Premiership 16/17

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Celtic - will win despite appointing multi million pound haddie as manager.

2. Aberdeen - Think Aberdeen's experience in the league will just edge out Rangers for runners up.

3. Rangers - Will be interesting to see how they do but I see other 'top' clubs helping them out by falling back this season.

4 Dundee - If they can hold on to Stewart and Hemmings, they should be good for T6.

5. Hearts - Tynecastle is always  tough venue but something seems to be wrong there and I can see them being poorer this season.

6. St. Johnstone - A good team, albeit one that is getting older and a bit injury prone.

7. Ross County - Another ground no one likes to go to but losing Irvine is a blow.  One of the few clubs with money so might find a good replacement.

8. Partick - Think Archibald has done a great job at Thistle, he's rebuilt the team twice but this year they have kept their best players so if they want to kick on it really has to be now.

9. Motherwell - We seem to be skint and are going into the new season with two central midfielders.  I do think we are only a couple of players away from being a decent side but games are won and lost in midfield and we are struggling there. Also starting season with our top striker injured.

10. Kilmarnock - Will Lee Clark's gamble pay off?  I don't think so in the long run.

11. Inverness - Like Motherwell seem to be skint and have a small squad.  There seems to be a bit of a gloomy atmosphere around Inverness at the moment and a rookie manager doesn't give much confidence.  Might struggle.

12. Hamilton - Surely this year?  They are battlers I'll give them that but if you take the best goalkeeper in the division out last years Accies team then they must be favourites for relegation?

2 hours ago, Steve_Wilkos said:

ICT are a popular choice to finish 11th. 

Pleasing. 

Steve Wilkos, Head of Pie & Bovril Security Ltd. 

Might happen, if Foran turns out to be completely clueless or manages to alienate the dressing room, but there doesn't seem to be much real knowledge or reasoning behind people putting us down as relegation candidates. With Warren, Meekings, Raven, Draper and Tansey, we've still got the nucleus of the team that finished third two seasons ago and won the Scottish Cup, and which finished comfortably in seventh last season despite losing two of our best players in Shinnie and Watkins, having horrendous injury problems and a manager playing some of the most negative football we've ever witnessed. Since then, the only first team regular we've lost is Miles Storey (leaving aside Christie, who we only had for the first 3-4 months of last season before he got injured), and tbh, Storey blew pretty hot and cold over the course of the season. The league is probably slightly stronger this season, but I still reckon that our squad should be strong enough to see a finish in the top half of the bottom six as the minimum expectation.      

5 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Might happen, if Foran turns out to be completely clueless or manages to alienate the dressing room, but there doesn't seem to be much real knowledge or reasoning behind people putting us down as relegation candidates. With Warren, Meekings, Raven, Draper and Tansey, we've still got the nucleus of the team that finished third two seasons ago and won the Scottish Cup, and which finished comfortably in seventh last season despite losing two of our best players in Shinnie and Watkins, having horrendous injury problems and a manager playing some of the most negative football we've ever witnessed. Since then, the only first team regular we've lost is Miles Storey (leaving aside Christie, who we only had for the first 3-4 months of last season before he got injured), and tbh, Storey blew pretty hot and cold over the course of the season. The league is probably slightly stronger this season, but I still reckon that our squad should be strong enough to see a finish in the top half of the bottom six as the minimum expectation.      

Tbf my prediction was based solely on the basis of Foran being a flop. I don't think there is much between the sides between 5th and 11th, I wouldn't even rule out Inverness for 5th if Foran turns out to be great.

23 minutes ago, alternative maryhill said:

Folk had us down for relegation when the year we won the Scottish Cup and finished third as well.  After finishing 5th the year before and getting to the League Cup final. Utter lunacy.

Guys like Warren, Meekings, Draper, Raven and Tansey absolutely stroll most games.  Particularly at home.

As with last season top 4, the rest in who knows what order, and one team rooted:

Celtic
Aberdeen
The Rangers
Hearts
St Johnstone/Dundee/Motherwell,
Ross County/Thistle/ICT/Kilmarnock
Accies

1. Celtic
  2. Heart of Midlothian
  3. Rangers
  4. Aberdeen
  5. Dundee