Welcome to P&B Version 4.0

Thank you for your patience as we have went through the rather long upgrade to P&B v4. It has been a long time coming and it's been bloody complex and very frustrating, but here we are in the brave new world and hopefully you like what you find.

The underlying forum software has had some huge changes applied. There's too many changes to mention them all but I'm sure you'll have fun poking around.

Here's some headlines;

Responsive Layout
=================
There is no longer separate versions for mobile, tablet and desktop. Instead the theme of the site is responsive which means it adapts automatically to the screen size it is being displayed on. This is a particular bonus for our mobile users as a whopping 60% of our traffic now comes from mobile.

Activity Streams
=================
You will see the new "Activity" link at the top of the page in the menu bar. This is where you can now view unread content, content you posted or create your own customised activity stream of stuff you are interested in like all content posted by certain members for example.
There is still an unread content button too but give the Activity Streams a go, they are dece!

Note that from day one post upgrade ALL content is marked as read for ALL users. It will catch up obviously as new posts are made but initially don't be concerned if you don't see as many posts as you were expecting in unread content.

Logins
=================
Previously we've had a display name and a username. For most members that was the same but for a few it was different. Now you only have a display name. Your login for the forum is now whatever your display name was previously. This is quite important for those who did have separate names. If you can't mind your display name use the forgotten password link to regain access.

Teaam Themes
=================
Previously we had one team theme and multiple variations of that for each club within the same theme. This caused some screen flicker issues. Now each club has it's own specific theme that we can customise as we wish. The themes are available by using the theme picker right at the bottom of the site. The current team themes are fairly simple but we'll aim to improve them over time. The new "flat" look and feel is a bit more modern, a bit wider, and hopefully a bit faster.

If our upgrade has worked correctly then your default theme should have automatically updated to the theme for the team on your profile. If you support a team outside the 42 in the #SPFL then you should see the default Scotland theme.

Why Old Posts Look Strange
===========================
This is a big upgrade technically. Every single post on the board, all 3.6 million of them, needs to be rebuilt to fit with the new database structure. This process will probably take a full week to do but will run in the background with very low priority so it shouldn't cause any performance issues. What you will definitely see is that the older posts look strange initially. Some of the formatting won't be quite right, especially with quotes, emoticons and videos. This will all work itself out eventually, please just be patient. New content created today onwards is not affected by this.

Advertisements
=================
The bugbear of P&Bers forever, but our advertising systems keep us going. We've streamlined the ads as much as possible, removing some of the more obtrusive ad placements such as the Skyscapers, and replaced these with fewer slots. What is new however is that we now run ads on mobile. There is one at the top of the page and one at the bottom.

With 60% of our traffic now on mobile this was something we could no longer ignore I'm afraid.

Platinum Club
===============
The platinum club has been reworked. It remains at £10 for 12 months membership but you can now also subscribe on a monthly basis for £1 a month if you like. Subscriptions can now be paid directly via credit card or via the old paypal system. Memberships can be purchased by clicking "Store" in the menu system at the top of the page.

Platinum members see no adverts at all on the site on either desktop, mobile or tablet. The platinum members will also have exclusive access to our new chat room on the forum.

All existing Platinum members will be given a 12 month subscription dated 1st August 2016. This will run through to 31st July 2017. These subscriptions will be added in the next few days but all Platinum users will already be enjoying the site ad free.

Chat Room
===============
Platinum members now have access to our new chat room within the forum. This can be accessed via the Chat link at the top of the site. Decent for if you are all watching a match and want to shoot the breeze with fellow members.

Performance
===============
We've updated all sorts of things to try and speed up the performance of the board. Initially you can expect it to be a wee bit sluggish as everyone logs on to see what's changed and the background post rebuilds are happening but it should calm down. We will be monitoring continually to ensure everything is working as it should.

Support System
=================
Our support has been pretty pants over the years to be fair. The moderating team do a great job of supporting day to day forum maintenance but outside of that our support has been rubbish. I'm hoping to improve that by using the new ticketing system inside the forum. If you click on Support you'll be able to log any issues you are having without leaving the board. I'll review these tickets every day so the longest you should ever wait for some sort of answer is 24 hours.

Bugs
=================
With an upgrade of this size and complexity there will be some teething issues. Please log these in the support system or in the topic we've created in the support section of the forum and we'll try and go through these as quickly as possible. Thanks again for your patience.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of the platinum membership - I actually signed up to the £1 p/m option during the last attempt at the upgrade, but I'm still getting ads (viewing on mobile) and it's showing me as being just a gold member, any chance of this being fixed? No rush!

1 minute ago, Kris. said:

On the subject of the platinum membership - I actually signed up to the £1 p/m option during the last attempt at the upgrade, but I'm still getting ads (viewing on mobile) and it's showing me as being just a gold member, any chance of this being fixed? No rush!

Yes mate, I saw that today, I will get that fixed once this has all calmed down, sorry about that!

The background processes are going to keep things running slower than I'd like for the next few days but the software is now stable.

Things will settle down, it will just take a few days of slowness to get us over the line.

Just now, mizfit said:

I can't log in on the app, should I do forgotten password and hope it resets? 

Remember your login name is now your display name. That wasn't always the case for all members. Your login should be mizfit

Just now, Łukasz said:

Any chance of me getting my fancy Polish "L" back? (It could however be an issue with my browser)

Sure mate, sorry about that, looks like the database conversion has screwed that. Can you type the display name as it should be and I will fix.

I suppose congratulations are in order.

However...

I'm getting Rangers strips along the top of the screen. Is this some kind of sick joke, if not how do I change it to Berwick Rangers?

Also it's typing with double-line spacing. Any idea how to turn that off?

Finally it beeps everytime someone replies while reading a thread. Any idea how to turn that off?

1 minute ago, Łukasz said:

The new layout looks cracking IMO. Not fully enjoying the Motherwell theme, I think I had the "Classic" one before, so I'm looking forward to the additional themes. Good work Div!

Yeah we will get some alternatives uploaded soon. The team themes will also get some tweaking.

3 minutes ago, Big Fifer said:

For some reason I have 6 notifications on the chat tab, and I'm not a Platinum member so can't access it.

It's not a notification. It's how many of us snobs are in the chat room. 

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

I'm getting Rangers strips along the top of the screen. Is this some kind of sick joke, if not how do I change it to Berwick Rangers?

Also it's typing with double-line spacing. Any idea how to correct off?

Finally it beeps everytime someone replies while reading a thread. Any idea how to turn that off?

You can change the theme at the very bottom and middle of the page Grandpa.

Archived