UEFA Nations League

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing I'm still not sure about in the NL is whether you want to be in the the 3 team group in League C.

I mean surely when it comes to choosing who is the best ranked team left for the playoffs, you'd want to be in the group which you can get the most points from? For example, say Hungary top their League C group and also top their normal quali group. One position is then going to a 2nd place team from group 1,2,3 or 4.  Group 2,3 & 4 have six games to gather as many points as they can, while Group 1 has 4 games. That seems clear to me that you want to avoid the 3 team group, but in the three scenarios given in that uefa document, every single time they give the position to the team in the 3 team group (whether via group ranking or the messed up overall ranking). Is this just a coincidence (or covering up a flaw)?

I've said it before but this screams out for the points of the 4th placed teams to be dropped. It wouldn't be perfect for multiple reasons, but it'd be better than how it seems to work just now.

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Having wrapped a cold towel around my head and looked again, some of those pots may not be confirmed tbf - the colour indicators presumably just show divisions. Some of them have still to play tonight or tomorrow, and Greece could have a playoff next month.

We've never played Albania or Montenegro, btw.

There's this which sort of helps and sort of makes things more confusing.

It would give 2nd placed teams an advantage over everyone (including 1st placed teams) if they included playoffs.

47 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Thanks Charger29.

I'm sure I read (perhaps half-numbed amidst the 89-page explanatory :lol:!) that results v 4th in C2-C4 are dropped for rankings, and deciding final Division C team relegated.

I hope you're right. 89 pages is too much but from a search for 'League C' there's nothing relevant.

Don't want to miss out on a playoff based on UEFA's stupidity, we've got enough of that at the SFA.

13 hours ago, charger29 said:

There's this which sort of helps and sort of makes things more confusing.

It would give 2nd placed teams an advantage over everyone (including 1st placed teams) if they included playoffs.

Thanks for that, makes things a bit clearer as to where we're going to be (if it's accurate).  Quite happy with the pots - I don't see any reason we shouldn't be able to beat anyone in a potential group, and if we actually take it seriously then it gives us a good test as to the sorts of games we're going to have to be winning consistently in qualifying.

12 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Shouldn't they just go the whole hog and have two separate Euros. A diddy and normals finals tournament.

Like the Champions League and the  UEFA Thursday Night League?  

A wee bit excited by this. I don't think having a super easy draw would do us many favours going into qualifying proper. I want Serbia or Greece. I also want Bulgaria (I have some Bulgarian pals) and I don't care overly much about the bottom team. Este, maybe. 

Nice to no longer be talking about the world cup in Russia, tbh.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

A wee bit excited by this. I don't think having a super easy draw would do us many favours going into qualifying proper. I want Serbia or Greece. I also want Bulgaria (I have some Bulgarian pals) and I don't care overly much about the bottom team. Este, maybe. 

Nice to no longer be talking about the world cup in Russia, tbh.

A super easy draw would do us lots of favours.

1. We'd have more chance of winning the NL group and going into it's playoffs.

2. We'd have more chance of being in pot 3 instead of pot 4 for standard euro quali.

3. We wouldn't be risking relegation to D and maybe tanking our fifa ranking by playing minnows.

4. We could get promoted and have a chance of pot 2 for 2024.

This should be seen as a 3rd quali tournament imo, not as a test for standard quali. A draw of Scotland/Serbia/Bulgaria+/- Estonia would be worrying.

League C confirmed, along with Hungary, Romania, Slovenia, Greece, Serbia, Albania, Norway, Montenegro, Israel, Bulgaria, Finland, Cyprus, Estonia and Lithuania.

Let's be honest - if we have any aspirations of ever qualifying for a major tournament again, we need to be capable of utterly skooshing any group selected from that lot.

But these are precisely the teams we always struggle against in qualifying. 

They probably could’ve introduced a competition with even more games to pay for after a competition in which we’ll be travelling across Europe, providing we qualify. I think Euro 2020 is disastrous enough without this, and there really won’t be a good competition for the fans for a while. Thankfully we’re shite.
Here’s hoping they don’t f**k up Euro 2024!

7 minutes ago, lanky_ffc said:

Am I right in thinking that seeding for Euro 2020 qualifying will be based on UEFA coefficient after completion of Nations League? A good campaign in the NL could see us jump into Pot 2 for qualifiers.

No. UEFA coefficient is being done away with, except as a tie breaker.  HibeeJibee explained it in second comment of the previous page. Pots and leagues don't overlap perfectly, so we need to finish as high up your group/league as possible to get pot 3 and avoid pot 4 for standard quali. We can't get into pot 2 (for euros anyway) until 2024 at the earliest unfortunately.

No it's ranked down the divisions so bottom in Division A will be directly ahead of top in Division B. Next time around they'll have swapped over, though, obviously.

Here's full pot breakdown:

DLzef2dUQAA5RYY.jpg

Here is an explanatory of how seeding pots for Euro 2020 qualifying will be decided. As you can see all bar the worst 2 of the bottom finishers in Division A will be in Pot 1. Competition within Division B (for Pot 2 not Pot 3) and in Division C (for Pot 3 not Pot 4) will be fairly open. Our aim beyond the basics of getting promoted and as high a place as possible to try and secure a play-off place as insurance, will be to win our section or finish as either of the best 2 runners-up - to land Pot 3 for Euro 2020 qualifying. As you can see Division B has a single Pot 4 place to pursue.

Dzs2SMl.png

Looks 50/50 on whether we'll get a tough draw or not. Greece and Serbia the ones to avoid in Pot 2; Montenegro and Israel in Pot 3; probably Cyprus in Pot 4.

Albania, Finland, Estonia ideally.

Archived