Martin and Hanley

1 hour ago, troopio said:

Interesting move........See another Strachan Fave in Greer will be going to Bolton, surely this must mean the end of his Scotland Career now as there is no way we should be calling him up whilst playing for a struggling Bolton, assuming he goes there and even plays.

Bolton are League One, eh? Yeah, surely that's his career tapering off now. Can see him being freed in January and ending up somewhere in Scotland.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest DAVIDB69
Bolton are League One, eh? Yeah, surely that's his career tapering off now. Can see him being freed in January and ending up somewhere in Scotland.

He will still be in the squad I suspect

Judging by his disciples' unanimous backing of his selection policy, it's hard to imagine Strachan just dropping him purely because of his change of club.

Despite the obvious fact that it's a major indicator of his ability, he will still occupy a berth because despite continually failing (except his wonderful clean sheet in a Norway friendly....wow!!), there are those who refuse to see the benefits of trying out new players when faced with the dearth we have. 

Greer is a Strachan fave, eh?? We hardly ever lost (if at all) when he played? Greer was pretty harmless, done an alright job when called upon.

Seriously, where are these brilliant defenders Strachan is missing out on, I'm sure he'd appreciate the help.

How long till some Aberdeen fan suggests Reynolds? 

I am an Aberdeen fan and I certainly wouldn't be suggesting Reynolds even when he was form I wouldn't either, can see why he was called up at the time but from a personal POV he is nothing more than a competent defender for SPFL Level as his use of the ball and passing range is abysmal for someone of his level.

Big Gordon Greer can be pretty pleased with his Scotland career. Never pulled out of any squads with fake injuries like some of the other shitebags, always performed admirably whenever called upon as a backup, and has a pretty good win % in his games. All after only making his debut at 32. We've had PLENTY worse defenders over the years.

True. Nowt against him but I don't want a squad place taken up by a 35 YO league one-r

Big Gordon Greer can be pretty pleased with his Scotland career. Never pulled out of any squads with fake injuries like some of the other shitebags, always performed admirably whenever called upon as a backup, and has a pretty good win % in his games. All after only making his debut at 32. We've had PLENTY worse defenders over the years.

Yes, a good servant and good defender. Sadly, his legs are going these days, but I wish all the players had his attitude.

Well said Sir, I agree entirely.

If only we'd have thrown him into his debut when he was a teenager he'd be a superstar by now. That's how it works right?

I do agree with the sentiments. Never let us down, has a had a very good career. A lot better than any Kilmarnock fan would have predicted when he left I imagine

Good signing for Newcastle is Hanley. Mountain of a centre back. No nonsense, would header bricks clear and fantastic in a tackle. His positioning can be suspect and I'm not fully comfortable seeing him with the ball at his feet, but as long as he has someone who can play a bit from the back next to him he'll easily slot into a Premiership back 4 (when Newcastle return)

Always been a fan of big Grant.

Good signing for Newcastle is Hanley. Mountain of a centre back. No nonsense, would header bricks clear and fantastic in a tackle. His positioning can be suspect and I'm not fully comfortable seeing him with the ball at his feet, but as long as he has someone who can play a bit from the back next to him he'll easily slot into a Premiership back 4 (when Newcastle return)

Yup. He's as solid a defender as we've got at the moment. Always said he'll be our captain soon, and will reach 70-80 caps.

Just now, Gordopolis said:

Yup. He's as solid a defender as we've got at the moment. Always said he'll be our captain soon, and will reach 70-80 caps.

You're right with the caps prediction imo. He's still a young guy, got plenty years ahead of him in the starting 11 of the national team.

He'll be our main centre half for years to come. It's the slot next to him at the back that worries me for the coming years.

11 hours ago, Underpants Gnome said:

You're right with the caps prediction imo. He's still a young guy, got plenty years ahead of him in the starting 11 of the national team.

He'll be our main centre half for years to come. It's the slot next to him at the back that worries me for the coming years.

Thank f**k previous managers didnt wait till he was mid twenties to get him experience of the national team

Grant Hanley has been bought for Championship level. If any Premiership team really rated him, they would have bought him years ago.

Newcastle will drop him to bench if they return back to Premiership, as they will buy real quality then....

Sad, but how most Scots players are thought of at top-level in England.

Archived