Airdrieonians vs. Patrick Thistle 15/07/16

So, the new season kicks off in two days time.

I have absolutely no idea what to expect, however McBride has intimated he will be treating this as a glorified friendly. So not going into this with too much expectation.

I think we'll line up with the following team (formation may be different):

Ferguson

Higgins - McIntosh - Gorman - MacDonald

Daly - Fitzpatrick - Conroy

Brown - Ryan - Russell

Have absolutely no idea what to expect from Partick however they'll go into this big favourites.

And finally, I predict the attendance will be 1,638.

ETA: I'm aware I've misspelled "Partick" in the topic title. No idea how to fix this on mobile.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've got a bit of a defensive crisis for Friday with no recognised first team keeper and potentially only one fit centre half who would be considered first team. It's a bit of a nonsense that teams aren't able to field any trialists considering this competition has been enforced on us all so early in pre-season.

From the one friendly I've been at, and based on the reports from the others, I think Syme and Wilson have both performed well enough to deserve a start on Friday. It's far from ideal but Ziggy Gordon might need to play the full game as I suspect Syme will play at centre-half if Lindsay remains out.

If we are unable to get a keeper in on a short-term deal tomorrow then we'll be going with Cullen in goals who I don't know terribly much about. 

Suspect our line-up will be something along the lines of Cullen; Gordon, Booth, Syme, Devine; Wilson/Welsh, Osman; Amoo, Erskine, Lawless; Doolan.

Since I don't go to pre season games unless there's a really good reason to, and I can't make any of the other group stage games, I'm going to this and quite looking forward to it, even though as said above we've got a combined total of about 2 available first team keepers and defenders- although weirdly -touch-wood- all our best attacking players are fit. 

Is this on a Friday night because Motherwell are playing Rangers on Saturday? I know it's not on TV but don't think it's ever been explained.

I don't fancy this league format and the games are nothing more than pre season squad rotation excersise. On paper thistle should be more than capable but it's early for both teams so who knows............

optomistic 1 nil for the diamonds......

Who is manager/ head coach at Airdrie? 

Made some decent signings apparently. 

There will be goals, hopefully we finish with at least one more than the home team 8)

Kevin McBride

And yes it would appear to be going well with the change to full time training. A fair few of the squad are players coming from the development squad so they are young but very keen. The older squad players are tried and tested at higher level and we have a fantastic young keeper (Rohan Ferguson) who Dundee Utd and a few others tried to sign last season.

The league is our priority but a Wee win against you lot would be fantastic.... 

Wouldn't be surprised with an upset. The defensive options we have have barely played together and we've had David fucking Crawford as a trialist keeper. Having Welsh or Wilson in midfield fills me with dread too, but Erskine appears to be on fire so far during pre season. 5-4 Thistle.

I'm away on holiday so won't be able to make this, unfortunately.  Thistle are obviously the big favourites, but our season won't be judged on games against Premier teams.  It's been a while since we've had a decent cup upset, so hoping for one here, but not really expecting one.

Where are the away support likely to be accommodated tonight? I know they normally only open the main stand at new Broomfield. Just for car parking so I can be lazy and don't have to walk round the ground cheers

Where are the away support likely to be accommodated tonight? I know they normally only open the main stand at new Broomfield. Just for car parking so I can be lazy and don't have to walk round the ground cheers

In the main stand, going through gates 1-4

3 hours ago, Aufc said:

Airdrie to win 3-0 and jagfox to get knocked oot by the famous section B

Bring it on 8)

Manpreet and his mad squad have bulked up over the summer so they'll be headhunting that bunch of fifty something wannabees ;)

Looks like Osman's out as well. Reckon we'll go with:

Crawford
Gordon Devine Lindsay Booth
Welsh Wilson
Amoo Erskine Lawless
Doolan

Might be a 50/50 between Syme and Gordon. Depends how much of a pre-season the latter's had. Not seen any word of Linsday or Edwards' fitness.

Archived