Battleground 2016

Good show on the whole, maybe the best of 2016, although I couldn't help feeling that everything seemed a little pointless following the brand split. Nonetheless, the Owens-Zayn match was a cracker, Enzo's promo before the six-man tag-team match was superb and the main event was good (even if the locker-room moment at the end seemed weird).

The only thing I didn't like was the Highlight Reel. Randy Orton must be one of the most boring wrestlers of all time and I have absolutely no interest in watching him fight. Great finisher, right enough.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd say that was the best PPV they've put on in a long time.  Only one I can remember enjoying more with few caveats was WM30.  The only low point was probably the Young/Miz match, which was poor to start with, then I'm not even sure what happened at the end.  The sight of Backlund...hulking up, I guess?  That was interesting.  Apart from that though, some very good matches and good moments.  Key thing now is to make sure the brand split doesn't send them backwards - if they follow this up with a great Summerslam, then maybe they can start turning around some of the dross they've put out recently.

7 hours ago, bernardblack said:

That ending was absolutely abysmal. Fair play Ambrose going over, nothing wrong with that. But the rest of the locker room coming out was an absolute gimmick killer. Why would Baron Corbin want to celebrate that? And the Uso's lifting Ambrose up?? He just pinned their cousin!!

Daniel Bryan doing the yes chant at every opportunity is starting to annoy me too. It should have been Ambrose's moment

I'd imagine because at the moment, Smackdown now has a World Championship whilst Raw doesn't. So heel and face alike would be celebrating that because they want to be ultimately aiming for the title. 

They certainly could have picked better than the Usos to hoist him up though, I agree.

Can anyone explain what the hell happened in that IC title match and what the decision actually was? It just felt so pointless and made everyone look like shit. Now Darren Young & Miz are on different shows so why did they even do that?

55 minutes ago, JamieStevenson said:

Can anyone explain what the hell happened in that IC title match and what the decision actually was? It just felt so pointless and made everyone look like shit. Now Darren Young & Miz are on different shows so why did they even do that?

From what I could make out, the ref thought it was a shite finish, and decided to end it ASAP. That may not have been the actual plan though.

Some pop for Bayley.

IC title decision was clearly a countout no? Given Miz was lying out there for about 2 minutes? 

So Young win, Miz retain. Didn't even consider it might have been anything else til I seen the debate on here

I've seen it mentioned a few times, but if the commentators - who presumably know the finish - are sounding confused, then you've fucked up.  A count-out would make sense I guess, and people were probably just distracted by Backlund going full mental.  Although it wasn't really becoming for someone of his age, I want to see more of that.  More of him going batshit mental.  

If it was a countout, it would be bizarre that it happened after Young went to the outside. Even if Miz is there for ages, the count normally restarts if the other guy subsequently leaves the ring, hence the old "roll in, roll back out" when it's getting tight and they want to continue battering them outside.

I reckon they just completely f*cked it up - Maryse seemed to mistime shouting on Miz, with stuff going on in the ring, and there being a big delay before he actually came out and asked her why she was on the floor. Is it possible that Maryse and Backlund went too early with their spot?

Archived