Arbroath vs Dundee United

Lichtie78

Assuming we don't sign anyone else, it looks like our starting XI for this will be-

Mutch/Gomes

Thompson

Little

Dunlop

Hamilton

Linn

McCord

Whatley

Kader

Doris

Prunty

I'd like us to sign Phillips before then so we can put Hamilton at CB for the time being as I don't rate Dunlop. Hard call between Mutch, who's performed well overall in pre-season, and Gomes, who has only played one half but is more experienced. I'd be wary of throwing a 17 year old into this game but I'll be interested to see who Dick chooses.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about the United Starting XI - I would like to have a mix of younger and older players.

4-2-3-1

Zwick/Bell

Robson/Dixon  Donaldson  Souttar  Dillon

Murdoch Telfer

Johnson   Fraser  Spittal

Murray

Does anyone know what happened to Matty Smith and Brad Smith, they played well at the end of last season and can't seem to get in the squad for the pre-season matches?

Anyway, I think United will take this 3-1, Murray, Johnson and Murdoch scoring.

Hoping for a big crowd, any idea on how many tickets United have sold?

Oh, and if the club have any sense at all they'll have a pay at the gate option.

There will be

Imagine it'll be announced start of the week.

I agree with you. Dunlop not up to pace yet. And even if he was he looks quite slow, I'd go Little and Hamilton too. Regarding LB I'm not sure. Phillips looks ok on the ball but defensively I dunno. Also wouldn't play Mutch he's done ok but this a step too much for him IMO.

Gomes

Thomson
Little
Hamilton/new centre half
Phillips/new left back

Linn
Whatley
McCord
Kader

Prunty
Doris

Might even be tempted to throw another central midfielder in there and have one up with Kader and Linn on each side.

We've only got 16 signed players so imagine we will hear more this week. I think I'd like us to get Callaghan and then go for loans to cover centre half/LB and the 4th striker. Maybe another attacking midfield player too in the mould of Bobby/Omar. That would be us up to a squad of 20.

Regarding the crowd I imagine it'll be respectable from us but not any more than what we'd get for a Mo game. Games come so early and this LC format is a bit new to everybody with it a group stage etc. Expect United to have 2k or so. Crowd of 3.5k odd I'd guess.

Just hope we put up a fight, games come so quickly that it's going to be really tough for us.

Gomes

Wilson Little Hamilton Phillips

Kader Whatley McCord Linn

Doris Prunty

Will be a good test for us, how have United faired in Pre Season?

This would mean Phillips signing since there's no trialists allowed. I'd also rather have Thompson at right back than Wilson.

Last time I was at Gayfield must be about 10 years back.  It was a pre-season friendly so obviously summer time but it was still bloody freezing with the wind off the water.  IIRC we won 7-0 or 7-1.

Last time I was at Gayfield must be about 10 years back.  It was a pre-season friendly so obviously summer time but it was still bloody freezing with the wind off the water.  IIRC we won 7-0 or 7-1.

I remember this game but I don't think it was s pre season game. I remember we played you in a random friendly during the season. Might have actually been longer than 10 years as I believe Sieb Dykstra was in the goal

1 minute ago, lichtie23 said:

I remember this game but I don't think it was s pre season game. I remember we played you in a random friendly during the season. Might have actually been longer than 10 years as I believe Sieb Dykstra was in the goal

You could be right, my memory is not what it was.  I'm fairly sure it was Arbroath and I'm certain it was football.

Atleast if that happens it won't be the most embarrassing game to be shown on BT this week

Starting team, presume we sign no-one before then...tho Ray said he's hoping for a couple before then.

Bell
Toshney Donaldson Souttar Dixon

Murdoch Telfer
Johnson Fraser Spittal

Murray

Likes of Coote and Obadeyi to come on

Well with a little over 24 hours till the first competitive fixture of the season, I believe it's time for predictions folks. I envisage a 3-1 win for utd. Arbroath to take the lead but us dabs will be the ones celebrating. Looking forward to first sight of the new manager an his tactics. Good luck to the lichties for the rest of the group games but this one is ours :-)

Games come too soon for us I fear. 2/3-0 United. Although maybe in a competitive game the players will be sharper.

Last two seasons in this competition we lost 4-2 to hearts last year, they scored the 4th in the 90th so game was relatively close and 2-1 Hamilton, we scored that day in the 90th though.

Archived