The BetFred Cup Attendance thread

lionel hutz

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Safe to say that fans don't give a shit about this new cup format.

I've a feeling all games could've been £5 for adults and crowds still would've been shit.

A lot of punters need the game to be unmissable to turn up. 

23 minutes ago, CALDERON said:

1,147 at Starks last night.  Standard mid-week cup tie, actually a bit more than that. 

Our last midweek cup game against Montrose in August 2012 drew a crowd of only 773. 

It was the Challenge Cup rather than league cup though.

The fact that both the Morton website and local paper gave next to no coverage or pricing information explains why folk found or already had something much better to do with their time on one of the nicest days of the year; it was an abysmally marketed event by the club. Clyde's travelling support was respectable. 

3 hours ago, Gaz FFC said:

Safe to say that fans don't give a shit about this new cup format.

I've a feeling all games could've been £5 for adults and crowds still would've been shit.

A lot of punters need the game to be unmissable to turn up. 

Nobody gives a shit because a lot of the teams don't give a shit. I like the new format but it starts too early and clubs are just using it as part of their pre season. We're never going to pull in larger than normal crowd when our manager said before it kicked off he'll be using the games to focus on fitness. 

For what it's worth however, Kilmarnock brought a very healthy support on Saturday there and our support at Morton looked decent from where I was sitting - although it may have looked bigger because we were in such a compacted section of the stand. I doubt our final two games will hit the 400 mark. 

15 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

The fact that both the Morton website and local paper gave next to no coverage or pricing information explains why folk found or already had something much better to do with their time on one of the nicest days of the year; it was an abysmally marketed event by the club. Clyde's travelling support was respectable. 

I've read that about 5 times to check if you actually said something positive about Clyde :lol:

I thought league cup groups and summer football were instrumental in packing grounds to the rafters rather than the abysmal crowds we’re seeing; or would that only be in a group of 4 playing teams twice with 16 team leagues?

BetFred Cup Match Day 2 crowds:

Tuesday 18th July

1. Alloa Athletic 4-0 Cove Rangers - 213
  2. Berwick Rangers  0-0 (5-4p) Albion Rovers - 323
  3. Brechin City 2-1 Stirling Albion - 362
  4. Dumbarton 0-2 East Fife - 452
  5. Dundee United 6-1 Cowdenbeath - 3,360 (looked about 800-1000 more than that tbf)
  6. Dunfermline 3-0 Arbroath - 1,974
  7. Falkirk 3-0 Elgin City - 1,278
  8. Greenock Morton 1-0 Clyde - 931
  9. Peterhead 2-0 Forfar Ath - 508
  10. Queen of the South 2-0 Airdrieonians 1,036
  11. Raith Rovers 2-1 Montrose - 1,147
  12. THE 2-0 Annan - 31,268
  13. St Mirren 1-0 Ayr United - 2,098
  14. Stenhousemuir 0-2 Queens Park - 273
  15. Stranraer 3-0 East Stirlingshire - 373

Wednesday 19th July

1. Edinburgh City 0-3 Livingston - 595

Well, two down, three to go. Around twelve sides realistically out already which, as C.Muir alludes to, will see crowds plummet. What price that Cockwomble, in his assessment at the end of the tournament, come up with anything other than 'the fans clearly don't endorse the competition.....i mean, YOU wanted summer football, i gave it yer! It must be the competition.....we'll have to scrap it'. As for the Irn-Bru Chewy Bar u12's Cup, coming to a public park near you soon, it'll follow the same path. Mark my words. 

The majority of clubs getting papped out already would have been papped out by a seeded club in Round 1 of the old format. Splitting four gates before exiting will quite clearly yield higher gate revenues for almost every club in the competition than a First Round exit under the old format. Meanwhile clubs who should have made it through to Rounds 2 or 3 before but aren't competitive in their group have nothing to blame but their own poor performance or bad luck of the draw, The majority of clubs will unquestionably earn more than they would have earned before, so the format won't be going anywhere and for a good reason: even if we leave to one side the TV deal. Fairly straightforward stuff.

Managers, journalists and fans gurning about a lack of opportunity for a team to progress, or deciding to treat a decent cash-cow as a set of pre-season warm-ups before a thrilling crack at midtable mediocrity should be taking note of East Fife, who are excellently placed to qualify for the last 16 with all the potential match-ups that entails. The complacency/rustiness of some bigger sides has, this year at least, made it easier for smaller clubs to progress than before - rather than drawing a Championship club at the end of July, then a Premiership outfit in mid-August when the league season is well underway. 

I wasn't gurning about the change, if anything i agree that the pros definitely outweigh the cons, and a reasonably chunkier slice of the pie for all clubs is clearly a very good thing.

Where i am pre-empting the future workings of Cockwomble, is that within the last eighteen months he has been instructed as to what the Scottish football fan wants, has delivered it, and yet hasn't seen anything like the flocks of disillusioned/lapsed fans which those advocating summer football had promised him....or, for that matter, attempted to railroad those fans into stupidly believing that it would aid the product. 

A semi-decent wedge now for the clubs, (26/28 normally elimanated after two rounds previously iirc) might not exist within a few years when the bellend running it decides it can't possibly be him or his format, but the competition itself which is obsolete. 

I can't believe ( I can) thicko managers like Barry Ferguson on the radio last night saying they were treating it like pre season.

I also can't believe thickos like Dick Campbell not knowing whether or not arbroath had got a point from the Unitd  game.

I can't believe ( I can) thicko managers like Barry Ferguson on the radio last night saying they were treating it like pre season.

I also can't believe thickos like Dick Campbell not knowing whether or not arbroath had got a point from the Unitd  game.

If Campbell has said that it's a shocker. A manager not knowing how a competition his team are in works :lol:

Archived