The BetFred Cup Attendance thread

lionel hutz

Just now, Marr1 said:

Rangers is a bit below what you expect, I would have said there would be 35,000+ there, then again I don't how much it was PATG.

I think it's been a terrific attendance from us and am surprised that the chap overlooked it just to make a point.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Rangers have the bestest fans in the world, well done to them for filling more than half the stadium.

1 minute ago, the_saints_are_coming said:

Brechin's crowd was 70% higher than their average gate last season. Hardly shite.

912. For what is an established top six side, travelling to a ground that's less than an hour away, on a sunny summer's evening. Shite might be an exaggeration but it's certainly not good.

There was 923 at a Forfarshire Cup match (aka a friendly) between Brechin vs United match three weeks ago FFS!

14 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Matchday 4:

Monday 24th July:

1. Rangers 3-0 Stranraer - 29,575

Tuesday 25th July:

1. Albion Rovers 1-2 Clyde - 377
  2. Alloa Athletic 3-2 Ross County - 319
  3. Berwick Rangers 2-3 Kilmarnock - 609
  4. Brechin City 1-1 St Johnstone (4-2 pens) - 912
  5. Dunfermline 1-5 Inverness CT - 2,580 
  6. Forfar Athletic 2-0 East Fife - 565
  7. Livingston 0-2 Ayr United - 643
  8. Motherwell 3-0 East Stirlingshire - 2,503
  9. Peterhead 2-0 Dundee - 998
  10. Queens' Park 3-3 Airdrieonians (7-8pens) - 553
  11. Stirling Albion 4-1 Elgin City - 553

Wednesday 26th July:

1. Arbroath 0-2 Cowdendeath - 421
  2. Cove Rangers 3-0 Montrose (@ Forfar) - 189
  3. Edinburgh City 2-4 Hamilton Academical - 459

All in All, the crowds were shite with the exception of Dunfermline and Stirling Albion

Whether you compare with friendlies or what an equivalent knock out league cup tie would draw in no way could you say the crowds at Rangers, Brechin, motherwell or peterhead were shite.

Without bothering to look it up I would imagine Forfar, queens park and Stirling are all in and around what you would expect for that fixture in the league.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

Whether you compare with friendlies or what an equivalent knock out league cup tie would draw in no way could you say the crowds at Rangers, Brechin, motherwell or peterhead were shite.

Without bothering to look it up I would imagine Forfar, queens park and Stirling are all in and around what you would expect for that fixture in the league.

I did change the post after looking at the crowds Motherwell, QP and Peterhead, but isn't the idea of summer football is supposed to attract more fans to games than a 2nd round league cup match a month or two later in the year?

Also I forgot to give kudos to Edinburgh City, as I can probably say that Accies didn't bring a huge away support.

It is clearly an exaggeration to call them "sh*te" - but tbf Brechin-St Johnstone, Peterhead-Dundee and Alloa-Ross County crowds were surprisingly low for me. You can't just contrast with the home club's average league attendance - the away teams have a larger travelling support and a bigger attraction than the clubs they normally face in SPFL1 or SPFL2. These Premiership clubs were also in need of the points, and in the case of Brechin-St Johnstone it was a local game. Over 3,000 people went to Arbroath-Dundee Utd, also an evening tie.

If you'd asked in advance I'd not have expected Peterhead-Dundee and Brechin-St Johnstone to be sub-1,000 or Alloa-Ross County to be just over 300. Alloa-Cove last midweek got 2/3.

Saints might have taken 1,000 at an extreme push to Brechin on a Saturday afternoon but 500-600 (based on crowd of 362 at Glebe Park the week before) on a rainy Tuesday night is a sign of success for the competition, not the opposite.

28 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

In terms of comparing with knockout cup-tie crowds over the last decade or so equivalent crowds for Alloa v Ross County are 424, 414... Peterhead v Dundee is 844 which is actually lower... Brechin v St Johnstone is 3,874 (but this was a Scottish Cup QF on a weekend!), 1,007. So in the case of Alloa and Brechin then were perhaps 100 or so lower than you may have expected in a knockout tie. I suppose that is a reflection that a knockout tie will usually have the edge over a sectional game.

Not criticising St Johnstone or Dundee's support. Beforehand I genuinely would've expected Peterhead-Dundee and Brechin-Saints to exceed 1,000; Alloa-County perhaps 400-500 (btw both those 400-odds were several years ago when County were "smaller"). Wrongly, evidently.

Only HibeeJibee would expect a similar support for a League Cup Group stage game played midweek during the school holidays, as you get for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final on a Saturday

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

Crowds tonight of 459 for Edinburgh City v Hamilton... 189 for Cove v Montrose... 421 for Arbroath v Cowdenbeath.

That crowd for Cove must be the lowest LC crowd for many a year - perhaps even decade - but granted it was at Forfar and they are a non-league team.

For a club averaging 150 or so in LL it's been 2 impressive crowds for City - they got 525 versus Livingston last midweek. Will be interesting to see if they keep it up in SPFL2.

Someone mentioned no official crowd for Ross County v Raith, at the weekend - it is given elsewhere as 1,173.

http://www.raithrovers.net/fixtures-past

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_Raith_Rovers_F.C._season#Scottish_League_Cup

Probably just as well it was Montrose that Cove were playing I would imagine most of the crowd were Mo fans with the odd Forfar fan with nothing better to do on a Wednesday night.

19 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Only HibeeJibee would expect a similar support for a League Cup Group stage game played midweek during the school holidays, as you get for a Scottish Cup Quarter Final on a Saturday

HJ's role is to be a sane voice...and he does it brilliantly.

4 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

Probably just as well it was Montrose that Cove were playing I would imagine most of the crowd were Mo fans with the odd Forfar fan with nothing better to do on a Wednesday night.

Something around the 200 mark wasn't hugely surprising as they only managed 362 against Raith Rovers on the opening weekend. It raises interesting questions of how many they'll get against Dundee 'B' in the Challenge Cup, though... On the one hand it's a "live" tie whereas tonight wasn't - on the other it's a less prestigious cup, their third evening trip to Forfar in as many weeks, and I don't imagine many people follow Dundee's youth team away from home. I suppose the crux will be how many Dees plump for a trip into Angus as a one-off.

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

Something around the 200 mark wasn't hugely surprising as they only managed 362 against Raith Rovers on the opening weekend. It raises interesting questions of how many they'll get against Dundee 'B' in the Challenge Cup, though... On the one hand it's a "live" tie whereas tonight wasn't - on the other it's a less prestigious cup, their third evening trip to Forfar in as many weeks, and I don't imagine many people follow Dundee's youth team away from home. I suppose the crux will be how many Dees plump for a trip into Angus as a one-off.

Out of interest what was their average "home" crowd last season at their various grounds. They were always going to get poor crowds at Forfar a wee bit of a treck in midweek I take it none of their HL landlords were willing to rent their grounds out for the cup ties?

I'm sure Dundee used to use Station Park for their under 20 games in the past, I suppose folk who watch their home DL games would make the trip its not that far away after all.

Archived