Hibernian Championship Thread 2016/17

6 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Still not a lot of cover. Were you guys not linked with Kelvin Wilson way back in January? 

Linked with him, dunno how true that is. We had 4 fit CBs fit in January with the best defensive record in Britain. There was no rush to go sign more defenders. You're normally one of the guys banging on about our budget and going overkill with players, now you think it's odd we didn't go sign a 5th CB? 

Cmon, m9.

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Linked with him, dunno how true that is. We had 4 fit CBs fit in January with the best defensive record in Britain. There was no rush to go sign more defenders. You're normally one of the guys banging on about our budget and going overkill with players, now you think it's odd we didn't go sign a 5th CB? 

Cmon, m9.

I know what you mean m9 but Hibs squad always seems to be top heavy with forwards.Even we have 5 centrehalfs on our books . Hibs have what 6 strikers and only 7 defenders. To me that's a wee bit unbalanced considering the number of positions their covering.

Looks like two good signings. Ideal to get Hibs over the line. Last time we won this league we brought in Kevin RutkieRuz  Rusty and Martin Hardie late in the season and it just shored things up and saw us wrap things up pretty comfortably.  

7 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

I know what you mean m9 but Hibs squad always seems to be top heavy with forwards.Even we have 5 centrehalfs on our books . Hibs have what 6 strikers and only 7 defenders. To me that's a wee bit unbalanced considering the number of positions their covering.

Holt Cummings Keatings Graham Boyle. A lot of the time 3 of them start at the same time. Keatings in the hole or Boyle wide with two up top. Or Boyle wide with Keatings behind the striker and 1 up top. 

That honestly doesnt seem like top heavy at all.

23 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Holt Cummings Keatings Graham Boyle. A lot of the time 3 of them start at the same time. Keatings in the hole or Boyle wide with two up top. Or Boyle wide with Keatings behind the striker and 1 up top. 

That honestly doesnt seem like top heavy at all.

It is when compared to the fact you've only got 7 defenders covering 4 spots. That seems to me to be a wee bit unbalanced.  I'd say youve been at least one player short at the back so far this season.

8 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

I'm not sure if the league table and quarter final cup draw really backs up Shadwell's argument here. 

The fact that their having to sign two defenders this late in the day surely does though. Last season they also had Gunnarson on their books so I was surprised that lennon didnt bring in someone else at the start of the season or at least in January . As the guys have mentioned their defence has gone from the best in britain to a mess recently due to the quality of replacement available in the squad.

3 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

The fact that their having to sign two defenders this late in the day surely does though. Last season they also had Gunnarson on their books so I was surprised that lennon didnt bring in someone else at the start of the season or at least in January .

It's not the toughest position any team will find themselves in though is it? Seven points clear, a bit short in defence and they can bring in an African Cup of Nations winner and a guy who has played in the top flight for most of his career. 

2 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It's not the toughest position any team will find themselves in though is it? Seven points clear, a bit short in defence and they can bring in an African Cup of Nations winner and a guy who has played in the top flight for most of his career. 

Ambrose should do okay at this level I would think but god knows why their signing McLean even as a back up. He was a total liability when he played with us  and one of the many reasons we're stuck in the champonship.

4 minutes ago, Shadwell Dog said:

Ambrose should do okay at this level I would think but god knows why their signing McLean even as a back up. He was a total liability when he played with us  and one of the many reasons we're stuck in the champonship.

Top boy. 

6 hours ago, Crawford Baptie said:

Hibs are going to win the league regardless of this signing.

However staring with Holt and Ambrose in the first X1 should see them stutter to the title.

Grant Holt is better than anything Falkirk have upfront, inlcluding that diving hearts c**t Miller 

The fact that their having to sign two defenders this late in the day surely does though. Last season they also had Gunnarson on their books so I was surprised that lennon didnt bring in someone else at the start of the season or at least in January . As the guys have mentioned their defence has gone from the best in britain to a mess recently due to the quality of replacement available in the squad.

We're having to sign 2 defenders as all 4 of our centre backs happen to be injured/suspended at the same time.

13 minutes ago, The Grass Is Greener. said:

Shadwell seems to think a club of our size should have 6 CBs on the books to cover for 4 being unavailable. 

Even we've got 5. I just reckon you were one defender short at the start of the season . Another defender who can play rb/ch would've given you a bit more cover. If all 4 get injured and you end up playing ambrose and mclean then you will be in bother.

Just now, Shadwell Dog said:

Even we've got 5. I just reckon you were one defender short at the start of the season . Another defender who can play rb/ch would've given you a bit more cover. If all 4 get injured and you end up playing ambrose and mclean then you will be in bother.

I think we'll be just fine, tbh.

Archived