IRN-BRU Cup First Round Draw

Jaggy Snake

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding QP v Killie U20 - I can only hope that somebody sees sense before Tuesday. £5 adult, £1 concession, plus accompanied kids free would have been the sensible way to go. Instead it's full price for adults, concession prices trebled and no parent / child gate. Normally an adult with 2 kids would pay £14. Now they're expected to pay £24 - to watch a game v an under-20 team. An adult with 3 kids is expected to pay £30 instead of £15. That'll get the crowds rolling along to Hampden.

You have to wonder what planet some people are living on. It looks like Killie actually want to play in a completely empty stadium next week.

in a first-class cup in the first place; in what circumstances them playing games miles or tens of miles from their grounds; etc. etc.

It happens often in the qualifying rounds of the two major European tournaments. The West Ham tie tonight is an example.

I really dont see what all the anger is about this tournament. Isn't there something similar happening in England this season with premier league club's U21s included.

Its new...give it a chance...im sure all the kids in the u20s teams will be buzzing about the prospect of taking part in this.

How often have we stood on the sidelines of an u20s game and thought ourselves that boy can play but im not sure if he is ready for the step up to the first team. Maybe this will give a few supporters and coaches an indication if a kid is or not.

And I also don't see a problem with the Irish or Welsh teams being included. In fact, I think it adds to the competition.

Here is a prediction, there will not be an U20 team reach the third round.

I say lets give it a try. ..I hope it is a success.

Looks like England have went down a similar route with their version of this cup, although without the Welsh and Irish teams.  Although 6 premiership teams have opted out of it and been replaced with Championship U21s

Yes the teams who have opted out are those who have players that are likely to be involved in under age internationals. My understanding that the fixtures for the English version fall on similar dates to those internationals.

It's a pity Queen's Park didn't agree to pay the necessary premium usually required to see a top class side like our U20s.  £12 to see some of the Stranraer and Annan Athletic stars of the future seems like a bargain to me.

3 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

Motherwell U20s v Edinburgh City now being played at Falkirk Stadium on Tuesday.

Bit of a farce this whole thing.

Given that the SPFL have to agree to all these ground switches it's almost as if they don't care if anyone actually turns up to watch the matches

Hopefully the SPFL take on board all the nonsense that the involvement of the under 20s has generated and discard them from next year's competition.  It also gives you a flavour of what the much talked about involvement of these sides in the SPFL league set up would be like.  If the bigger SPFL sides do actually have aspirations to enter "B" teams in the main league set-up, they've surely shot themselves in the foot with all this carry on.  Which is excellent.

Motherwell U20s v Edinburgh City now being played at Falkirk Stadium on Tuesday.

Bit of a farce this whole thing.

A few hours later...

Venue change | @MotherwellFC Colts v @EdinburghCityFC in the #IRNBRUCUP will now be played at Fir Park on Tuesday August 2, kick-off 7.45pm

:lol:

Utterly ridiculous.

However - in fairness, the whole shambles surrounding this First Round... the ties being played miles from their actual homes at all manner of grounds; one tie being delayed by a week, postponing a league game in the process, apparently so one of the participants can play a youth friendly; certain of the entry prices; and now a tie twice moving venues at 4 days notice... highlights the whole issue with including 'B' teams.

This sort of things happens all the time in the Development League because hardly anyone watches and the real purpose is to give players game time. That's why you don't include 'B' teams in first-class competitions, because they need things like spectators, income, and available grounds to play at, on available dates to play on.

I can say with reasonable confidence that there are amateur leagues within this country which would be the scenes of uproar, if clubs were going around moving grounds (twice) a couple of days before the match, playing 30 miles away from their home ground or requiring their opponents to wait a week as they were fulfilling a youth friendly. Yet apparently this is acceptable in a competition embracing the upper echelons of 3 nations and run by the self-titled "Scottish Professional Football League".

EDIT: If there is one defence to the Airdrie no Falkirk no wait Motherwell shambles, the crowd will probably be bigger than at Airdrie (or certainly Falkirk).

Undoubtedly the right decision to play the game at Fir Park but why not just play it there in the first place?

If the SPFL were so desperate to introduce the 'colt teams' into the competition it should have been on the understanding that they would be play on the scheduled dates and at their registered ground. In other words, treated as if it was their first team.

Treating 'senior' matches as if they're Development League or Youth Cup ties is shite from all involved.

I see that Celtic 'B' v Annan - at Greenock - has been selected for live TV coverage, on Premier Sports :lol:.

Are viewing figures released for that channel? Could be the lowest ever for a Scottish competitive game? Imagine Celtic pubs may stick it on and ultimate die-hards at home.

No free-to-air TV coverage for the cup in Northern Ireland, btw, just Scotland/Wales.

Archived