Duns FC

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

eyemouth is enclosed

They could then be candidate.   I suspect nothing major will happen - like seeking talks with the Juniors on integration - and the drip towards oblivion will continue.

If you assume that 64 clubs is the ideal number for the East Region Juniors, then there are three vacancies and Harthill Royal are working on coming back the season after next, so perhaps only two left unless they are happy to see District Leagues expand beyond 16.

Either way, some EoSFL are bound to be looking at it.

Sad to see another team go.  Very interesting to see what happens next with the league.

26 teams in 2012/13.  Nine leave to join the Lowland League.  The reserves of Hibs, Spartans and Stirling Uni enter the league.

20 teams in 2013/14.  Edinburgh Uni leave to join the Lowland League.  The reserves of Hibs and Berwick quit.

17 teams in 2014/15.  Easthouses join the Juniors.  Kelso fold.

15 teams in 2015/16.  Civil Service and Hawick join the Lowland League.  Craigroyston join the Juniors.  Duns fold.  Spartans reserves quit.  Tweedmouth enter the league.

11 teams in 2016/17.

It's getting harder to see how the league can last long-term.  Since 2013, 12 teams have left for the Lowland League, two to the juniors, two teams have folded and three reserve teams have quit.  That's 19 teams gone.  The only new teams who have joined and are still there are Stirling Uni reserves and Tweedmouth.

I think the point has probably been reached now where none of the remaining teams will be very realistic candidates for the Lowland League in the future.  Coldstream and Burntisland have a licence but didn't apply for the league for this season.  Only eight other first teams left.  I'm not sure many of them could realistically achieve a licence (maybe Heriot-Watt with the developments that are happening at Riccarton?) and the strongest sides seem nowhere near a licence.

In some ways, it seems like the best thing would be for the league to disappear and the teams either join the juniors or the amateurs.  At least that would finally remove the junior/senior divide between teams at that level.  I'm not sure how much it would help the pyramid.  The north has the straightforward Highland League to north juniors step but still no signs of any integration.

There will surely be other clubs (like Ormiston and Burntisland) considering a switch to the juniors in the future.

Interesting times ahead and the trend seems to suggest that more clubs will be gone from the league next summer.

That said there are numerous amateur clubs, in Coldstream Ams, Chirnside United (they used to have reserves too), Duns Reserves who will continue as Duns, Earlston Rhymers, Eyemouth Ams, Gordon, Greenlaw and Lauder. Until not that long ago Ayton and Cockburnspath had teams too.

There are also Tweedmouth Ams and a new Berwick Rangers Ams playing alongside the above in the BAL.

There is also a new Spittal Rovers in the Northern Alliance, on top of Harrow, Highfields, Springhill etc. in the North Northumberland League, and Tweedmouth Rangers have entered the EOSL alongside Coldstream and Eyemouth Utd.

So on the one hand Berwick and Berwickshire already has many teams, perhaps too many... on the other, what is 1 more among a dozen-and-a-half? It's a perplexing one. Borders football often is.

The amateur scene and the lower level of the pyramid in the other side of the borders seem to be ok but it's when the big travels either into Edinburgh or Newcastle/Cumbria if your in the Alliance once you climb the ladder seem to be where the problems start. Personally I think it's a lot down to the travelling and players don't want to or can't commit.

Be interested to see how Spittal Rovers get on in the Alliance even though they didn't win the NNL second division last season. Although off the park they do seem well organised which they will need to be for the drain of travel costs up & down to Newcastle every week.

At the time of Duns applying for the EOS, I didn't personally want them in, as it was another club fighting for the same type of players, in the same area and if Duns managed to survive, it would be at the expense of another club in the area. As another club folds, or leaves, it weakens the league even more and players don't see it as much as a step up anymore, so stay in the NNL or BA, also with the LL and the majority of Berwick based players staying in their town to play, players are scarce. Imo it's time to merge in some way with the East South juniors

I don't think that will be on the cards immediately because the top clubs like LTHV, Leith and Tynecastle want to chase the title and Scottish Cup place; Burntisland plus Coldstream have to protect their licences (I appreciate some predict the SFA "pyramid commitment" rule would prove a "paper tiger"); the universities find things much easier in registration and reinstatement terms playing senior rather than junior football, particularly given both run U20 teams; and it would mean much more travelling for the Border clubs unless things were reorganised into North, Central & South districts.

However, if that is not going to happen the EOS League must launch an active, visible recruitment program - with the aim of taking in the best 2-3 clubs (whether Juniors interested in the pyramid, Amateurs, or even SYFA U21s) to get back to say 14 with an ambition of say 16 in the medium term.

That is different to only considering proactive applicants, without guarantees on the best being accepted, and rejecting those who don't met most/all ground criteria upfront.

Otherwise there must be a very great risk that another club takes a judgement of the way the wind is blowing, and decide to go Junior to save themself - or someone else folds, or Stirling Uni EOS wind-up, or whatever - and you've reached the point of no return. Things have already got pretty critical. Stanleys figures illustrating what is only 3yrs decline (2013 to 2016)... 26, 20, 17, 15, 11... are grave.

Its quite clearly time for representatives from EOfS and East Juniors to sit round the table and discuss amalgamating the leagues There is no club currently in the EofS seeking promotion to the LL. It would be far better suited for a club like Linlithgow

I don't think that will be on the cards immediately because the top clubs like LTHV, Leith and Tynecastle want to chase the title and Scottish Cup place; Burntisland plus Coldstream have to protect their licences (I appreciate some predict the SFA "pyramid commitment" rule would prove a "paper tiger"); the universities find things much easier in registration and reinstatement terms playing senior rather than junior football, particularly given both run U20 teams; and it would mean much more travelling for the Border clubs unless things were reorganised into North, Central & South districts.

However, if that is not going to happen the EOS League must launch an active, visible recruitment program - with the aim of taking in the best 2-3 clubs (whether Juniors interested in the pyramid, Amateurs, or even SYFA U21s) to get back to say 14 with an ambition of say 16 in the medium term.

That is different to only considering proactive applicants, without guarantees on the best being accepted, and rejecting those who don't met most/all ground criteria upfront.

Otherwise there must be a very great risk that another club takes a judgement of the way the wind is blowing, and decide to go Junior to save themself - or someone else folds, or Stirling Uni EOS wind-up, or whatever - and you've reached the point of no return. Things have already got pretty critical. Stanleys figures illustrating what is only 3yrs decline (2013 to 2016)... 26, 20, 17, 15, 11... are grave.

It's clearly time to end the nonsense of "Senior" and "Junior" leagues covering the same area, so instead of seeking to recruit more amateur teams to pad out the league, the clubs who want a good standard of football in a solid environment should seek to join the Juniors. The remainder can join the Border Amateurs or wherever.

It's clearly time to end the nonsense of "Senior" and "Junior" leagues covering the same area, so instead of seeking to recruit more amateur teams to pad out the league, the clubs who want a good standard of football in a solid environment should seek to join the Juniors. The remainder can join the Border Amateurs or wherever.

That seems a bit too sensible for Scottish football.

More likely that the league will struggle on for a few more years, a couple more teams will join the juniors, Stirling Uni will quit, another team might fold and eventually the league will fold.

It's not quite as simple as that though, as I've pointed-out... Joining the South District of the East Juniors, or their local amateur leagues, does not give the opportunity to win a title and qualify for the Scottish Cup; obtain or retain a club licence; easily and cheaply move players in and out of senior U20s and university matches on a weekly basis; and in the case of the likes of Peebles, Coldstream and Eyemouth entails either a substantial increase in travel or a substantial loss of prestige (indeed there are already parallel amateur XIs in all 3 towns).

That gives many a reason not to throw in the towel and go their own way, as opposed to negotiating a reorganisation or seeking to soldier-on. That's not a defence of the historical multiplicity of grades, but simply a reflection of reality for some clubs, IMO.

In turn, it's simply logical to conclude that seeking to soldier-on would entail seeking to recruit some additional members.

Obviously if numbers keep falling the "every man for himself" scenario will come about naturally, tbf.

The way things are going you can see some of the more Edinburgh/Lothian based sides jumping ship to the juniors and the Borders sides ending up in the Borders leagues.

Its sad that the EOS has gone this way but I suppose with the formation on the Lowland League they were the ones who were going to suffer the most.

It's not quite as simple as that though, as I've pointed-out... Joining the South District of the East Juniors, or their local amateur leagues, does not give the opportunity to win a title and qualify for the Scottish Cup; obtain or retain a club licence; easily and cheaply move players in and out of senior U20s and university matches on a weekly basis; and in the case of the likes of Peebles, Coldstream and Eyemouth entails either a substantial increase in travel or a substantial loss of prestige (indeed there are already parallel amateur XIs in all 3 towns).

That gives many a reason not to throw in the towel and go their own way, as opposed to negotiating a reorganisation or seeking to soldier-on. That's not a defence of the historical multiplicity of grades, but simply a reflection of reality for some clubs, IMO.

In turn, it's simply logical to conclude that seeking to soldier-on would entail seeking to recruit some additional members.

Obviously if numbers keep falling the "every man for himself" scenario will come about naturally, tbf.

If the EOSL did fold surely the SFA would have to allow clubs with a licence to take part in the juniors or what ever without the threat of losing their licence like they do with Banks of Dee and Golspie Sutherland up north.

Hibee, can't quote your post for some reason, but Girvan have been awarded Entry while playing Junior and Banks o'Dee play in the Aberdeenshire senior 21s with the same players who play Junior so both of these scenarios would act as some sort of precedent? Also, when a junior club plays a tie in the Senior cup, the players don't immediately gain senior status so reinstatement is not always required. What rule permits this... more likely a blind eye turned to an archaic tax.

Edit: I know the Uni sides switch players between Senior and Amateur FA though which is an added complication...

Tbf, Banks o'Dee would have the same dispensation as Linlithgow - they were both granted licenses at the same time.

I was mainly referring to the idea they leave their existing league to move into another grade, as opposed to them having to due to EOSL collapsing.

Ultimately I suspect the answer is no-one actually knows, and that uncertainty is perhaps a discouragement in itself.

Under current arrangements it could be a nightmare for the unis switching players between Juniors, LL U20s and BUCS. Ditto other clubs in LL U20s. Banks o'Dee may just re-register their players for Aberdeenshire U20s - games are on Mondays and they only play 10 league games and no cups. Or maybe a blind eye is turned for 1 club in unique circumstances.

Of course the need for separate registration - and indeed reinstatement - is something else which should be swept away.

I notice Aberdeen Uni - first university to enter Juniors, IIRC - have quit after 2 seasons. Not sure if that was one of their issues.

according to their website eyemouth ams have withdrawn from border ams league as they cannot find a manager.   they are hoping to return next season

I think that earns Duns Reserves (as was) a reprieve - they'll stay in BAL 'B' Division?

I don't have any inside knowledge at all but I feel like the teams will retain their licence regardless of what they league they play in.  Linlithgow and Banks O'Dee might have been before the pyramid clause was added but Glasgow Uni, Golspie and, most importantly, Girvan were after.  I can't see a team having their licence removed based on their league.  It doesn't seem like things are like that based on what has happened so far.

I don't have any inside knowledge at all but I feel like the teams will retain their licence regardless of what they league they play in.  Linlithgow and Banks O'Dee might have been before the pyramid clause was added but Glasgow Uni, Golspie and, most importantly, Girvan were after.  I can't see a team having their licence removed based on their league.  It doesn't seem like things are like that based on what has happened so far.

Fair point Stanley if it came to the worst for the EOSL and licenced clubs had no option but to more to the juniors or amateurs the SFA couldn't really do anything about it.

Given the current state of the EoSFL, I don’t think the SFA can realistically force clubs to move to it (or remain members) to comply with Licencing requirements, all it’s going to take is for a couple of clubs at the end of next season to join the Juniors or withdraw to push it to the brink.

Clubs need to apply to the SJFA by – I think – end of March for membership. Given Duns late withdrawal, some clubs must be considering making the move already to avoid the risk of more late withdrawals next year reducing the league even further. Jumping ship in a pre-planned manner so to speak.

On 3 July 2016 at 9:04 PM, HibeeJibee said:

I think that earns Duns Reserves (as was) a reprieve - they'll stay in BAL 'B' Division?

Just received fixts for first 3 weeks of season - Duns are in the C.

Archived