Italian Football Thread

Kris.

That was a great watch, but Atalanta will be disappointed not to win as they missed two excellent chances at 2-0 and 3-2 which would surely have put the game beyond Lazio.

Good win for Napoli yesterday after two games without one, but Juve looked ominously efficient earlier today. I thought Inter were due a slip-up, so it'll be interesting to see how they respond.

Edited by lanky_ffc

More trouble in the third tier of Italian football with Vicenza players threatening to go on strike over not being paid for the last three months. It's already been confirmed that they're getting docked points because of the non-payment of wages - being suggested that it'll be 3 or 4 points. If they don't turn up against Gubbio on Friday, you'd imagine that would be another points deduction. They play in the same group as Modena, who went bust in November.

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

Is there a list anywhere over the years of teams who have went bust .
Both teams who have went bust and still going and teams who have went bust and went under

Can't find a list, but Football Italia has it as 20 in five years: https://www.football-italia.net/112473/modena-20th-club-go-bankrupt

Parma, Siena, Como, Latina, Modena, Messina are a few but I don't know the rest.

Venezia are due for a bankruptcy in the next couple of years. They managed three between 2005-2015.

A lot of these teams will not go bust but either move into the youth sector or they will buy out another team in order to continue their history. SPAL, for example, went bust and ended up in Serie D. That was 5-6 years ago. When they didn't get promoted, they bought over Giacomense who played in a higher league in order to continue their history.

Another example is Pro Vercelli. They folded back in 2010 and bought over their local rivals, Pro Belvedere Vercelli, to allow their history to continue.

It's probably easier to make a list of teams who have not folded at some point...

5 hours ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

More trouble in the third tier of Italian football with Vicenza players threatening to go on strike over not being paid for the last three months. It's already been confirmed that they're getting docked points because of the non-payment of wages - being suggested that it'll be 3 or 4 points. If they don't turn up against Gubbio on Friday, you'd imagine that would be another points deduction. They play in the same group as Modena, who went bust in November.

I'll be gutted if Vicenza go down the pan - I've seen two Derby del Veneto's (2-3 wins for the away side, one in Verona and one in Vicenza) and the atmosphere was just fucking incandescent for both - "scenes" doesn't come close to doing it justice - utterly fantastic stuff; big ambition to go and see another one...

hmmm - doesn't come across as particularly mental - perhaps you had to be there - heh...

13 minutes ago, Herman Hessian said:

I'll be gutted if Vicenza go down the pan - I've seen two Derby del Veneto's (2-3 wins for the away side, one in Verona and one in Vicenza) and the atmosphere was just fucking incandescent for both - "scenes" doesn't come close to doing it justice - utterly fantastic stuff; big ambition to go and see another one...

hmmm - doesn't come across as particularly mental - perhaps you had to be there - heh...

I don't think they'll go down the pan. They've got new owners in - but then so did Modena before they went. Difference being that Modena had been humped financially for the last couple of years at least. I don't remember reading about Vicenza being in financial difficulty until yesterday.

*edit* Hibs legend Dominique Malonga scoring for Vicenza there I see...

Edited by Allan Jacobsen

I don't think they'll go down the pan. They've got new owners in - but then so did Modena before they went. Difference being that Modena had been humped financially for the last couple of years at least. I don't remember reading about Vicenza being in financial difficulty until yesterday.
Is it Vicenza who have that massive bowl like stadium just off the A4 Autoroute as you're heading between Verona and Venice?

11 minutes ago, Salvo Montalbano said:
56 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

Is it Vicenza who have that massive bowl like stadium just off the A4 Autoroute as you're heading between Verona and Venice?

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. @Herman Hessian might know.

16 minutes ago, Allan Jacobsen said:

I'm not entirely sure to be honest. @Herman Hessian might know.

nah - vicenza's stadium is not a bowl - more of a "bits and pieces" old-style stadium - you may be thinking of Padova's ground - that looks pretty impressive from outside (well- and inside too), and it's close to the autostrada...

padova (stadio euganeo)

91389268.jpg

vicenza (romeo menti)

29_960.jpg