IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

It's clear that the purpose of the competition as set up now is to minimise the amount of dross reaching the latter stages. Giving them a seeded run against non-league sides doesn't achieve that aim at all. Starting a straight knock-out round of 64 would entail the foreign guest entrants playing at least one midweek tie or sacrificing several Saturdays of the league campaign for the tournament; a fast way to remove the participation of sides from Wales and TFS but achieving nothing else. You could certainly kiss goodbye to a credible TV deal for a merely enlarged version of the old tournament. 

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tbh if Inverness were a championship side right now id be up for a potential away trip to Wales or NI.

Claiming you'd rather your side lost to Inverness under 20s is frankly bizarre behaviour.

Why?

The competition is a total farce. Id rather we weren't even participating in the 1st place. A Tuesday night 6 hour round trip for PT players to play an under 20s team in a competition nobody really cares about anyway? I would rather go out than potentially face another one.

I really like the idea of the Wales/NI sides actually.  Potentially some nice away trips. 

Under 20's thing is a joke, but hopefully the performance of these sides will reflect that. 

As KickerConspiracy predicted when the midweek LL game between East Stirlingshire v Stirling University was postponed: Stirling Uni twitter reports their tie away to Rangers 'B' will indeed be a week after R1, on Wednesday 10th August - presumably due to Rangers U20s playing a friendly series in South Africa on R1 midweek.

It also confirms the tie will not be at Ibrox but at Forthbank... in Stirling! No longer the home of Stirling Uni, though; they moved to Falkirk.

Presumably no-one expects Stirling Albion to progress from their LC group.

In bizarre stakes this seems to be the cup that keeps on giving...

49 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As KickerConspiracy predicted when the midweek LL game between East Stirlingshire v Stirling University was postponed: Stirling Uni twitter reports their tie away to Rangers 'B' will indeed be a week after R1, on Wednesday 10th August - presumably due to Rangers U20s playing a friendly series in South Africa on R1 midweek.

It also confirms the tie will not be at Ibrox but at Forthbank... in Stirling! No longer the home of Stirling Uni, though; they moved to Falkirk.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Rangers are going to be using Fortbank for their home DL games so that will just be their normal ground for cup tie. I suppose its almost as bad as BSC playing their home LL games in Alloa. Two Glasgow sides playing at home in Stirlingshire.

On 30/06/2016 at 07:26, Salvo Montalbano said:

By McDiarmid Park, I assume they mean the AstroTurf next to the Main Stand.

Doubt it, considering its just an Astro pitch surrounded by mesh fences, you could watch games without leaving your car. The U20s play all their games in the actual stadium.

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

I'm sure I read somewhere that Rangers are going to be using Fortbank for their home DL games so that will just be their normal ground for cup tie. I suppose its almost as bad as BSC playing their home LL games in Alloa. Two Glasgow sides playing at home in Stirlingshire.

I think the whole business of 'B' teams being able to play games at other grounds is one of the issues with the whole idea. This is not the Development League, nor the Scottish Youth Cup or a kick-about. It is a first-class competition involving clubs right up to tier 2 (and tier 1 in Northern Ireland + Wales).

Incidentally, still nothing announced for Motherwell 'B' v Edinburgh City or Celtic 'B' v Annan.

Just now, HibeeJibee said:

I think the whole business of 'B' teams being able to play games at other grounds is one of the issues with this whole idea This is not the Development League, nor the Scottish Youth Cup or a kick-about. It is a first-class competition involving clubs right up to tier 2 (and tier 1 in Northern Ireland + Wales). If they'd got Stirling Albion would it have been at Forthbank?

Not disagreeing with you HJ don't think under 20 sides should be in the cup full stop. Since we're stuck with them and most don't want to play in their real grounds the SPFL probably should have done the draw so that the under 20 sides were away from home.

22 hours ago, Worktheshaft said:

Tbh if Inverness were a championship side right now id be up for a potential away trip to Wales or NI.

Claiming you'd rather your side lost to Inverness under 20s is frankly bizarre behaviour.

This, we seemingly took over 100-200 fans over to our friendly against Glentoran the other week, imagine we'd get similar or higher for a Cup game. Only cost about £100.

Guest The Phoenix
2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Why would Rangers playing at Forthbank on Wednesday 10 August equate to no one expecting SAFC to progress from their LC Group? 

2 minutes ago, The Phoenix said:

Why would Rangers playing at Forthbank on Wednesday 10 August equate to no one expecting SAFC to progress from their LC Group? 

As thats the date for the second round of ties. Why schedule a game for a ground which might not be available that night?

Guest The Phoenix
Just now, RandomGuy. said:

As thats the date for the second round of ties. Why schedule a game for a ground which might not be available that night?

Sod it, if we get through we'll just play on the 9th - as already planned. 

Just now, The Phoenix said:

Sod it, if we get through we'll just play on the 9th - as already planned. 

Can your pitch cope with two, potentially 120 minute, games in two consecutive days?

Guest The Phoenix
5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Can your pitch cope with two, potentially 120 minute, games in two consecutive days?

Yes.

PS Thanks for your concern / attempt to deflect your stupidity.

Archived