Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think his overtly cautious approach actually exposes our defence more. Course we can't go gung ho but our strengths lie with the mobility of guys like burke Fraserburgh Griffiths etc. If our defence is crap sitting back and allowing sides plenty of time and space to open it up isn't going to help. Anyway at least we had a bit of hope yesterday albeit briefly. Probably our best moment post faddy goal in Paris (Croatia maybe but they were almost dead rubbers)

Guest DAVIDB69
I think his overtly cautious approach actually exposes our defence more. Course we can't go gung ho but our strengths lie with the mobility of guys like burke Fraserburgh Griffiths etc. If our defence is crap sitting back and allowing sides plenty of time and space to open it up isn't going to help. Anyway at least we had a bit of hope yesterday albeit briefly. Probably our best moment post faddy goal in Paris (Croatia maybe but they were almost dead rubbers)

I think strachan is finally seeing the defensive midfield set up doesn't work but unfortunately its all too late as always

I think strachan is finally seeing the defensive midfield set up doesn't work but unfortunately its all too late as always

Precisely why the sfa should use rest of the campaign finding a replacement so we aren't doing it 2 weeks before a vital game next campaign n hiring mckay or moyes in a panic

Keeping Strachan on for the rest of this campaign seems the way to go now. We have 4 winnable games left, and while I don't think we will win them all (i predict a draw in Slovenia and a draw at home to Slovakia), keeping Strachan at least lets us capitalise on this small and welcome burst of momentum.

Makes you wonder what went so wrong with the Lithuania and Slovakia games last year.

7 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Keeping Strachan on for the rest of this campaign seems the way to go now. We have 4 winnable games left, and while I don't think we will win them all (i predict a draw in Slovenia and a draw at home to Slovakia), keeping Strachan at least lets us capitalise on this small and welcome burst of momentum.

Makes you wonder what went so wrong with the Lithuania and Slovakia games last year.

Keep him until we drop points.

Once we're officially gone, we should try to get in a replacement that can use the remaining games to get ready for the next campaign.

Guest DAVIDB69

I suppose 20 points was the target for second before this started , can still be done although extremely unlikely.

We also traditionally slip up in Eastern Europe at the start of September at the end of summer when it's still quite warm , which is where we are off to next of course.

What realistically will probably happen is loads more points will be dropped and England will win the group with really low points

Catch 22 really. We couldn't have kept that hung ho pressing approach up for 90 minutes. We went toe to toe with England when we could and went in to a pretty compact set up when required.

Wouldn't feel comfortable getting rid of a manager that the players are clearly still playing for.

Catch 22 really. We couldn't have kept that hung ho pressing approach up for 90 minutes. We went toe to toe with England when we could and went in to a pretty compact set up when required.

Wouldn't feel comfortable getting rid of a manager that the players are clearly still playing for.

We can't catch 22 now I'm afraid (the last minute equaliser made sure of that).

Not sure Strachan can get much credit for Scottish players being motivated to play England. The displays v Lithuania n Slovakia did not reek of guys willing to run through brickwalls for a mgr whose selections have often been inconsistent bordering on bizarre. Two failed campaigns is plenty. There's no gain in jettisoning him now but a proper strategy for replacing him should be the priority for the sfa. Sadly I suspect the choices will be retain Strachan or replace with either mckay or moyes.

I know I'll get slated for this but the actual performance in the first half against Slovakia was actually pretty good. We cut right through them on numerous occasions but then fucked it up (quite often snodgrass).

They just scored at perfect times due to defensive frailties. We didn't really respond well when two down but up to that point we were the better team in that match.

I know I'll get slated for this but the actual performance in the first half against Slovakia was actually pretty good. We cut right through them on numerous occasions but then fucked it up (quite often snodgrass).

They just scored at perfect times due to defensive frailties. We didn't really respond well when two down but up to that point we were the better team in that match.

Got to disagree on Slovakia tbh. They were low on confidence n hadn't scored in 4 odd games. We were passive to the point of timid and took a fully deserved scudding. It's all academic anyway.....the sfa never plan ahead. They will wait until the next campaign has been ruined before bringing in the cheapest option...and on it will go.

And as for Strachan, I applaud him for showing guts by changing the formation.

Playing three at the back is our past, but it should be our future. If there ever comes a day when we have two good central defenders, then yes, think about a flat back four, but I don't see that happening. If the manager can go forward with this formation, tweaking it here and there, then I'm sure we'll qualify for something very soon.

However, if we revert to the four at the back, it's about 20 years of suffering, I'm afraid.

11 minutes ago, SlayerX said:

And as for Strachan, I applaud him for showing guts by changing the formation.

Playing three at the back is our past, but it should be our future. If there ever comes a day when we have two good central defenders, then yes, think about a flat back four, but I don't see that happening. If the manager can go forward with this formation, tweaking it here and there, then I'm sure we'll qualify for something very soon.

However, if we revert to the four at the back, it's about 20 years of suffering, I'm afraid.

yes, 4 at the back is the reason we haven't qualified for a major tournament and not the fact we have had some terrible players. another moronic post from you

4 minutes ago, Hibeesbounce75 said:

yes, 4 at the back is the reason we haven't qualified for a major tournament and not the fact we have had some terrible players. another moronic post from you

Yes, football is 100% about the standard of the players and nothing to do with organisation, formations, tactics. Nah. All you do is say to the players "Go out there and play". And golly, they always win. That's the same thing the Iceland manager done when they beat England.

Brilliant footballing philosophy you have there.

Insulting me? Have you ever heard the saying "Pick your battles"? How about "Once you insult someone during an argument, you'd already lost"? No? Well, you have now.

Our defenders, once pressed, panic and are like bambi on ice.

They need protection, and with an added central defender, they get that protection. Plus holes are naturally filled.

It's not rocket science. I would say the same about our attack. I would like to see Martin and Griffiths being paired.

1 hour ago, dogmc said:

Not sure Strachan can get much credit for Scottish players being motivated to play England. The displays v Lithuania n Slovakia did not reek of guys willing to run through brickwalls for a mgr whose selections have often been inconsistent bordering on bizarre. 

Agreed.

I can't go along with the reading that sees yesterday as evidence of players who love their manager and are desperate to play for him out of personal loyalty.

The occasion was going to provide plenty of motivation by itself.  That's before reflecting on how good or otherwise the performance actually was.

Archived