Post Upgrade Update #01

Thank you everyone for your patience again yesterday. Although the board was "up" during the day it was clear there was something still badly wrong, it was still crashing regularly and it was so slow it was virtually unusable. I took it down around tea-time and worked with some database guys for a few hours to fine tune and tweak and I think the results since we re-opened around 11pm last night have shown that the performance issues are gone.

The App, which was completely unusable yesterday, is now very quick on both iOS and Android. I will still be publishing an updated version of the App in due course, Android probably today, iOS in the next couple of weeks.

The performance issues being fixed allows me to now concentrate on the smaller items which have been reported. Here's a few things already;

Logging In On App

A few users have reported that the App is "stuck" with their old login name and throwing up an error meaning they can't get logged in. This is because they have had a different login name and display name previously, and the upgrade has removed the login name and consolidated on display name for everything and the App is still logged in with the now non-existing login name. Only sure fire way to fix that is to uninstall the App and re-install and then login using your display name.

Chat Room

The Chat Room is only available to Platinum members so I have now removed it from the menu for Gold users who were seeing the chat link and then an error when they tried to access it. For Platinum members the little number next to Chat indicates how many users are currently in the chat room.

If you are interested in the Chat Room and in using the board on desktop and mobile without any adverts then you can upgrade your account using the "Store" link at the top of the page. We now accept credit card payments (via Stripe) as well as Paypal and you can also take it out for just 1 month to try it if you like (£1 a month). The site will always be free but the adverts pay for the hosting, the App, the prediction leagues, and my hot tub, so if you don't want ads the Platinum Club is there for you.

Notifications

You can swtich off the sound on the notifications by clicking your name top right, then Account Settings, then "Notification Settings" which is on the right under Other Settings. Set all your preferences on how to get notified including whether to use Sound or Not at the top section, then choose what to be notified about in the bottom section.

Unread Content

A few have reported that clicking on a topic title takes them to the start of a topic rather than to their unread content. This is by design. The little circle or star to the left of the topic title is now the link to the first bit of unread content on the topic.

Custom Profile Header

You can now customise your profile with a large poster image. Click on your name, then profile and click on Cover Photo.

Toolbar

I've added some more buttons to the editor toolbars on all devices.

Themes

At the moment we have 43 themes installed. One for each SPFL team down to League 2 and the default Scotland team. These are essentially all exactly the same apart from a couple of images and colours. I will be going through each of these and refining some of the colours and taking on board the feedback I've seen. The exact same theme loads on mobile browser as it does on desktop but adapts to the screen size accordingly. I know some of you don't like the new team themes, so I will upload some variations in the next week or so.

Old Posts

Although the board is now running normally there are still some background jobs running to rebuild old posts. This should finish by tomorrow. There are still a pile of other jobs to run which will again tidy things up. Some of these are recount jobs and given we deleted 5 million posts from the database in the summer you can expect your post count (but not your rep) to fall shortly.

Embedding Media

To embed media now just paste the normal link in from YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter or whatever. The forum will deal with it from there. No need to use media tags any more.

Signatures

You can switch off individual signatures you don't want to see by clicking on that users sig, or you can switch off signatures completely, and you can manage those settings again in your profile.

Post Rep

Gold members can now award 15 greenies, and 5 reds a day. Platinum members have 50 greenies and 15 reds per day.

I think that's all for now. I'm going away for a few days and I also need to  try and do some real work.

Thanks again for your patience. This has been very painful but hopefully over the next few weeks it will all calm down.

• Div pinned this topic
27 minutes ago, Div said:

I think that's all for now. I'm going away for a few days and I also need to  try and do some real work.

Good work.

But seriously, you go on more holidays than Judith Chalmers!

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Good work.

But seriously, you go on more holidays than Judith Chalmers!

Wimbledon on Friday mate, YAS!

8 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Nice one. Centre?

Sadly not, No 1. I'm guessing that will be doubles but I'll watch Andy's match on the hill with a few beers assuming it isn't pissing it down!

Posts and headers are still showing vertically when I'm using my moblile browser to access the site. Also Youtube videos that have been embedded automatically on Version 4.0 dont appear on the mobile app (Android).

I haven't been able to recreate that issue with the posts showing vertically, what mobile browser are you using mate? Have you tried clearing all your cache?

3 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Chrome. I'll give that a try and report back. Cheers! 

Just now, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Cleared cache on App but no change.

:unsure2:

I have chrome browser on android too but I cant replicate it either

6 hours ago, Mrs M said:

I really like it, however on the mobile topic titles are appearing with one letter per line and stretching all the way down the page. Not seen anyone else mention it. Just me? What can I do? Tried a few themes but it's not helped.

20 minutes ago, YER SISTERS YER MAW said:

Sorry, that was meant to say Chrome.

Ah, ok. Seems like you're not the only one though

I had the last version set up nicely so I could ignore shit like the Politics forum posts whenever I viewed new posts. I also had it set up so the next unread post would automatically be viewed but for some reason I can't do that on this version........what am I doing wrong?

Apologies if already asked, but with the last version in the Unread posts option you could filter out boards/threads that you had no interest in. Is there a similar option with this spankly new version?

Ah looks like you can be following boards? Then setting the filter to only areas you follow?

Quick question, Div! I posted a twitter link on the app but since it now automatically embeds it doesn't actually show up on my app, though it did when I changed to web view.

Will this change when the app is updated?

Archived