Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit

FlyerTon

Next UK Labour Leader - post Brexit  

125 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Everyone in Labour needs to ask themselves if Corbyn is a disaster because:

a) he's too left-wing

b) he's an incompetent politician with no leadership qualities

c) both of the above

B is clearly the case but question marks remain if left-wing policies would guarantee failure anyway. Can they find another candidate who is in a similar place on the political spectrum to Corbyn but isn't utterly shit at gaining loyalty in the party and dealing with media scrutiny? Certainly the majority of MPs won't want to, but will they get a backlash from the grassroots of the party if they oust Corbyn then don't give another left-winger enough nominations from the PLP to stand?

• Replies 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everyone in Labour needs to ask themselves if Corbyn is a disaster because:

a) he's too left-wing

b) he's an incompetent politician with no leadership qualities

c) both of the above

B is clearly the case but question marks remain if left-wing policies would guarantee failure anyway. Can they find another candidate who is in a similar place on the political spectrum to Corbyn but isn't utterly shit at gaining loyalty in the party and dealing with media scrutiny? Certainly the majority of MPs won't want to, but will they get a backlash from the grassroots of the party if they oust Corbyn then don't give another left-winger enough nominations from the PLP to stand?

Part of the problem with Labour in the EU referendum was the fact that there's a clear anti-immigrant sentiment in many of the Leave constituencies. Problem will be, I'm not sure how that can be fixed, and who can do it, presuming they remain a pro-immigration party.

They'll chuck Corbyn and bring in someone new but that's not going to fix the growing issues as Labour voters in the North seemingly flock to UKIP.

I think Hilary Ben would probably fit the bill. Compromise candidate.

I think Labour need to go down the pro-immigration route. 48.1% of the electorate weren't turned off by a pro-immigration stance and half the rest of them vote for us anyway. Become pro-immigration, declare Gillian Duffy a bigot and chase the metropolitan progressive vote. I can only see it harming us in our heartlands where a donkey in a red rosette would get elected.

Part of the problem with Labour in the EU referendum was the fact that there's a clear anti-immigrant sentiment in many of the Leave constituencies. Problem will be, I'm not sure how that can be fixed, and who can do it, presuming they remain a pro-immigration party.

They'll chuck Corbyn and bring in someone new but that's not going to fix the growing issues as Labour voters in the North seemingly flock to UKIP.

The north of England is inherently a right wing area and has been for years. They only voted labour as the working man stuff gave them a voice. It didn't bubble over until Labour collapsed by forgetting it's roots under Blair which has disenfranchised their core support. UKIP has given them back the voice they used to have.

Can't see them getting that support back any time soon.

I think Hilary Ben would probably fit the bill. Compromise candidate.

I think Labour need to go down the pro-immigration route. 48.1% of the electorate weren't turned off by a pro-immigration stance and half the rest of them vote for us anyway. Become pro-immigration, declare Gillian Duffy a bigot and chase the metropolitan progressive vote. I can only see it harming us in our heartlands where a donkey in a red rosette would get elected.

Australian points system, IMO

Gisela Stuart (grrrr) must be strutting around like a dug with two dicks tonight. She's the only Labour politician who emerges with even an iota of leadership skills.

She's absolutely atrocious. She voted leave ffs.

She's absolutely atrocious. She voted leave ffs.

Of course she's atrocious but that's not the point.  She showed some leadership and verve, which every other prominent Labour figure failed to do and her stock must be riding high.

I watched Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell last night.  Senile, superannuated auld Dimbleby ran rings round him. 

If they oust Corbyn and replace him with a Blairite shill they are destined for PASOKification and it'll be nothing more than they deserve. Corbyn must stay for the sake of rUK, Plus the membership will go fucking nuts and the unions wouldn't be happy. The rUK need a social democratic alternative.

If they oust Corbyn and replace him with a Blairite shill they are destined for PASOKification and it'll be nothing more than they deserve. Corbyn must stay for the sake of rUK, Plus the membership will go fucking nuts and the unions wouldn't be happy. The rUK need a social democratic alternative.

Except that they don't want one. Corbyn and other left wingers is as good as handing the next election to the Tories.

English and Welsh politics (I'll use that term to describe GEs, it's abundantly clear now that Scotland votes differently and TFS have their own parties) is about winning the middle ground.

Tony Blair managed to do that three times as someone from the right of the Labour party

Then Cameron did it twice from the left of the Tory party

It's abundantly clear that left wing candidates like Corbyn don't win elections. It's also clear that traditional right wing Tories don't win them. The 2020 winner will be whichever party is led by a candidate who can capture the middle ground. I suspect Boris Johnson may be about to lead the UK for a very long time.

It'll be the British Barack Obama.

To be fair, Labour do need someone decisive. And Chuka's decision to pull out of the last leadership race about 20 minutes after he'd put his name in the hate is possibly the most decisive thing Labour have done since about 1994.

Of course she's atrocious but that's not the point. She showed some leadership and verve, which every other prominent Labour figure failed to do and her stock must be riding high.

I watched Shadow Chancellor John McDonnell last night. Senile, superannuated auld Dimbleby ran rings round him.

She came across as a pathetic snivelling arsehole to me. There was no leadership evidence there whatsoever.

Corbyn clearly isn't leadership material either. Nothing wrong with his principles, but he was always the wrong man for the job. If you can't win its pointless.

Archived