Bogey Teams

5 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

What team does your club always seem to underperform against?

We always seem to do shite against Morton and Airdrie, hate playing them.

5 hours ago, Scosha said:

Hamilton. Can't recall watching us beat them. 

4 hours ago, Consolidate said:

Sevco.

Nine matches in the last two seasons. Nine defeats.

4 hours ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

You.

There's a difference between getting beaten by a team because they're better than you and getting regularly beaten by some sort of a curse, though. Much as the Dunfermline fans might not like to admit it, we've given them a few beatings in recent years because we've been better than them, likewise with their record against Ayr. Dumbarton losing 9 in a row to Rangers can hardly be considered as some sort of a hoodoo, can it?

I certainly wouldn't consider St. Mirren or Hamilton to be bogey teams for us, for example. Whilst Raith finished well clear of us, the three last minute winners last season would make them a more credible case- and if you add in Brechin's results the season before, McKinnon having the Indian sign over Duffy maybe more of a shout. Queen of the South's record at Cappielow was ridiculous for the best part of a generation, but hopefully that's been put to bed after six points last season against them at home.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are utterly incapable of beating ICT, and have a pretty poor record over the past few years against Falkirk.

Ayr always seem to get the better of us over the course of a season, even in the games we grab a point it's usually in the 98th minute. But without fail we finish above them. A quick check shows we've beaten them once from our last nine meetings - both seasons in which Ayr were relegated.

Looking forward to the inevitable defeat in the opening league game at Somerset.

Kilmarnock!!!

Since 97 it's been a fucking disaster.

They let us win the odd meaningless match when we were sharing the SPL but the important ones haven't seen us register a fucking goal let alone a win.

f**k you Killie

Kilmarnock!!!

Since 97 it's been a fucking disaster.

They let us win the odd meaningless match when we were sharing the SPL but the important ones haven't seen us register a fucking goal let alone a win.

f**k you Killie

I thought you scored a goal when you beat us 1-0 at your place in May?

Oh Gav.

it, we've given them a few beatings in recent years because we've been better than them, .

I think there's been two seasons in my lifetime Morton finished above us, even then we still beat them with our youth side when you were chasing the title? Beating us over a season when you were the better team wouldn't constitue you as being as being that team though.

I'd consider you more of a boggey side because even when we are the bigger, better team we'll usually come unstuck, in our title winning season down here you were the only side to win at EEP and in your first game up years ago Weatherston dinked the keeper.

38 minutes ago, Gaz FFC said:

the important ones haven't seen us register a fucking goal

I do agree our record against Killie in the big games has been poor. We did win the Scottish Cup against them though.

Also worth noting, in the 3 most recent crunch meetings they've been favourites in all three. Even in the League Cup Semi Final when we were in the same league, they finished well above us that season (5 points even with the much more difficult top 6 post split fixtures).

40 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

I thought you scored a goal when you beat us 1-0 at your place in May?

Oh Gav.

Ok I will give that 1.

The 2nd leg was always gonnae be the 1 that mattered.

And in true bogey style, we lost to nil.

10 minutes ago, NavyBlueArmy1876 said:

I do agree our record against Killie in the big games has been poor. We did win the Scottish Cup against them though.

Also worth noting, in the 3 most recent crunch meetings they've been favourites in all three. Even in the League Cup Semi Final when we were in the same league, they finished well above us that season (5 points even with the much more difficult top 6 post split fixtures).

I did say since 97.

I wasn't alive in 57 to get it up them.

9 hours ago, Grant228 said:

I think there's been two seasons in my lifetime Morton finished above us, even then we still beat them with our youth side when you were chasing the title? Beating us over a season when you were the better team wouldn't constitue you as being as being that team though.

I'd consider you more of a boggey side because even when we are the bigger, better team we'll usually come unstuck, in our title winning season down here you were the only side to win at EEP and in your first game up years ago Weatherston dinked the keeper.

We've finished above you in each of the last four seasons.

14 hours ago, Toby said:

There's a difference between getting beaten by a team because they're better than you and getting regularly beaten by some sort of a curse, though. Much as the Dunfermline fans might not like to admit it, we've given them a few beatings in recent years because we've been better than them, likewise with their record against Ayr. Dumbarton losing 9 in a row to Rangers can hardly be considered as some sort of a hoodoo, can it?

Yes, I take your point but in one of the seasons Rangers finished 3rd and every other team in the league took at least a point off them. It felt like a typical bogey team at that point in time.

17 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I almost feel guilty about your record against us. What was it - three seasons in the same league, loads of cup games and you only won once? JJ even sent the youth team to play you in a league game and you still didn't win.

It just got to the stage that it was absolutely ripping the hole. As soon as we saw black and white stripes, there was an earth-shattering arse collapse. Our 2-0 win at EEP last season made things slightly better, but then we went back to our default, 'bend over' mode.

8 minutes ago, AyrTroopMajor said:

It just got to the stage that it was absolutely ripping the hole. As soon as we saw black and white stripes, there was an earth-shattering arse collapse. Our 2-0 win at EEP last season made things slightly better, but then we went back to our default, 'bend over' mode.

Winning that game (and probably the leg break incident) just seemed to fire our players up. You could see how badly they wanted to win in the games at Ayr and even battling back in the next game at East End. Might be a bit closer this year without our wee overhead kick merchant. 

On 7/20/2016 at 18:28, Toby said:

I certainly wouldn't consider St. Mirren or Hamilton to be bogey teams for us, for example. Whilst Raith finished well clear of us, the three last minute winners last season would make them a more credible case- and if you add in Brechin's results the season before, McKinnon having the Indian sign over Duffy maybe more of a shout. Queen of the South's record at Cappielow was ridiculous for the best part of a generation, but hopefully that's been put to bed after six points last season against them at home.

I was talking about when were were challengers/champions a few seasons ago, we were always shite against Morton, especially at cappielow.

In more recent times we were just shite no matter who we played, before then we were miles better than morton but always did shite against them.

ICT have always been that team I've hated seeing us play. 

Last season it was Raith Rovers and annoyingly, Dumbarton. Falkirk beat us in 3 or the 4 but they were a comfortably better side. Raith took 10 from 12 points but every game was pretty tight stuff. Dumbarton also showed us up. 

On the other hand we took 9 from 12 against QotS in similar circumstances. 

Archived