Airdrieonians vs. Patrick Thistle 15/07/16

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought Airdrie acquitted themselves quite well but similarly to the Clyde game we were riding our luck defensively for the first 15 to 20 minutes.

Could easily have taken something from the game and it's very disappointing that it took a f**k up from Faria to gift Thistle their goal.

Thought we played well and possibly deserved to take something from that. We can knock the ball about well which is encouraging. Really impressed with Rohan's distribution of the ball.

That was a bit dull, but a fairly comfortable win. No real complaints with any individual performances, although you could see a few of them were slightly lacking in sharpness, which is totally understandable. I thought Azeez looked very lively when he came on - probably had more involvement in the 30 or so minutes he was on the pitch than most of the players who played the full 90. Wilson has definitely bulked up since last season and looks a lot more like a footballer, rather than a young fan that's been pulled out of the crowd and asked if he fancies a game. Not much more needs to be said about Kris Doolan. :wub:

Airdrie look a solid enough team, players like Russell and Conroy should be stand-outs at that level and they should be in the hunt for promotion.

I know that we're experimenting a bit with the cups this season but Ryan Edwards playing for both teams was a bit of an odd one. 

La Marseillese during the silence too - don't Airdrie have a song to that tune? 

Game wasn't pretty, didn't feel Airdrie were going to score apart from a set piece, new keeper did fine, and Wilson looked better than Welsh. 

Azeez was useful, sometimes his touch was terrible but the one where the keeper saved his shot he brought it down on the run with the outside of his foot. Erskine was playing well so it was strange to see him come off especially as all Edwards did was foul people. 

A win, a clean sheet and no injuries. Take that in preparation for a tougher game next weekend. 

A great example why it doesn't matter a jot whether we play over summer or not - a truly miserable night.

I thought Airdrie caused us quite a few problems down our left side. Whether that was down to the quality of their play (thought the Airdrie right full back had a good game), the lack of fitness of Booth and Lindsay or a combination of both, I'm not sure. What is for certain is that we looked decidedly ropey defensively at times and a more clinical team would have punished us.

Crawford is certainly vocal enough which I like but I did think there were certain indications why he's played at a lower level for the majority of his career. I didn't think he came off his line enough and he seemed far too keen to play the ball out, putting us under unnecessary pressure at times. Made a fine save in the first half when Lindsay and Devine got absolutely ripped with a simple third man run. It's hardly a ringing endorsement for Scully that many of us didn't feel any less secure with Crawford in goals. Will certainly do us a turn over the next few weeks.

Wilson had a fine game and seen a lot of the ball. He was playing more of a deep lying role which I think is his best position. Strong contender for MOTM for me. Against lower league opposition - and no offence to Airdrie who were well in the game - Welsh's quality is pretty clear to see, in my opinion. 

Ziggy had a solid debut and lasted very well, fitness wise, considering he's only just arrived. Will be interesting to see to what extent Archie and Shaggy can bring on his attacking play to fit in with our style. 

Azeez looked like a cult hero in the making - out muscle and skin the full back on one hand then haplessly shank the ball out of play from a throw in on the other. Sure he'll fit in just fine at Thistle. Jokes aside, he looks like a very handy option from the bench and is definitely a centre forward - I thought he might have been able to be utilised in one of the wide positions but I wouldn't have thought so on last night's evidence.

McDaid really has to start showing more on his first team outings or else he'll struggle to get a new deal. Part of me wondered whether he was in last night partly to give Airdrie a look at him because I suspect he'll be put out on loan. 

I'm sure Airdrie will be in the promotion mix this season. Russell might not have the legs anymore but still a pain to play against for centre halves. As above, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our boys there for a spell; it certainly did Lindsay no harm.

A great example why it doesn't matter a jot whether we play over summer or not - a truly miserable night.

I thought Airdrie caused us quite a few problems down our left side. Whether that was down to the quality of their play (thought the Airdrie right full back had a good game), the lack of fitness of Booth and Lindsay or a combination of both, I'm not sure. What is for certain is that we looked decidedly ropey defensively at times and a more clinical team would have punished us.

Crawford is certainly vocal enough which I like but I did think there were certain indications why he's played at a lower level for the majority of his career. I didn't think he came off his line enough and he seemed far too keen to play the ball out, putting us under unnecessary pressure at times. Made a fine save in the first half when Lindsay and Devine got absolutely ripped with a simple third man run. It's hardly a ringing endorsement for Scully that many of us didn't feel any less secure with Crawford in goals. Will certainly do us a turn over the next few weeks.

Wilson had a fine game and seen a lot of the ball. He was playing more of a deep lying role which I think is his best position. Strong contender for MOTM for me. Against lower league opposition - and no offence to Airdrie who were well in the game - Welsh's quality is pretty clear to see, in my opinion. 

Ziggy had a solid debut and lasted very well, fitness wise, considering he's only just arrived. Will be interesting to see to what extent Archie and Shaggy can bring on his attacking play to fit in with our style. 

Azeez looked like a cult hero in the making - out muscle and skin the full back on one hand then haplessly shank the ball out of play from a throw in on the other. Sure he'll fit in just fine at Thistle. Jokes aside, he looks like a very handy option from the bench and is definitely a centre forward - I thought he might have been able to be utilised in one of the wide positions but I wouldn't have thought so on last night's evidence.

McDaid really has to start showing more on his first team outings or else he'll struggle to get a new deal. Part of me wondered whether he was in last night partly to give Airdrie a look at him because I suspect he'll be put out on loan. 

I'm sure Airdrie will be in the promotion mix this season. Russell might not have the legs anymore but still a pain to play against for centre halves. As above, I wouldn't be surprised to see one of our boys there for a spell; it certainly did Lindsay no harm.

A very fair and Honest appraisal.

And can we have Lindsay back? [emoji848]

Archived