145th Open Championship

Davis Love III

Who will win the 145th Open Championship?  

24 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first and only visit to the open was Troon back in 80 (?).

I'm pretty sure Phil Mickelson was competing for the silver amateur trophy that year?

4 hours ago, trainspotter said:

Slightly underwhelmed by BBC's highlights package last night. They seemed determined to condense 12 hours play into 2 rather than focus on the, er, highlights.

Looking at today's forecast in hope rather than expectation, a day of muddy paths and soggy sandwiches looks likely. By 3pm, 'er indoors will be wishing she'd stayed indoors.

It was pretty poor. For example, they showed Bubba Watson going into the bunker at the Postage Stamp and then holing his putt for double bogey. The bit you really want to see is the stuff in between. They also still had the Ken on the Course stuff - handy in a live show, not quite sure what the point of it is in a highlights programme.

3 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv always had a serious dislike for Keegan Bradley and I'm not sure why. I think a lot has to do with his pre shot routine

Bradley on stage at the closing ceremony of the 2012 Ryder Cup at Medinah is one of the most seething, raging things you're ever going to see.

Kjeldsen in at -7, reckon he'll be in the final group or two tomorrow given how the weather is going. Hope the big guns later don't mess up and miss the cut as I want to see them on Sunday!

12 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

My first and only visit to the open was Troon back in 80 (?).

I'm pretty sure Phil Mickelson was competing for the silver amateur trophy that year?

I'm guessing you would have been there in 82 or 89. Mickelson played in neither, but Ernie played as an amateur in 89.

FWIW Phil played as an amateur in 91 at Birkdale.

1 minute ago, Mark Connolly said:

I'm guessing you would have been there in 82 or 89. Mickelson played in neither, but Ernie played as an amateur in 89.

FWIW Phil played as an amateur in 91 at Birkdale.

89. Must have been somebody else :(

1 hour ago, lichtie23 said:

Iv always had a serious dislike for Keegan Bradley and I'm not sure why. I think a lot has to do with his pre shot routine

Same here, he looks like an absolute weapon. I have a similar dislike of many golfers of the current era from across the pond.

Fatrick Reed, Keegan Bradley, Zach Johnson, a varied trio of c***s.

Hunter Mahan has an endlessly punchable face, he's hopeles now though so it's a bit harder to dislike him.

I fucking despise Bubba Watson. Utter cretin.

Zach Johnson is just a total weirdo.

Sky's coverage so far has been excellent from what I've seen, although I am missing the voice of golf slightly. Quite wonderful.

Sky's coverage so far has been excellent from what I've seen, although I am missing the voice of golf slightly. Quite wonderful.

I don't mind Bubba. Seems a genuine guy. Apparently a nice guy off the course as well.

Rickie Fowler tho.......

26 minutes ago, J_Stewart said:

Said last year that Zach Johnson looks like the sort of guy who met his first girlfriend at Bible class aged 15 and then married her. Scarily close to the truth. 

Only caught the tail end of the sky coverage, noticed on the 11th they had the shot tracker showing some boy crunching it down the middle as the other side of the split screen showed it landing in the rough. Assume there's 14 million adverts an hour as well. 

5 hours ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Crowds look pretty sparse again

Weather was always going to be poor today which will put off anyone who hadn't bought tickets well in advance. Yesterday's attendance looked okay, and I'd guess it will increase over the weekend. However, generally I'm pretty sure crowds will be well below what they wanted, and it's purely down to the ridiculous tickets prices. Not one who usually moans about stuff like that, but the ticket price has basically doubled since the last time it was at Troon, and you have to look at it in the wider context of what has happened to the economy since then too. Not a lot of people have £260 spare around holiday season to watch 4 days of golf. Or £160 for parents and kids for one day of golf. The comeback is always that you are paying for 10 hours of play, and compare that to ticket prices for 90 minute football games and it's good value. Firstly, football ticket prices are too high as well, but also it's not 10 hours of continuous golf, only a fraction of that 10 hours is watching golf shots, whereas football is 90 minutes of action (no matter how poor that action may be!). The same applies for music gigs, cinema, theatre etc. TV coverage is also so good now (I think Sky's coverage has been excellent, despite some comments on here who disagree) that it's so easy to sit and watch it all at home.

The R&A talk about growing the game and have all these token 'play zones' or whatever they are called in the spectators village for kids, when really that is just preaching to the converted, its the kids who have parents who can't afford to go that they should be trying to bring into the game. Having Under 16s get in free is pointless when adult prices are so high as it's still only going to be the middle classes that can go. Didn't expect to write quite as much as that, but it's frustrating that we have such a brilliant tournament in our home country yet we aren't making the most of it.

Weather was always going to be poor today which will put off anyone who hadn't bought tickets well in advance. Yesterday's attendance looked okay, and I'd guess it will increase over the weekend. However, generally I'm pretty sure crowds will be well below what they wanted, and it's purely down to the ridiculous tickets prices. Not one who usually moans about stuff like that, but the ticket price has basically doubled since the last time it was at Troon, and you have to look at it in the wider context of what has happened to the economy since then too. Not a lot of people have £260 spare around holiday season to watch 4 days of golf. Or £160 for parents and kids for one day of golf. The comeback is always that you are paying for 10 hours of play, and compare that to ticket prices for 90 minute football games and it's good value. Firstly, football ticket prices are too high as well, but also it's not 10 hours of continuous golf, only a fraction of that 10 hours is watching golf shots, whereas football is 90 minutes of action (no matter how poor that action may be!). The same applies for music gigs, cinema, theatre etc. TV coverage is also so good now (I think Sky's coverage has been excellent, despite some comments on here who disagree) that it's so easy to sit and watch it all at home.

The R&A talk about growing the game and have all these token 'play zones' or whatever they are called in the spectators village for kids, when really that is just preaching to the converted, its the kids who have parents who can't afford to go that they should be trying to bring into the game. Having Under 16s get in free is pointless when adult prices are so high as it's still only going to be the middle classes that can go. Didn't expect to write quite as much as that, but it's frustrating that we have such a brilliant tournament in our home country yet we aren't making the most of it.

Great post. I agree completely

Guest DAVIDB69

Great post. I agree completely

Yes you don't actually see that much watching golf live and any time I have went I always seem to be the wrong place and the interesting stuff is happening elsewhere .

Went to the Scottish open last week and 35 was on the steep side

Agree the 80 quid on the day is absolutely scandalous when you are primarily walking or sitting on a hard plastic seat.

I went to Troon in 97 and the prices seemed to have multipled by 5 in two decades

There's something very unlikable about Mickelson. Utter gimp of a guy.

Always used to think he was a good guy eg applauding rose I think it was holing a monster putt at medinah....but I thought his treatment of Watson at gleaneagles was pretty vile.

Archived