Italian Football Thread

Kris.

shady goings on and politicking in the lower leagues as per usual - even before the current season has finished !

Renzo Rosso, the owner of Bassano Virtus - embroiled in the play-offs for promotion to Serie B - has floated a plan to merge his club with the red woolly sorts from Vicenza who are trying to avoid relegaton to Serie D*; if he pushes it through, the newly formed joint-club would potentially take the place of BV in Serie B, with the worst case scenaro for Vicenza being that they retain "their" postion in  Lega Pro; the new club would play at Vicenza's ground, just over twenty miles from Bassano del Grappa, so it's a big "f**k you" to the Virtus fans (not that there are many of them, with crowds around the 1000 mark this last season; Rosso claims that his "new creature" would pull in ten times that number)

obviously, Vicenza will lose any vestige of integrity they may have, scraping salvation via the machinations of a bloke who's purported to have had an interest in taking over most of the clubs in northern italy, including A C Milan and Hellas Verona, over recent years - but that'll be nothing new to that lot....

more as and when - and to think I nearly bought one of their Lanerossi Vicenza fund raising rubber band wristlet things at the weekend....

* by way of a two-legged play-off against Santarcangelo, who've already beaten them home and away this season - forza gli cazzi !

edit: or maybe not - Santarcangelo are appealing the points deduction that dropped them in to a relegation position; if they succeed then the mangiatori di gatti may find themselves playing against Teramo instead - ho hum.....

Edited by Herman Hessian

On 5/13/2018 at 15:50, highlandcowden said:

Why does commentator keep going on about lazios superior GD to inte?it's all down to head to head in Italy isn't it,therefore f inter are 3 pts behind&win next week they leapfrog lazio

Think a lot of people have overlooked this, can see Lazio making a complete cock of it this coming Sunday. Over 60,000 tickets sold for it now, so should be a cracker. 

meeting set to take place in Modena later on today with three potential owner/operater groups making their case for being allowed to re-establish the town's football team; the choice is down to the mayor, strangely enough, rather than the football authorities - presumably because it was essentially debts to the "town council" that finished off the previous incarnation of the club, outstanding arrears on stadium rental and the like...

more folk lining up to take a shot at salvaging Vicenza, too, including the now much-maligned Hellas chairman, maurizio setti, who has a lot of explaining to do in Verona with regard to missing sponsorship and TV rights millions which appear to be entirely unaccounted for, while the team were crying out for meaningful investment during the mid-season break; the proposed merger between Vicenza and Bassano may be a non starter, as it would mean re-writing the IPFS rules about the proximity (or lack of it, in this instance) of clubs which intend to  merge, which could have potential ramifications across Europe; Renzo Rosso has thus far presented the whole scheme on the basis of a merger, but is now having to back-track and say that he would be relocating Bassano Virtus to Vicenza, whilst liquidating the host club and writing off 116 years of history for the Lanerossi, so now it the turn of the cat eating sorts to be up in arms; the only thing that is certain is that Vicenza will now be playing Santarcangelo in the relegation play-out (first leg tomorrow) as the Romagnisti are now not appealing their points deduction...

there's a French entrepreneur, Brice Desjardins, who's mooted to also be up for saving Vicenza, but as he's sold his ticket thus far on the back of keeping the club as an entirely autonomous set up, with no merger contrived to preserve their higher status, he may have to take the hit and start in Serie D should he take the plunge - depending on the result of the play-outs...

Edited by Herman Hessian

14 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

meeting set to take place in Modena later on today with three potential owner/operater groups making their case for being allowed to re-establish the town's football team; the choice is down to the mayor, strangely enough, rather than the football authorities - presumably because it was essentially debts to the "town council" that finished off the previous incarnation of the club, outstanding arrears on stadium rental and the like...

Would that be Serie D? Eccellenza? Not sure how much it costs to register for Eccellenza but Serie D was something like 200,000 Euros last time I checked.

more folk lining up to take a shot at salvaging Vicenza, too, including the now much-maligned Hellas chairman, maurizio setti, who has a lot of explaining to do in Verona with regard to missing sponsorship and TV rights millions which appear to be entirely unaccounted for, while the team were crying out for meaningful investment during the mid-season break; the proposed merger between Vicenza and Bassano may be a non starter, as it would mean re-writing the IPFS rules about the proximity (or lack of it, in this instance) of clubs which intend to  merge, which could have potential ramifications across Europe; Renzo Rosso has thus far presented the whole scheme on the basis of a merger, but is now having to back-track and say that he would be relocating Bassano Virtus to Vicenza, whilst liquidating the host club and writing off 116 years of history for the Lanerossi, so now it the turn of the cat eating sorts to be up in arms; the only thing that is certain is that Vicenza will now be playing Santarcangelo in the relegation play-out (first leg tomorrow) as the Romagnisti are now not appealing their points deduction...

I have to confess that I don't have much in the way of sympathy for Vicenza. There were similarities between their situation and Modena's - the difference being that Modena's players actually tried to play on whereas Vicenza's players downed tools as soon as they could.  In fact, Modena were in a worse situation than Vicenza yet they made the effort. I hope Santarcangelo pump Vicenza.

there's a French entrepreneur, Brice Desjardins, who's mooted to also be up for saving Vicenza, but as he's sold his ticket thus far on the back of keeping the club as an entirely autonomous set up, with no merger contrived to preserve their higher status, he may have to take the hit and start in Serie D should he take the plunge - depending on the result of the play-outs...

And that's the way it should be, unlike those fuckers from Catanzaro who somehow wheedled their way into remaining in the same league when they went bust. Hopefully this is the season that it all goes tits up for them.

8 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Would that be Serie D? Eccellenza? Not sure how much it costs to register for Eccellenza but Serie D was something like 200,000 Euros last time I checked.

article's a bit ambiguous - mentions Serie C, and then says  "more likely, a step down" - but not how much of a step down - presumably more to come out on the back of the meeting, though...

11 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

I hope Santarcangelo pump Vicenza.

the two Hellas/Vicenza derbies I've been to have been - by a distance - two of the best games i've had the privilege to attend, but having given the matter due consideration, yeah - f**k 'em....

my bad - Setti's one of the parties interested in Modena, not Vicenza - and so is a consortium fronted by Hellas legend Luca Toni, but then he did start his playing career there...

only reference to any potential starting point for the new club is that "they will have to start, almost certainly, as amateurs"

20 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

article's a bit ambiguous - mentions Serie C, and then says  "more likely, a step down" - but not how much of a step down - presumably more to come out on the back of the meeting, though...

Found an article from March. Looks like the suggestion is Serie D with the shareholders investing 2.4m Euros over 3 years. Would imagine they'd be placed in Serie D/D.

*edit* have just spotted your most recent post. Promozione is definitely amateur, not sure if Eccellenza is.

*further edit* would appear that Eccellenza is governed by LND which would make it an amateur league.

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

Parma back in the big time. 8)

Complete bottlejob by Frosinone. 2-1 up against a Foggia side with nothing to play for and just 3 minutes left, cut open on the counter and gave up a late equaliser.

Absolute scenes! Been a Parma fan since back when Football Italia was on Channel 4, being a (fat and shit) goalkeeper myself, I started supporting them after seeing a 16-17 year old Buffon, who went on to become my favourite player and in my opinion the best goalkeeper of all time - apart from Jim Calder of Caley Thistle, obviously. What a team we went on to have, Buffon, Cannavaro, Thuram, Apolloni, Sartor, Benarrivo, Dino Baggio, Juan Veron, Diego Fuser, Paulo Sousa, Enrico Chiesa, Hernan Crespo to name but a few. Admittedly, we have done a 'Rangers' a couple of times in recent years with liquidations, we did beat them in the UEFA Cup final though. Forza Parma!

good to see Parma go up, as has been said, a proper Football Italia club from the C4 days - and Venezia in the play-offs, too - could do with them getting Cittadella in the final for a real bit of local antipathy and another derby for Hellas next season, whoever wins, though I'd love to see how much noise Joe Tacopina would make in Serie A

in other news - Modena will be starting next season as a new club in Serie D - neither Setti nor Luca Toni got the nod to take control - it'll be a consortium including former owner Romano Amadei; Modena's a great place and the stadium is just fantastic - really hope to have an excuse to go back there in a couple of years or so as part of a decent attendance....

Three promotions in a row. Some going. Hopefully see Venezia go up as well to have double treble promotions. Failing that, Napoli's pals, Palermo. Although Cittadella have never played in Serie A. Choices, choices.

Delighted to see Avellino stay up. Shame that Brescia didn't go down. Good to see Novara go down. Nothing against them but they're a meh side. Hopefully Virtus Entella thrash Ascoli in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Jarballs said:

Admittedly, we have done a 'Rangers' a couple of times in recent years with liquidations, we did beat them in the UEFA Cup final though. Forza Parma!

Not to be a buzzkill but wasn't it Marseille and Juventus beaten in the two UEFA Cup winning finals? Two horrid teams right enough, especially Marseille.

23 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

in other news - Modena will be starting next season as a new club in Serie D - neither Setti nor Luca Toni got the nod to take control - it'll be a consortium including former owner Romano Amadei; Modena's a great place and the stadium is just fantastic - really hope to have an excuse to go back there in a couple of years or so as part of a decent attendance....

They're winning Serie D next season unless they do what Lumezzane did for the first half of the season and field a load of youth players.

5 hours ago, Herman Hessian said:

my bad - Setti's one of the parties interested in Modena, not Vicenza - and so is a consortium fronted by Hellas legend Luca Toni, but then he did start his playing career there...

only reference to any potential starting point for the new club is that "they will have to start, almost certainly, as amateurs"

Under the rules, Modena can restart in Serie D (the highest amateur league), as long as they register within two months of the 2018-19 season.

As you rightly said, the mayor gets to choose the successor club, though that's always the case it's not about the debts to the town.

Basically as long as you start a season in the professional leagues, you can register for Serie D if you go bankrupt.

23 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

in other news - Modena...a great place and the stadium is just fantastic - really hope to have an excuse to go back there in a couple of years or so as part of a decent attendance....

holy crap - almost exactly six years ago that i was there - i'm so old  :(

19 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Three promotions in a row. Some going. Hopefully see Venezia go up as well to have double treble promotions. Failing that, Napoli's pals, Palermo. Although Cittadella have never played in Serie A. Choices, choices.

Delighted to see Avellino stay up. Shame that Brescia didn't go down. Good to see Novara go down. Nothing against them but they're a meh side. Hopefully Virtus Entella thrash Ascoli in the playoffs.

Not to be a buzzkill but wasn't it Marseille and Juventus beaten in the two UEFA Cup winning finals? Two horrid teams right enough, especially Marseille.

They're winning Serie D next season unless they do what Lumezzane did for the first half of the season and field a load of youth players.

Good point well made sir,  a few beverages have been consumed today in the sunshine and I got confused. Certainly felt like a cup final while hosting some Rangers-supporting mates as we put them out :)