Martin and Hanley

These 2 are generally seen as our best central defender partnership , going in the world cup qualifiers is there anyone else who can challenge Hanley and Martin as like many I think both are decent players at club level , I think at international level they have struggled and are the weak point in our team

Or are they the best we have?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Danny Wilson isn't good enough for the Scottish Premiership, let alone the Scottish national team.

Re Martin and Hanley, they make me long for the old Caldwell and McManus partnership. At least we were capable of the odd shutout with them.

I don't think there's much between Berra, Martin and Hanley.

Personally, I'd rather have Martin at right back with Hanley and Berra in the middle.

I did have high hopes for Liam Cooper but since he was one of the few to get no game time against Denmark and Czech Republic I can only guess Strachan wasn't impressed.

Danny Wilson.  :lol:

Think people just need to accept that we are a complete embarrassment and we'll have to wait until an entire new generation of players come through to see if we can give qualification a decent go. Hopefully we are rid of failures and snakes like Strachan and Regan by then too.

Danny Wilson.  :lol:

Think people just need to accept that we are a complete embarrassment and we'll have to wait until an entire new generation of players come through to see if we can give qualification a decent go. Hopefully we are rid of failures and snakes like Strachan and Regan by then too.

We could be rid of them a lot sooner, and improve our chances of finding success a lot sooner, if peole stopped endorsing Regan as CEO and Strachan's daily soundshites on how we're so much better than other teams. Thing with Regan though, is that he's delivered outstanding financial results for the SFA, while giving the fans the very man they want in charge of the team. Both jobs are utterly pressure-free zones, as they both have regularly threatened us with all sorts of doom involving the NeoGers.

I had really high hopes for Wilson after his Scotland debut, but he's done little but disappoint since. He's prone to being roasted by quick players at a Scottish Championship level. Far too slow and ponderous from what I've seen. He'd need to make big improvements to make the step up.

The most depressing thing, though, is that we don't have any players to challenge average at best players like Martin and Hanley.

Danny Wilson. :lol:

This. The problem is that there is absolute nothing coming through in the foreseeable future team in terms of quality. Even Ryan Gauld isn't turning into the world superstar some thought he would be (see separate thread). Until something changes then the next decade or so we will continue to lag behind the likes of Wales, Iceland, Nothern Ireland, Albania and so on

Danny Wilson. :lol:

So we just don't bother playing internationals till then?

What a thoroughly defeatist attitude.

This. The problem is that there is absolute nothing coming through in the foreseeable future team in terms of quality. Even Ryan Gauld isn't turning into the world superstar some thought he would be (see separate thread). Until something changes then the next decade or so we will continue to lag behind the likes of Wales, Iceland, Nothern Ireland, Albania and so on

we're miles ahead of northern Ireland, they'd kill for some of the players who can't even get in our squad, we could put out 3 squads better than Iceland too and are better than Albania. One tournament doesn't mean they have better players, the northern Ireland keeper just got released by Hamiltonf ffs, we have 3 outstanding keepers they don't have any. Only Evans and Davis would get in our squad.

e name="Phil1870" post="10598392" timestamp="1467595798"]We'd also call up Cathcart and McAuley at the drop of a hat. Considering this thread is questioning our options at the back then it's important to mention.

Yes indeed. Northern Ireland's success in qualifying and then in making it out their group in France was down to their defensive players. In Cathcart, McAuley and Evans they have 3 proven EPL quality players at the back. All 3 of them would start for Scotland.

Martin and Hanley probably are our best centre half pairing and will probably both start if fit in the WCQ's. The fact they aren't up to it at international level will be one of the main reasons we fail to qualify for Russia. What a sad, sad situation.

we're miles ahead of northern Ireland, they'd kill for some of the players who can't even get in our squad, we could put out 3 squads better than Iceland too and are better than Albania. One tournament doesn't mean they have better players, the northern Ireland keeper just got released by Hamiltonf ffs, we have 3 outstanding keepers they don't have any. Only Evans and Davis would get in our squad.

What utter pish!

Archived