Gordon Strachan

Elixir

1 minute ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Moyes you do know exactly what you'll get tbf.   Hard working,  organised,  good team spirit,  harder to score goals against.   We could do a lot worse. 

We could definitely do worse.  You know what you're getting tactically, but he's not really put that into practice in his last few roles.  Sunderland are an absolute shambles, and on key stats like interceptions, tackles and distance covered, they're way, way down on average.  That's not something you would expect from a David Moyes side.

So what would we get in a situation where Moyes can't bring in new players to fit a particular system?  Would he succeed or fail?  That's where the unknown is, whether he can implement what you say.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He actually did okay at man utd,  if he got the money van gaal andmorinho got hhe'dpprobably still be there now.  Sciedad was a hard job ad he did okay not terribly,  Sunderland poisoned chalice thereIis a malaise at tat club he will probably improve them gradually butmay not get the time .   Would prefer a foreign coach personally but out of the Scottish oes available he is easily the best.  Probably be mcinnes though. 

26 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Moyes is an imbecile. Why people are desperate for a man that's failed at his past two jobs and is currently stinking the place out at his current one, f**k only knows. 

Likewise Neil. The man had one and a half very good seasons at Hamilton, along with a further good half season at Norwich. The past year and a half since that has been slowly downhill. Maybe in future but just now, nowhere near ready for the Scotland job.

Yeah Moyes would feel like a 'meh' appointment. Big name, but lacking sparkle in terms of achievements and style of play.

As for Neil, I'd rather have him in the Scotland job now when he's got a bit of fire in him and full of ideas, as opposed to when he's had that all beaten out of him in twenty years time.

Aye, given the SFAs reluctance to look outside Scotland I can see it being Moyes if/when he gets sacked by Sunderland. On reflection, calling the guy an imbecile in my first post is a bit harsh, but I see nothing in his past three jobs that points towards him being the right man.

Unless the SFA branches out or pigs fly and Sir Alex comes out of retirement, it really does look like the shortlist will be: Moyes/Neil/Lambert/McInnes/McLeish.

Depressing times 

Said before i would sack Strachan and get paco jemez and an interpreter.   He would take it too, even just till the end of this campaign see how it goes,  nothing to lose. 

In his last 150 league games as a manager his teams have conceded 302 goals. That's McNamara-esque.

Whilst managing wee teams in la liga,  everything in context.  He's a top class coach who is good with technical players and at making a good team out of not great players.  Ancelotti visited training when jemez was in charge at rayo vallecano as he was that impressed watching them he wanted to watch them train to, see what they did.   Top coach, left field choice the sfa would never make but definitely worth a cracking. 

Rayo vallecano use to sign 16 or 17 players on loan every year he still kept them up for a few years whilst playing magnificent football. 

So he's a great coach with some innovative techniques...how exactly does that benefit a role where you get far, far less time with the players?  

If we have someone who runs a great coaching session but still concedes on average two goals a game, I'd find it pretty hard to get excited about our chances.

2 goals a game with a team playing in the best league in the world with a squad almost entirely made up of loan eyes where their record signing ever was about 300grand.  How do you think mcinnes would do in the same circumstances?   All the more reason to get a great coach if their time with the squad is limited

Just now, Peppino Impastato said:

2 goals a game with a team playing in the best league in the world with a squad almost entirely made up of loan eyes where their record signing ever was about 300grand.  How do you think mcinnes would do in the same circumstances?   All the more reason to get a great coach if their time with the squad is limited

Aye, because Scotland are nowhere near comparable to that situation.

I'd rather have a tactician than a coach.  Someone who can do both would be great, but I know which side of things I'd put more emphasis on.

6 hours ago, forameus said:

Aye, because Scotland are nowhere near comparable to that situation.

I'd rather have a tactician than a coach.  Someone who can do both would be great, but I know which side of things I'd put more emphasis on.

Agreed. It had to happen eventually. 

I'd arguably say that the emphasis on coaching, ala' Largs Mafioso, and its' sought-after badges among the elite, has endorsed it throughout the whole Scottish game to the point the game is almost entirely played here 'in theory'. I'm also pretty sure that van Gaal and Lippi failed technical points in the SFA's manual because theirs 'didn't relate to real football scenarios'. 

Bielsa. 

10 hours ago, Officer Barbrady said:

Agreed. It had to happen eventually. 

I'd arguably say that the emphasis on coaching, ala' Largs Mafioso, and its' sought-after badges among the elite, has endorsed it throughout the whole Scottish game to the point the game is almost entirely played here 'in theory'. I'm also pretty sure that van Gaal and Lippi failed technical points in the SFA's manual because theirs 'didn't relate to real football scenarios'. 

Bielsa. 

It would certainly be an interesting choice.  Interesting in the way that it could go really well, or be an absolutely explosion of ridiculousness.  Entertaining though.  

Above all else we need someone who can look at what we have, put them into a system that will play to their strengths, and win games.  I don't really care if he can't coach at all - he can hire in assistants to do that.  We won't do any of that though.  The odds list for the next manager is a truly depressing sight.

Archived