The BetFred Cup Attendance thread

lionel hutz

It's either this or pre season friendlies. 

It's maybe not that far away from being as useful start to the season. Hartley has mentioned being able to use more than 3 subs in this competition and many have been calling for trialists to be allowed. Maybe a couple of changes like that and it may serve a better purpose?

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Have some faith in Magic said:

But the preseason friendlies taken place too. By the time we play our first league game, we'd have played 9 games when you add the Challenge Cup game next week. That's just madness, particularly when you've got a small part time squad. 

7 minutes ago, Radford said:

Initially I liked idea of more subs, then envisaged the situation where a team in the lead wastes the last five minutes making individual substitutions...

Would like to see it tempered maybr with teams only able to make one change after the 85th minute, or something.

Increasing sub numbers would be great for the managers but crap for the game unfortunately. If you want to experiment, play friendlies. There are reasons why the format didn't work before and is the same reason it won't work this time- meaningless games lead to crap crowds lead to clubs losing money. All before the season actually starts, increasing the risk of players getting injured (in meaningless games) and being unavailable for the start of the league. 

I don't mind the new format. As been said it's much better than meaningless friendlies. Usually give them a swerve but with decent admission prices for these games I'll attend the ones I can. It would be better if clubs were allowed to use 5 subs at this stage in the tournament though as players are still short on match fitness this early in the season.

You are absolutely clutching at straws here. I'm not even convinced you know what you're arguing about.

I've got no idea what East Fife's pre-season plan is and neither do you; whether they prepared specially for the Dundee match, or if it's a part of their bigger preparations for the league season. Naysmith was actually on Radio Scotland last Sunday talking about it but all I really heard was him mentioning that he's arranged an extra friendly for the final Saturday of league cup matches as he wants his team to not lose any momentum going into the league.

I could pick out full-time Airdrie losing two similar matches (and they DID start pre-season early), or Championship Dumbarton who have got one point from games against lower division sides East Fife/Forfar. I'm not really sure what your example has got anything to do with Clyde's preparation.

BF made comments about using the league cup matches as pre-season preparation as far back as April so claiming it's merely an excuse is also incorrect. His actual excuse for losing on Tuesday was that the players didn't play well enough.

Erm no - it is entirely an excuse. An ordinary part-time team has strolled to the top of a group format that you and your loser manager are whining about. What - specifically - prevents Clyde from performing as well as East Fife have done in the same tournament?

Other than being a totally gubbins football club managed by an absolute clown of course.

1 hour ago, sydney said:

Thing is Owsley, it's not even a new format. It's a reintroduction of a format used in the late 70s/ early 80s (can't be bothered checking the exact dates). Ok, they've introduced penalty shoot outs but it's basically the same. It was crap then and it's crap now, for the very reason you mention. Loads of pointless games. Total waste of time. 

Your crap club are actually entitled to go and win these games you know. The tournament only becomes pointless as a result of panting yourselves at the sight of sterner opposition.

13 minutes ago, Firhill Road said:

Your crap club are actually entitled to go and win these games you know. The tournament only becomes pointless as a result of panting yourselves at the sight of sterner opposition.

You've just provided an answer to an entirely different question. Well done, but alas "nil point". 

48 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Erm no - it is entirely an excuse. An ordinary part-time team has strolled to the top of a group format that you and your loser manager are whining about. What - specifically - prevents Clyde from performing as well as East Fife have done in the same tournament?

Other than being a totally gubbins football club managed by an absolute clown of course.

Barry Ferguson isn't moaning at all about the format. In fact, he said following today's match; "I like the competition. I'm all for change".

Personally, I love the new cup format. The draw was exciting. We've had more competitive cup games than usual, playing different sides. We've had three very different matches which will prepare us for the league season. Not sure when I've whined about it, because I haven't. 

Again, I'm not really convinced that you know what you're arguing about and the fact you're resorting to making stuff up shows that. I appreciate the effort though.

Barry Ferguson isn't moaning at all about the format. In fact, he said following today's match; "I like the competition. I'm all for change".

Personally, I love the new cup format. The draw was exciting. We've had more competitive cup games than usual, playing different sides. We've had three very different matches which will prepare us for the league season. Not sure when I've whined about it, because I haven't. 

Again, I'm not really convinced that you know what you're arguing about and the fact you're resorting to making stuff up shows that. I appreciate the effort though.

Erm no, Barry Ferguson has certainly been moaning about it. He moaned about starting the season a week earlier than usual, after somehow losing to a garbage Kilmarnock side at home. He then mewled again about the cup setup to the Greenock Telegraph, after being put back in his box against Morton in midweek. Your bigot manager is just shit at his job though. Which is why East Fife have topped their group with a comparable fixture list to yourselves. and will pocket the six figure sum that will accompany their progression to the last sixteen. While you have been effortlessly papped out by The Famous.

Better luck next time, champ.

A perfectly good format, providing competitive games worth watching as well as decent gates.

Increased numbers of subs should not be allowed as it favours those with bigger, stronger squads, who are already favoured by the seeding.

I see it as a chance for teams fans to visit other grounds theyve never been to. Edinburgh city visited somerset park, they may not play one another for years. Same with Killie coming to Berwick this tuesday night, Cove coming down to places. Motherwell at Annan. Its not a total waste of time really.

14 hours ago, sydney said:

Thing is Owsley, it's not even a new format. It's a reintroduction of a format used in the late 70s/ early 80s (can't be bothered checking the exact dates). Ok, they've introduced penalty shoot outs but it's basically the same. It was crap then and it's crap now, for the very reason you mention. Loads of pointless games. Total waste of time. 

I know, I was there in the early 80s. It was 81/82 and 82/83. Lasted two seasons and was scrapped because of all the meaningless matches and crap crowds. They brought in the Skol Cup two seasons later and it was a breath of fresh air. It's just got stale and many can't be bothered with the very early rounds or are on holiday. If it had been a straight knock out yesterday I'd have gone. Bring back the old format, make it £10 and £2 across the board, and if sponsors and TV have any sense they'd stick with it. This penalties nonsense is a total farce. You win but you don't really win. Last season Accies just needed to win two games to reach the Quarter Finals, this season they need to play five matches. If that's not ripping off the fans I don't know what is.

4 minutes ago, Owsley said:

I know, I was there in the early 80s. It was 81/82 and 82/83. Lasted two seasons and was scrapped because of all the meaningless matches and crap crowds. They brought in the Skol Cup two seasons later and it was a breath of fresh air. It's just got stale and many can't be bothered with the very early rounds or are on holiday. If it had been a straight knock out yesterday I'd have gone. Bring back the old format, make it £10 and £2 across the board, and if sponsors and TV have any sense they'd stick with it. This penalties nonsense is a total farce. You win but you don't really win. Last season Accies just needed to win two games to reach the Quarter Finals, this season they need to play five matches. If that's not ripping off the fans I don't know what is.

I'm pretty sure they had the group format in the 70's as well.

Don't see how having extra fixtures, potentially against higher league opponents for many clubs, is ripping fans off.  By your argument, would you say league matches for most of the teams who are not fighting for the title/ promotion/ relegation are also a rip off and a total waste of time?

From a money point of view, I would think this must be great for the lower league clubs.  In addition to more tv coverage at the earlier stage, club's main form of income is from a match day, so increasing games must give them a bit more income than previously.  And as mentioned a few times already, far higher income than friendlies.

from a personal point of view, the long season going to the same grounds on a regular basis, season after season can get a bit monotonous.. In the past few years in the league/ Scottish cup, we've also played Kilmarnock 3 times.  That's torture for both clubs when you play each other so often anyway.  This league cup format give us guaranteed matches at different grounds, it's a breath of fresh air!

Archived