League One Prediction 2016/17

Right, with just over three weeks to go until the first games of the 2016/17 season, I thought the annual league place prediction thread should be started. Most of the League 1 clubs appear to have the majority of their squads signed up now, so you should be able to make an informed prediction.

Here's my attempt:

1. $tranraer

2. Livingston

3. Alloa

4. Airdrieonians

5. Peterhead

6. Albion Rovers

7. Brechin

8. East Fife

9. Stenhousemuir

10. Queens Park

Post your prediction in here and the closest at the end of the season wins 100 internet points.

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very hard to tell, to be honest, and some teams still haven't even finished building their squads. Although they're both full time, neither Livingston or Airdrieonians look all that impressive on paper. Livi have got a terrible manager in David Hopkin and have sourced the majority of their recruits from last season's unremarkable Airdrie side. The Diamonds, meanwhile, seem to be going through a bit of an identity crisis and it could take some time to sort itself out. That said, here's a handful of good players dotted around either team (I do like the look of Airdrie's prinicple strikers) and full-time status should guarantee a tilt at promotion.

I don't think they look any better than $tranra£r and Alloa Athletic, two good squads with handy players, the kind which would be the envy of most part-time teams. All four will finish in the play-offs, barring some major collapse.

Brechin City, Peterhead and East Fife are a much of a muchness. There's some smashing players in there but the positives are negated by the deficiencies (for example, the Blue Toon have a smashing strike force but a porous defence) and I think they'll bubble under. One of them might go on to cause an upset in the race for the top four.

Albion Rovers will narrowly avoid ninth and 10th, providing they hold on to Darren Young. Although their squad looks a little poorer than last season's, it would be remiss to underestimate them for a second time. Young's team are fit and organised, and that can make up for a lack of quality.

It'll probably be between Queen's Park and Stenhousemuir for the bottom two places. Gus MacPherson's signings from junior football have tended to be a mixed bag and it remains to be seen how they'll handle the step up in quality. Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, have a competitive first XI but virtually nothing beyond it. The club desperately need a new striker and unless there's one forthcoming, it could be a long, long season at Ochilview.

1. Alloa Athletic
  2. Airdrieonians
  3. Livingston
  4. $tranra£r
  5. Brechin City
  6. East Fife
  7. Peterhead
  8. Albion Rovers
  9. Queen's Park
  10. Stenhousemuir

Completely understandable that we'll be favourites to go back down with many people. Underdog suits us just fine, though. We've a solid, hard working group of lads and an excellent manager. We may or may not go down, but we certainly won't be a walkover.

I think it will be a three way race between Livingston, airdrie and alloa because I think they have the strongest squad's. Livingston  (my team) look actually quite good over the 3 pre season games  (except defending in the dunfermline game) and have a good squad for this level and Airdrie United thank you for Nicky Cadden he looks like a really good player but they they two center backs are a bit questionable But still better than Darren Cole. Hopefully it can be a good season for all teams and wish all teams well. 

14 minutes ago, Liviguy said:

I think it will be a three way race between Livingston, airdrie and alloa because I think they have the strongest squad's. Livingston  (my team) look actually quite good over the 3 pre season games  (except defending in the dunfermline game) and have a good squad for this level and Airdrie United thank you for Nicky Cadden he looks like a really good player but they they two center backs are a bit questionable But still better than Darren Cole. Hopefully it can be a good season for all teams and wish all teams well. 

Do you honestly think Livi and Airdrie have a better squads than Stranraer,time to get the blinkers off my friend.

Yes from what I have seen so far not seen Stranraer well except from them beating us in playoff maybe Stranraer will win it I think it's going to be a good league next year it might actually be exciting. Just need to see how the first 5 games go.

I think there are one or two teams first 11 that are better than our first 11, but we have a very decent squad this year, especially middle to front with plenty options to come in and replace injured and suspended player. 

May just help us through the long season, don't think there will be a lot in it, in what could be a really open league. 

Archived