The League Cup first weekend

Not sure how much to read into the results, half the teams likely aren't fit or even have a full squad yet. 

Biggest talking point is likely Dundee shitting themselves against East Fife.

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Dundee doing their best to Dundee yet another cup competition early on.

I missed that looking through the scores.  Still, The Dee Boys are usually vociferous so we'll see a few of them posting ;)

44 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

In what way is Albion Rovers losing on penalties to The Famous pleasing to a gin-addled moron like yourself? Bizarre.

They didn't lose on penalties, they drew then lost the penalty shoot out. HTH

Obviously after one game it's too early to say how each group is going to look in the end, but what are people's thoughts on how many points are likely to be needed to be one of the best second placed teams?

I remember seeing a table before the tournament started showing the probability of getting through the Euro 2016 groups based on your number of points and goal difference: I suppose something like that would take forever to make up for one of our resident statisticians? @craigkillie?

Obviously 11 or 12 points guarantees you win the group. Moving beyond that, the permutations for each number of points:

10 points - three wins & a draw with no bonus point / 2 wins & 2 draws with 2 bonus points

9 points - 3 wins & a defeat / 2 wins & 2 draws with 1 bonus point / 1 win & 3 draws with 3 bonus points

8 points - 2 wins, a defeat & a draw with 1 bonus point / 2 wins & 2 draws with no bonus points / 1 win & 3 draws with 2 bonus points / 4 draws with bonus points

You could finish second with 7 points as well but the chances of being one of the best second placed teams with that number of points are surely minuscule so I've stopped there.

I know bugger all about calculating probabilities but I'd say it's looking pretty unlikely for teams to be going through with 8 points here. You'd think we'll end up with at least a couple of second placed teams on 9 points through seeded teams beating all the unseeded clubs then losing to the other seeded team. You could also see, say, Dundee United ending up on 9 via beating Dunfermline & Cowdenbeath then drawing with ICT.

Beyond that a second placed team with 10 points isn't a wildly unrealistic scenario. Taking Group D as the example, Ross County & Raith both beat Alloa, Cove & Montrose. Raith & Ross County draw, with whoever wins the shootout topping the group on 11 and the second placed team on 10.

Based on that I reckon we'll only have one second placed team with 8 points getting through at most, so they'll realistically need to be dishing out a pumping in one of their wins to go through on goal difference ahead of the others

I was thinking about this at our game yesterday, and my initial thought was that 8 points would probably be enough.  I feel like a few of the groups will have the Premiership side winning all 4 matches, which would leave the other clubs with a maximum of 9 points.  I reckon some of the Championship and League 1 teams will take points off each other in these groups.

It's hard to think about at the moment because it's the first time - and my head is thumping after a long haul flight so I can't be bothered trying to put together all the permutations for a group.

Did a simulation based on entirely random results ( 40% home win, 30% draw, 30% away win) with a maximum score of 4-0 to stop mental GDs and I assume the home team wins every penalty shoot out. Started from scratch so ignored yesterday's results as I've obviously ranked all the teams as equal by doing random results.

Won't be totally accurate for the reasons Craig listed above but might be a useful guide, or I could delete it in shame.

I ran 1000 sims, and the smallest total to get through as one of the best 4 runners up was 6 points, +1 GD, 1 out of 1000 or 0.1%

For the rest see the spoiler

TL; DR version- 8 will more likely get you in than not, but 9 and a positive goal difference could still see you out, or you could scrape in with 6 or 7.

Spoiler

6 points, +2 GD = 1.2%

6 points, +3 GD = 3.8%

7 points, -2 GD = 5.1%

7 points, -1 GD = 5.7%

7 points, 0 GD = 8.2%

7 points, + 1 GD = 13.9%

7 points, +2 GD = 27.1%

7 points, + 3 GD =44.3%

7 points, + 4 GD = 54.6%

8 points, -2 GD = 62.6%

8 points, -1 GD = 63.2%

8 points, 0 GD = 65.5%

8 points, +1 GD = 72%

8 points, +2 GD = 86.3%

8 points, + 3 GD = 93.6%

9 points, -2 GD = 98.7%

9 points, -1 GD = 98.7%

9 points, 0 GD =  98.8%

9 points, +1 GD = 99.1%

9 points, +2 GD = 99.6%

9 points, + 3 GD or 10 points = 100%

If we can beat Brechin and Elgin, we could go into the last game at McDiarmid reasonably secure of making it into the next round. As long as Saints beat Falkirk. 

Of course, it's the Albion, therefore we'll probably still finish bottom of the group. 

Archived