Your financial situation

My girlfriend is having a pretty shit time at work just now. Basically covering for people in her office including her boss who don't seem to give a f**k and she is coming home from work stressed and angry almost all the time. Her boss who is supposed to be responsible for those in the office thinks nothing about phoning in and saying she will work from home, this may mean she does her own personal emails but every time the phone rings it will inevitably have to go to her as she is the only one who will possibly be able to answer the question unless it is something bog standard. There are a few other workers in the office who are supposed to be on her level and one who is meant to be higher qualifies and they all sound like absolute idiots, one of them is a guy who genuinely brags about how it is beneath him to answer the phone even if it means she is the one who has to do it. Anyway I tell her just to look for another job and see what happens as her CV will be great and she has done most of an accounting course but she is too scared to do it as I am at uni and not working full time and she may end up in a worse job.

Her job pays her okay and despite her paying all the bills and shopping we do still have a bit left over at the end of the month and have had nice holidays and live a good life so it's hard to know what she should do. I always think it's better to take a leap of faith as her situation doesn't seem to change and her co workers and bosses genuinely don't seem to give a f**k and she does.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Reading this thread makes me realise how easy I have it - both work wise and financially.  I don't get paid a fortune but it pays all the bills and, outwith my mortgage, I don't have any debts.  Never had a loan or credit card.

Reading this thread makes me realise how easy I have it - both work wise and financially.  I don't get paid a fortune but it pays all the bills and, outwith my mortgage, I don't have any debts.  Never had a loan or credit card.

I didn't get a credit card until I was about 30 and I ended up getting one for emergencies although emergencies could be not having enough pissing up money at the end of the month.  :rolleyes: I buy stuff online with it and pay it off as soon as I can, it gives a bit of flexibility and I like that. I bought our ST's on it for example. The limit is something ridiculous because I've had it for years but I've never been near it. Its good to know if I needed to jump on a flight to the other side of the world tomorrow (for some bizarre reason) I have access to the funds. I suppose its just a handy 'tool' to have as long as you use it properly.

I always have at least a few hundred in my pocket before I leave the house each day. 8)  sometimes  over a grand, if the wife doesn't know. :thumsup2

You sound like a compulsive gambler.

I had a bad day today and my gf had a good day so we have treated ourself to wine, hopefully this will result in an equilibrium that will lead to intercourse. Making it an average day for both of us.

Our outgoings on mortgage food and all bills is 40.7% of our net income so will have no impact. Absolutely astonished the amount some people are paying towards mortgages

It really depends on your situation. If you're young and have realistic chances of getting promotions then it can make sense to 'go big' knowing you'll catch up. I know people who've done it especially in pricey places like Edinburgh. It can be worth the risk wherever you are, at some point the mortgage will be paid off instead of paying rent for the rest of your days. We're all different and while I'm a bit of a pussy on this kind of stuff I can understand why some push it.

It really depends on your situation. If you're young and have realistic chances of getting promotions then it can make sense to 'go big' knowing you'll catch up. I know people who've done it especially in pricey places like Edinburgh. It can be worth the risk wherever you are, at some point the mortgage will be paid off instead of paying rent for the rest of your days. We're all different and while I'm a bit of a pussy on this kind of stuff I can understand why some push it.

My girlfriend and I don't exactly make massive money but to have a mortgage approaching 30% of net income we'd have to be in a 4 bedroom house in Milngavie, Bearsden, Newton Mearns or the like

Me too. Myself and my fiancé are both in low level management jobs, not great pay but we managed to save a good amount to put towards a mortgage (moved in 3 months ago) still both have our own cars, wedding getting paid up and still have money left over.

Just now, .Stuart. said:

Me too. Myself and my fiancé are both in low level management jobs, not great pay but we managed to save a good amount to put towards a mortgage (moved in 3 months ago) still both have our own cars, wedding getting paid up and still have money left over.

Wedding?  Sucker.

Archived