Lanark Utd 2016/17

graemeb

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me, the main aim was to give players who hadn't been playing a game, emerge injury free and get no yellow/red cards. A result would be a bonus.

We achieved all this and more. Thoroughly deserved our victory and we got a good performance too against a higher division, albeit poor Greenock. Not our starting 11 with no Cammy Lawson , Davie Collins,  Paul Burns nor indeed the enigma known as Shug! Finished the match with 2 15 year olds.

First goal a penalty on the stroke of half time from yet another penalty taker, Andrew Creilly. Two excellent goals from young Ronan plus two shots against the woodwork with the keeper beaten by DD sealed the victory.

Another excellent performance from our keeper Gareth who has made such a difference to us. Must take my hat off to Alan Christie who gets used and abused in all sorts of positions. He gets on with it and steps up to do the right thing by the team.

Through to the next round in the knowledge that Carluke lost in the league against lowly Ashfield which puts promotion back in our own hands.

• 4 weeks later...

One game to go and we are now favourites to take the 3rd promotion place.

EK need to win all their games to go up, starting at champions Perthshire next week.

Don't recall us ever beating Gartcairn so, despite their surprise defeat today we need to do the business next weekend and not rely upon others.

Shame that Alan Christie has suffered such a bad injury and won't be able to help us next weekend.

Regardless of the outcome, I have enjoyed this season. We have some good footballers and an excellent keeper. The last time we lost a league game, other than to champions Perthshire was the 17th September which is a record to be proud of. Had we turned a couple of our draws into wins then we'd have been up by now.

Everyone at Lanark seconds the statement regarding Alan Christie.

He's played every position with the exception of goalkeeper this season and had a positive impact everywhere.

We wish him a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing him back fit and healthy again.

Hugely disappointed with our result today but can't blame anyone other than ourselves. Had lots of chances to win the game and Ashfield wasted time from the 8th minute so clearly were well aware we needed to win. 

Good luck to EK Lanark and Carluke for the battle for 3rd and congrats to Port for grabbing second

Last game of the season. All or nothing.

Can't recall ever beating Gartcairn, so a good time to start. If we win we should go up but not mathematically certain. Results elsewhere could see us go up tomorrow IF we take care of business ourselves.

What will be will be.

1 hour ago, Gartcairn Army said:

Looking forward to the game. Am I correct in saying even if Cairn beat Lanark today they can still go up on goal difference?

A narrow defeat would not end our promotion hopes. Carluke would need to win and there be a 5 goal swing in goal difference

A draw would mean Carluke could not overtake us, even if they win today and Carluke would still need to win all of their 4 games to hope to go up.

A win today and EK drop any points then we are up.

Going to be fun!

Lanark 1 Gartcairn 3

Losing I can take. Not turning up however is the disappointment. Gartcairn much the better team today.

Promotion is now in EK's hands.

Cairn were very good today and deserved the victory. Was surprised how comfortable the game was as I expected Lanark to be really up for it.

EK have dunnipace away, Newmains and ourselves at MTC park and need 7 points or 2 huge victories 

• 3 weeks later...

Our season ultimately ended in disappointment as the league table doesn't lie. However, this has been the most enjoyable campaign that I can recall for quite some time thanks to the quality of some of the football we have played.  Ultimately we drew too many games but it is the first Lanark team who also won points when not playing so well, getting a late equaliser or winner here and there. We even overcame our penalty hoodoo. 

Some  lovely football played by some good young players such as Ronan Kearney. We were bolstered after a poor start to our season by the signing of David O'Donnell and Gareth Halford from Newmains.  Gareth is the best keeper that I can recall at Lanark. 

Thanks then to the players, the management and everyone involved on our committee, without whom there would be no club. We still have one of the best pitches around - well done Geordie!

We are looking forward to next season already and hope that the club will keep the flow of information going about who's staying, who's going and who is signing.

C'Mon The Yowes!

Awaiting confirmation that at least 4 key players from last season have signed for teams in higher leagues.  A pity but almost inevitable.

No news of any signings yet.

12 hours ago, bc57 said:

Awaiting confirmation that at least 4 key players from last season have signed for teams in higher leagues.  A pity but almost inevitable.

No news of any signings yet.

Lawson has signed with Cambuslang I know that much.

Archived