The BetFred Cup Attendance thread

lionel hutz

33 minutes ago, Owsley said:

I know, I was there in the early 80s. It was 81/82 and 82/83. Lasted two seasons and was scrapped because of all the meaningless matches and crap crowds. They brought in the Skol Cup two seasons later and it was a breath of fresh air. It's just got stale and many can't be bothered with the very early rounds or are on holiday. If it had been a straight knock out yesterday I'd have gone. Bring back the old format, make it £10 and £2 across the board, and if sponsors and TV have any sense they'd stick with it. This penalties nonsense is a total farce. You win but you don't really win. Last season Accies just needed to win two games to reach the Quarter Finals, this season they need to play five matches. If that's not ripping off the fans I don't know what is.

The fact that Hamilton need to negotiate more fixtures to reach the quarter finals isn't really the best basis on which to dismiss the tournament.  

I'm sure they've had sections for more than just two seasons in the past.  For me, this works well.  I can't be arsed with friendlies and this brings meaningful stuff into play sooner.  As others have said, it also offers some welcome variety.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, sydney said:

But the preseason friendlies taken place too. By the time we play our first league game, we'd have played 9 games when you add the Challenge Cup game next week. That's just madness, particularly when you've got a small part time squad. 

You knew there would be 4 League Cup games and 1 Challenge Cup game, so if you think playing 9 games with a small squad is going to be tough to handle, then don't book 4 fucking friendlies in addition to compulsory matches.

Just to say, East Fife booked and played 4 Friendlies before our Betfred games!!!

We're doing ok!!!

I like the new format. It's been a decent earner for us and we got a decent draw. I enjoyed seeing us play a competitive game against United, the late goals and then penalties made it exciting and entertaining to watch. I'm also looking forward to going to Inverness' ground for the first time. The only criticism I have is that trialists should be allowed imo.

13 hours ago, vikingTON said:

Erm no, Barry Ferguson has certainly been moaning about it. He moaned about starting the season a week earlier than usual, after somehow losing to a garbage Kilmarnock side at home. He then mewled again about the cup setup to the Greenock Telegraph, after being put back in his box against Morton in midweek. Your bigot manager is just shit at his job though. Which is why East Fife have topped their group with a comparable fixture list to yourselves. and will pocket the six figure sum that will accompany their progression to the last sixteen. While you have been effortlessly papped out by The Famous.

Better luck next time, champ.

Again, thanks for trying. I appreciate you're pulling out all yout catchphrases to cover the fact you still don't know what you're arguing about! And you're telling more lies!

The Greenock Telegraph is online and he said no such thing. In fact he actually says the fact it's preseason ISN'T an excuse. 

Try again? I'll give you one final shot.

What crowds were folk expecting? Seem about average for the league cup, if not better and a whole host of teams who usually only get one or two games in the tournament are getting at least four so more folk through the gates and more cash

I'm certain this has actually been a good idea.

By the end of July the majority of teams are weeded out - but with the added bonus of a few extra quid surely?

Elgin for example must have enjoyed the decent size crowd for Saints visit last week and we saw nearly 3000 at Saints v Falkirk yesterday. That's not too bad a crowd at all considering.

From a personal point of view we've visited a ground that we've never played at competitively and might not again for some time.

The crowd of less than 400 for the first of at least 5 games between Clyde and Berwick this year was probably to be expected. Seeing Clyde play Kilmarnock and Morton has been a nice change of scenery. Most importantly it has been miles better than playing friendlies.

19 hours ago, Owsley said:

I know, I was there in the early 80s. It was 81/82 and 82/83. Lasted two seasons and was scrapped because of all the meaningless matches and crap crowds. They brought in the Skol Cup two seasons later and it was a breath of fresh air. It's just got stale and many can't be bothered with the very early rounds or are on holiday. If it had been a straight knock out yesterday I'd have gone. Bring back the old format, make it £10 and £2 across the board, and if sponsors and TV have any sense they'd stick with it. This penalties nonsense is a total farce. You win but you don't really win. Last season Accies just needed to win two games to reach the Quarter Finals, this season they need to play five matches. If that's not ripping off the fans I don't know what is.

Haven't checked during the war (cup started in 1940) but from 1946-47 to 1975-76 there were mini league groups.

From 1976-77 to 1980-81 they had a pure knockout competition - I assume to follow the leagues themselves having reorganised the previous year.

For seasons 1981-82 to 1983-84 the sections returned.

The League Cup reverted to knockout from 1984-85 season.

Guest Flash
3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Haven't checked during the war (cup started in 1940) but from 1946-47 to 1975-76 there were mini league groups.

From 1976-77 to 1980-81 they had a pure knockout competition - I assume to follow the leagues themselves having reorganised the previous year.

It was still groups in 76-77. Although it was knockout from 77-78 to 80-81, the ties were home and away.

12 hours ago, Flash said:

It was still groups in 76-77. Although it was knockout from 77-78 to 80-81, the ties were home and away.

Yes, the famous 6-0 win over Dundee was part of a two leg tie.

Did we not beat Rangers in a game then as well, but lose the tie?

On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2016 at 07:38, cmontheloknow said:

No, in 1983/84 it reverted back to two legged ties, it went to straight knockout the following season in the new Skol League Cup. Sections were definitely scrapped after two seasons.

15 minutes ago, Owsley said:

No, in 1983/84 it reverted back to two legged ties, it went to straight knockout the following season in the new Skol League Cup. Sections were definitely scrapped after two seasons.

But sections had existed for a long time, until just a little earlier.

You make it sound like the whole idea was very short lived, but it wasn't.

Archived