UEFA Nations League

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aye, we could actually get an interesting draw here based on how long it's been since we played some of these sides.

We haven't played Greece since Euro 96 qualifying, we've never played Albania or Montenegro, we haven't played Israel since WC 82 qualifying, we haven't played Finland since 98 and not competitively since Euro 96 qualifying, Bulgaria was 2006 in the Kirin Cup, although we've played Cyprus & Estonia in friendlies in 2011 & 2013 we haven't played Cyprus competitively since WC 90 qualifying or Estonia since Euro 2000 qualifying.

Stick on that we get Serbia and Lithuania, then.

23 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

The pots were confirmed last week and the draw will be held on 24 January. https://www.uefa.com/uefanationsleague/news/newsid=2522564.html#/

League C pots are:

Pot 1 - Hungary, Romania, Scotland, Slovenia

Pot 2 - Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway

Pot 3 - Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland

Pot 4 - Cyprus, Estonia, Lithuania

Additional quirk of the draw is that no more than two of Norway, Finland, Estonia & Lithuania can be drawn in the same group, apparently so they can avoid any of them playing home games in November. It's a bit weird considering it isn't an issue for UEFA for clubs from those countries play home European ties in November/December, but whatever.

Absolute certainty that we'll get Lithuania for the millionth time.

How many times have we drawn Lithuania since the end of the Soviet Union/CIS? It feels like we've only not had them for a couple of qualifiers. Probably quite prominent too with memories of Rangers v Kaunas and the Hearts connection. I think it's roughly about 5 since Euro 2000 (2000,2004,2008,2012, 2018).

Drew them in four successive Euro Qualifying Campaigns, the qualifiers for 2000, 04, 08 and 12 and in the most recent set of World Cup qualifiers.

Overall record:

Won 6

Drew 3

Lost 1

Home:

Won 4

Drawn 1

Lost 0

Away :

Won 2

Drawn 2

Lost 1

There are 2 different aspects at stake.

If we finish bottom (of the 4 team groups), or the 'worst 3rd bottom', we'll get relegated to Division D for the next edition... If we finish top of our section we get promoted to Division B for the next edition.

Separate from that is the question of Euro 2020 qualifying... Firstly, the seedings for that will apparently be based on NL finishing positions: an incentive to finish as high as possible. Secondly, the highest 4 teams from each division which don't qualify for Euro 2020 go into 2-round playoffs (and others can be lifted up to fill gaps above): another incentive to finish as high as possible.

I'm not sure who I'd want from the Pot 2 teams... clearly Serbia are handy, but Greece are no mugs having recovered from recent calamities, Albania qualified for Euro 2016 and Norway seem to be recovering. Similarly in Pot 3 you'd want to avoid Montenegro but Israel and Bulgaria are no mugs. Probably prefer to get in a 4-team group in the hope we take maximum points while a rival drops points, and would clearly take Estonia and prefer to avoid Cyprus.

• 1 month later...
Apologies if i have missed it, but after the draw, how long before we find out the fixtures?

Also when is the draw for euro 2020?

The fixtures are now done the same day I believe as it is now computerised.

On 12/11/2017 at 14:41, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Mouthwatering. 

I'm with you, but in a way that's a strength of the Nations League. If you want to get mouthwatering opposition, you need to beat the other teams at your level. If we win our group we'll be promoted to League B which has some decent countries, and that'll include four countries relegated from League A too.

Injects a bit more competition into it.

I honestly can't see why anyone - outside of sneering media types - can have a relevant bad word to say about the Nations League.  We'll get games against sides around our level, might be against sides we haven't faced in a while, have the chance of a second route into the Euros, and gives more interesting fare than a hastily arranged friendly would.  

Archived