Italian Football Thread

Kris.

That's me just got round to watching the documentary as well, loved it. Well worth a watch for anyone from that era; what a time to be alive it was.

Aye, it was great. It really did take me back to my childhood and teenage years. I was amazed about how much of it I remembered as well.

Really enjoyed the re-runs of the amusing segments and I was pissing myself laughing at the James Richardson / Tino Asprilla bit with the Geordie accent.

That's me just got round to watching the documentary as well, loved it. Well worth a watch for anyone from that era; what a time to be alive it was.
It was brilliant. I remember watching that Samp-Lazio game that started it all. There were some absolute goalfests televised that first season, and Milan pre-Xmas were in ridiculous form. The stuck 5 past Lazio and Napoli and 7 away to Fiorentina. I was genuinely gutted when Van Basten got crocked.

Lazio back into the Champions League place, didn't play particularly well yesterday but got the three points. A massive week for them now, Europa League Thursday night followed by the derby on Sunday.

On 4/8/2018 at 23:07, Estragon said:

Gutted but I think that's pivotal for Cagliari. Difficult run in, the only game I can see them winning is Bologna.

they looked poor - don't think i've seen Hellas looking less-likely to concede at any other point during this season - and bear in mind that's off the back of letting in eleven in three games including a fucking atrocious 0-3 humping at Benevento, so the back four are not exactly on top form; had a feeling all season that Udinese were going to struggle so it's a crucial game at l'arena this saturday - could well be ten defeats on the trot for Il Zebrette (including a friendly in Slovenia) which will drop them right in it - entertaining stuff, if you're not too bothered about the quality of football that's serving up the fun and games !

quick Serie C round-up as we're getting towards the business end of the season, and I'm very bored at work:

Girone A - three way battle at the top for the automatic promotion place between Siena, Livorno and Pisa - it's Livorno v Pisa this weekend, but Siena must be in pole position as they have yet to play the bottom two - Cuneo and Prato - along with a trickier home game against Piacenza who are looking to secure their own play-off place; at the bottom, Cuneo and Prato already looked certain to have to go through the relegation play-offs, almost definitely joined by Gavorrano and one of Arezzo and Pro Piacenza who have lost four on the bounce just at the wrong time of the season

Girone B - Padova look home and hosed at the top, with a seven point advantage and - for the most part - an easy run-in;  the one exception being a visit to Reggiana, in second place with a game in hand, on 28.04, but it could all be decided before that game comes around; just three play-out places at the arse end of things after Modena's bankruptcy; it'll be three from Fano, Santarcangelo, Gubbio, Teramo and - ahem - Vicenza; the Cat Eating Fuckers have not won in eight and are doing their best to get relegated, which is in turn very funny and a bit sad, but then again - with Padova, Cittadella, Cremonese and Brescia possibly on the horizon as far as derbies for Hellas go next season (in Serie B) - on reflection, f**k 'em...Fano play Teramo 0n 28.04 in the only head to head game involving the relegation candidates

Girone C - Lecce (68pts), Catania (64) and Trapani (63) have run away with this one, with a 15 point gap to fourth-placed Monopoli; Lecce are nailed on, though, as they have two of the bottom three (Paganese and Fondi) yet to play; Catania and Trapani play each other on 23.04 which is likely to see one or both of them completely out of contention for top spot; at the bottom, Akragas - from Sicily - are long gone, three wins , 17 goals and ten points to show for their season to date; Fondi are pretty much confirmed as play-out participants too, 6/7 points behind Paganese and Reggina respectively; Fidelis Andria, Catanzaro and Bisceglie could get dragged in to things, with Catanzaro best-placed to get themselves out of trouble with games against Fondi and Paganese to come

and if folk don't decide that they need stuff printed in the next few days, expect similar treatment to come for all nine Serie D girones - come on USVBV !  :)

Edited by Herman Hessian

in fact - i'll just chuck in a quick one about Serie D/A - current home to Como, who seemed to have a few fans here on the back of their wonderful blue shirts

currently second in the table, two points behind Gozzano with four games to go for both - this sunday at 15:00 - Como v Gozzano  :lol:

Gozzano - Gozzano - vaffanculo !

Incredible result for Roma last night. They played with great intensity and purpose which left me thinking where has that been all season? When you look back, they came through a very tough group with good results against Atletico and Chelsea. Dispatched Shakhtar who were impressive against City and now fairly comfortably beat Barca.
It’s just a shame they couldn’t carry that over into Serie A, I’d prefer they won it to either Napoli or Juventus.

14 hours ago, Mr. Brightside said:

Incredible result for Roma last night. They played with great intensity and purpose which left me thinking where has that been all season? When you look back, they came through a very tough group with good results against Atletico and Chelsea. Dispatched Shakhtar who were impressive against City and now fairly comfortably beat Barca.
It’s just a shame they couldn’t carry that over into Serie A, I’d prefer they won it to either Napoli or Juventus.

Last season was their highest ever points tally in Serie A, so that was always going to be hard to replicate, especially losing such a key creator in Salah. Dzeko is also down on his scoring rate from last season (0.50 goals/90 compared to 0.86) and doesn't help that his back-up Schick is yet to score.

Some journey to the semis and you'd be mad to write them off now. Still to concede a goal at the Olimpico. Hilarious hearing the English press saying that they're the team everyone will want to draw.