Hibernian Championship Thread 2016/17

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Widge said:

Whilst he's our most naturally talented player, he's certainly not our best in my eyes. There's 3/4 players that are crucial to our team and we play better as a result of having them, Swanson isn't one of them.

Not to say he's not a cracking player who can have a great influence on a game when he plays well, but all too often the team has been left carrying him the last 6 months.

Who would you say was your best player?

Who would you say was your best player?

Shaughnessy, MacLean, Millar are all more consistent and if they're missing it's a lot more apparent than Swanson. Millar maybe not so much, but certainty the other two.

Like I say they're probably not better in one off games and on top form, but over the course of a season these guys and probably several others are far more important and better to saints.

Just now, Widge said:

Shaughnessy, MacLean, Millar are all more consistent and if they're missing it's a lot more apparent than Swanson. Millar maybe not so much, but certainty the other two.

Like I say they're probably not better in one off games and on top form, but over the course of a season these guys and probably several others are far more important and better to saints.

Fair enough.  If there was one player in your side I would like to see at us it is Swanson though.  Your three players sound like Lewis Stevensons. 

Fair enough.  If there was one player in your side I would like to see at us it is Swanson though.  Your three players sound like Lewis Stevensons. 

It's always the flair players that stand out. Never the unseen heroes within a team. I've seen us play without plenty of players this season and we're no worse off without Swanson, as evidenced by the fact he's been awful since Xmas.

Take away the spine of the team though, namely the defenders, Millar and/or Davidson, plus MacLeans influence up front and were noticeably worse. Since we don't have the replacements to cover their loss. Whereas Swanson is replaceable within our team.

In recent seasons we've lost Sandaza, May, O'Halloran, the guys other teams want as they're our best players. We've continued to defy pundits and fans alike and replace them. Our strength isn't in having 2/3 amazing players (ala Dundee United circa 2014, or Dundee last season) its upon having hard working, solid guys who can get a result. If we have that little bit of star quality these guys bring them it's a higher placed finish and maybe a better style of play to get the best from them. If not then we go back to workman like and shitfest our way to the top 6. Either way I'm not bothered, it's successful and frankly we're accused of being boring, yet we've ripped teams apart this season and taken Celtic on competitively every match and actually worried them. I'm not going to lose sleep over Swanson going as I've said he's barely kicked a ball since Xmas. I can't deny he's won us points, but there's nothing to say his replacement wouldn't have either, which is the strength of our squad if they're all fit.

Biggest problem with Swanson is that he'll have brutal matches/spells where all he'll be doing is standing on the left wing failing to dribble past anyone. Only way past it is to play him through these patches.

I'm not sure Lennon will be as patient as Wright was with him, and I imagine Hibs will have more strength in depth than us, so realistically he'll be dropped before he can get out that slump.

20 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Biggest problem with Swanson is that he'll have brutal matches/spells where all he'll be doing is standing on the left wing failing to dribble past anyone. Only way past it is to play him through these patches.

I'm not sure Lennon will be as patient as Wright was with him, and I imagine Hibs will have more strength in depth than us, so realistically he'll be dropped before he can get out that slump.

We're playing Boyle and Shinnie wide at the moment, I'm confident Swanson will produce more than them. Shinnie has been much better lately tbf. Boyle doesn't have much of a end product but his pace forces teams back. We'll probably sign another wide player along with Swanson so he'll certainly have competition for his place.

52 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Swanson will play out his skin at us.  It's the pinnacle of his career.  I dont invisage him resting on his laurels.

Swanson will play out his skin at us.  It's the pinnacle of his career.  I dont invisage him resting on his laurels.

I don't think he necessarily stops trying, he just seems to hit patches where nothing comes off and his head goes down a bit. TW would allow him to play through it and keep his confidence up whereas at Peterborough he'd be dropped and never recover his rhythm

1 hour ago, King_Of_Kings said:

Hand picking St Johnstone's joint top scorer and the man with the most assists for them. When Hibs come knocking they don't say no.

jsew46.gif

Whit? Swanson supports Hibs you cretin. We knew this was likely to happen if you ever came out of the diddy leagues. 

As an aside, he has never won over all saints fans, read into that what you want.

40 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Whit? Swanson supports Hibs you cretin. We knew this was likely to happen if you ever came out of the diddy leagues. 

As an aside, he has never won over all saints fans, read into that what you want.

Your whole squad supports the hibs m8. That's why they were recorded singing sunshine on leith. Good guys working under shite conditions imho 

Archived