Champions League 2016/17

lichtie23

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, maplewell said:

Craig Thomson ruined that game tbf, never a penalty

Seen it earlier. Looked like a foul on the defender by the forward, who then tripped over the defender he'd just shoved to the ground. Penalty and red card given.

To be fair, Thompson did do well in his last game, allowing a goal to stand for Atletico Madrid that the linesman had initially flagged for - they spoke and it was clear that he'd spotted the flick on was by a defender and not the attacker then they checked that the player wasn't offside when the first ball went in. You could look at a lot of referees and dig up shocking performances (and Scottish refs are amongst the worst, partly as a result of forcing many of them to retire too young and partly by fast-tracking some refs that should have been working their way up through the Juniors and underage games then the lower leagues etc) but to say he's always disastrous is a bit harsh. 

6 minutes ago, RosspCfc said:

Have CSKA always been colloquially called 'Sisska'? Until this year I'd over ever heard of them as the letters said separately

It was always just CSKA until recently but some have decided to go with Siska/Seska because that's how they pronounce it in Moscow apparently. That's still Moscow, not Moskva of course. It leads to ridiculous situations like tonight where they were calling them Siska/Seska in the studio and CSKA at the actual game after the hand over.

I can see their point, in a way. My club being widely known for a name that isn't actually their name would annoy me as well.

Same story with Athletic Club (not Bilbao), but at least they didn't have a Twitter meltdown over it.

Archived