Ante Post Betting - 2016/2017

Only had a quick look for a topic on the new season but couldn't see one apologies if I'm just being a tool.

Has anyone taken a look at antepost markets for the new season just yet?

I've not decided what to stick on yet, but I really like the look of what Gateshead are doing. Plenty of good signings for that level, a manager who is well respected and new owners finally putting their stamp on things. They're still available at 20/1 with most bookies and I think I'll have a dabble.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Expecting Newcastle to have a similar campaign to their last in the Championship especially with Rafa staying. Could persuade some of their better players to stay aswell.

The premier league will be a free for all with Chelsea City and Utd having new managers and Klopp having his first full summer at Anfield. Of course we already know of its unpredictable nature with last seasons league. Can't imagine much will separate Chelsea/Manchester clubs in the betting. Arsenal will probably finish 4th and Burnley will probably get relegated.

As impressive as some of Sevcos signings have been they have some minters too therefore I can't see them challenging just yet. Aberdeen without Celtic is a good possibility IMO for the 3rd(?) year running and will be a better price than previous seasons.

My own team Clyde is pretty much the same story as this time last year. Good signings on paper and important players retained but with the jury still out on Barry Fergusons managerial ability the title might be questionable again. On business so far I reckon Arbroath are the early front runners and can get about 5/1 I think.

As it is I'd avoid Arbroath if betting on League Two. Some good signings but little depth and not addressed their major issue of defence yet.

Michael Dunlop is a good signing but he's made of toast.

I'd probably go with Clyde at the minute. I'm a Barry doubter but EF made a similar level of signing last season with a manager who the jury was still out on and they clicked eventually. My real advice would be to wait longer though.

League Winners

Scottish Championship

Falkirk @7/1 (e/w 1/3 1,2)

Scottish League One

Airdrie @11/2 (e/w 1/5 1,2,3)

Scottish League Two

Arbroath @4/1 (e/w 1/5 1,2,3)

English Premier League

Manchester United @9/2 (e/w 1/3 1,2)

English Championship

Brighton @14/1 (e/w 1/4 1,2,3)

Each way Lucky 31 on that.

• 2 weeks later...

McBookie have released their top scorer odds so taking a go at a couple of those e/w, 1/4 the odds for a top 3 finish.

Bob McHugh is likely to start the season as our first choice striker and has a full pre-season under his belt after some injury problems last season. Negatives against him are the sheer number of options we have up front plus that injury record. He's somehow 40/1 though which is craziness. He got double figures in all competitions despite primarily coming off the bench.

In League One I've taken Iain Russell, he's easily capable of playing a level above and scored a hattrick in pre-season over the weekend. 9/1 looks really good to me with him fifth favourite in the betting.

Had a ladbrokes free bet that needed using up on football. Had first look at epl prices as haven't kept up with other leagues, was shocked to see spurs at 7/1, double figures on Betfair. I opted for a speculative 20/1 Southampton relegation.

Not even had a chance to look at the League prices yet but Marshmallo's shout for Bob McHugh looks really good and one I will probably steal. Iain russell another good shout too. With Airdrie going full time they really ought to be pushing hard for a playoff spot at least. I believe the value on Alloa is long gone and perperhaps one to be rued.

But I really like the look of Betfred's price on Dundee to win Group A in the League Cup. 1.73 (8/11) when I think it should be much closer to the 1.4 (2/5) on offer from bet365 and McBookie. Won't have to wait too long for it to play out either :) 

Agree with that Dundee shout: I've combined it with Kilmarnock at 10/11 in Group H. Morton currently possess a much weaker squad than last season's midtable finish due to the loan system not getting going yet and there is no obvious threat from the three part-time sides. Kilmarnock play us at Rugby Park next Saturday and I'd expect that to wrap things up for them. 

16 minutes ago, vikingTON said:

Agree with that Dundee shout: I've combined it with Kilmarnock at 10/11 in Group H. Morton currently possess a much weaker squad than last season's midtable finish due to the loan system not getting going yet and there is no obvious threat from the three part-time sides. Kilmarnock play us at Rugby Park next Saturday and I'd expect that to wrap things up for them. 

Not convinced by Kilmarnock's wheeling and dealing yet though. Heard a few rumours too that didn't augur well but they are just that, rumours, so I am paying no attention. 

Sorry Jagfox. It was at least 3rd/4th hand so I am not getting into spreading them . Like I say, I am paying little heed. Honestly, it's tittle tattle and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. Even if they are true it probably wouldn't surprise anyone anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Fitba Tips said:

Sorry Jagfox. It was at least 3rd/4th hand so I am not getting into spreading them . Like I say, I am paying little heed. Honestly, it's tittle tattle and I probably shouldn't have even mentioned it. Even if they are true it probably wouldn't surprise anyone anyway. 

Aye, there's no doubting Lee Clark is a fat Geordie roaster :P

• 2 weeks later...

Archived