Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Off topic but to imply as has been done above that the name of the city in Ulster is conclusively Derry, and conclusively not Londonderry, is both untrue and a gross oversimplification of the complex situation... the district council has taken the title "Derry & Strabane", but this has no more rendered the title "Derry" for all definitions and legal purposes than the name of the county of "Dunbartonshire" did for the burgh or parish of Dumbarton. To date legal cases have in fact upheld the official title Londonderry, for city and county... plus it is referred to as either, both interchangeably, or both together (usually as "Derry-Londonderry"), by a whole variety of institutions and organisations. It would be incorrect to say that it - whatever "it" means - is definitely Derry or Londonderry.

In any case do most of us go round talking about "Czechia", "Republic of Cabo Verde", "Lisboa", "Kolkata" and "Nan Eilean-Siar" - or do lots of us say "Czech Republic", "Cape Verde Islands, "Lisbon", "Calcutta" and "the Western Isles"? It can be a matter of taste or translation regardless of official definitions.

Has anyone asked Gordon Strachan for his views on the tricky Derry/Londonderry issue?

Is anyone starting to warm to WGS again?

He's shown resilience and come back from what looked like an obvious case for a sacking.

If he manages to get us into the play-off place I'll start warming to him again. If he gets us through a play-off and on a plane to Russia then he can do no wrong and will be firmly back in the good books.

2 hours ago, Moo said:

I’m warming more to Brendan Rodgers tbh as a bigger factor in our turn around. Getting Brown fit again, raising the level of Griffiths/Armstrong’s performance and developing Tierney has certainly provided far more options in the squad. For me Strachan is just the same as the last campaign.

3 hours ago, Moo said:

Nope.

Still a flippant wee tool.

The latest run has just established what might have been achieved had we treated must-win fixtures like Lithuania at home, as must-win fixtures.

10 minutes ago, Blootoon87 said:

You can't slate him when things go wrong then give him no credit when we're doing well. Harsh c***s.

Yes you can.

In fact, if you think we should have been doing better all along, it's more consistent to actually go easy on the praise when it stops being quite as disastrous.

I’m certainly thinking Strachan is doing a better job than this time last year. The squad is in good spirits and the defence has been greatly improved by bringing in Tierney and Robertson to aid the back two. He’s freshened up the squad and has the team on the cusp of a second place finish. I’ve even enjoyed some of our performances and winning definitely makes me feel more warmth towards the National Team. Win this afternoon and I’d be more than happy to give him the playoffs then once the dust settles look at renewing his contract. Lose tonight and I’ll probably not be too bothered if his contract isn’t renewed. 

I find it very hard to listen to Strachan but love his utter contempt of the Scottish media plus hated the way he set up his Celtic teams but loved the results he got.
His style of management suits the national team but his stubbornness stops him being progressive when he picks his squads.

The danger is that if Scotland get to Russia the TA will suck his ginger boaby again and the SFA will throw a juicy two year contract at him to take us to the next Euros and we will be back to the same old crap under a pig headed manager who makes continous f**k ups.

^^^ The Guy is drunk

13 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd String said:

The danger is that if Scotland get to Russia the TA will suck his ginger boaby again and the SFA will throw a juicy two year contract at him to take us to the next Euros and we will be back to the same old crap under a pig headed manager who makes continous f**k ups.

I would suggest that the cuntflaps at the SFA will give him a new contract irrespective of what happens.

Archived