Gordon Strachan

Elixir

It can't be beyond the genetically superior intelligence of Scots (inventors of TV's, phones, etc) to manufacture footwear that boosts the height of our players? A nice pair of pink elevator shoes to match the strip would do! Adds 3-5 inches and increases confidence!

height_increasing_shoes_h72c11k193d_1_.jpg

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, harry94 said:

Has there been any indication anywhere about when we'll know if he'll be staying on?

STV saying that the SFA will review his future at a meeting next week but BBC saying that "SFA are in no rush to make decision"

19 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

This coming week dozens of friendlies will start being fixed-up for November involving qualified or eliminated countries.

Strachan either has to decide ASAP, or SFA need to arrange games regardless of who'll be in charge.

Is this really simply Strachan's decision again?

Seriously, if so this is a quite mental state of affairs.  I thought football management was meant to be precarious.  Our guy must have the most secure gig in the world game.

Either way, I'm not sure rewarding 2 failed campaigns with a new contract is the way to go. Even if we do stick with him, how many goes should we give a manager before we give up on him and get someone else?

His employers are responsible for the state of the game in Scotland. Maybe he should have a word with them.

Indeed. The options out there are fairly uninspiring but how many failed campaigns are required before the SFA decide enough is enough? Three? Four? Five?

Give someone a chance to manage the international side to mediocrity.

STV saying that the SFA will review his future at a meeting next week but BBC saying that "SFA are in no rush to make decision"

Vintage SFA. They'll take months to make a decision about when to make a decision.

They may well not get him but Michael O'Neill absolutely has to be sounded out about his interest. Only the other day his quotes suggested it wasn't a given he would be keen on returning to club management. It would also be interesting to get his comments on the genetic differences between us Scots and our near neighbours across the water.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

You might wait a while.

At last census:

* 92.9% of the population was Scottish/British/Irish/etc.
* 1.2% were Polish
* 1.9% were Other (White)

* 2.7% were Asian
* 1.3% were African, Caribbean, Black, Mixed or Other Ethnic

Officials reported a small ginger man, seen weeping on the steps of General Register House.

All we have to do is to get sporting ladies from the tallest nations in Europe such as the Netherlands:

netherlands-volleyball-team.jpg.eacc8911735ed7a456982b190099fd83.jpg

and Denmark (3rd tallest people in Europe)

danes.jpg.bf80e5d70d820fe9f3ef046ff31d4028.jpg

and introduce them to some tall Scots and let nature take it's course. I am 6 foot and am happy to take this task on for the good of the nation to produce a tall football team in 20-25 years time...

Northern Ireland and Eire have both reached the playoffs, finishing ahead of Wales + Austria and Czech Rep + Norway respectively.

Then again the island of Ireland is known worldwide by its stereotype as being home to a people of great height.

His comments genuinely come across like either a piss take or the ramblings of a moron/senile old man (delete when/if appropriate)

He's an utter joke figure now, if he wasn't near it enough already. Surely to f**k he can't get another contract

See aw this genetics pish strachan has come out wi should be a sackabke offence anyway! Iv never heard so much shite in all my life, does he honestly think supporters are stupid enough to belief that nonsense! All that proves is he was too fuckin worried about how slovenia play the game instead of focusing what we can do. His shit scared mentality of a couple of lumps playing for slovenia! Play our own game eh, we ken were pretty shite at defending high balls and set pieces, so limit that by going on the front foot for fucks sake, take the game to them like weve done for the past 5 games previously! U never see spain play a taller side like germany or france n think aw shit we better sit back here put a couple of extra tall boys in here sit back get the tin hats on n take a pummeling! They play the way that gives them the best chance of a win, their natural game! N im no saying were spain, but slovenia arny fuckin germany either! We had nothing to be afraid of from a team we had already beaten, we played them of the park at hampden! and that performance those tactics and that line up had fear written all over it. He should be sacked now.

8 hours ago, paul-r-cfc said:

His comments genuinely come across like either a piss take or the ramblings of a moron/senile old man (delete when/if appropriate)

He's an utter joke figure now, if he wasn't near it enough already. Surely to f**k he can't get another contract

Probably the former.  Past couple of months he's seemed to leave a bit of the more acerbic tone behind, but it's well and truly back now.  Could go one of two ways - either he thinks "f**k this" and walks, or he starts to get the seige mentality again, thinking that he'd love to prove everyone wrong.

Probably the former.  Past couple of months he's seemed to leave a bit of the more acerbic tone behind, but it's well and truly back now.  Could go one of two ways - either he thinks "f**k this" and walks, or he starts to get the seige mentality again, thinking that he'd love to prove everyone wrong.

How many goes at qualification is he going to need to prove everyone wrong?

1 minute ago, Scary Bear said:

How many goes at qualification is he going to need to prove everyone wrong?

As many as it takes!

But seriously, until either the SFA decide they need to make a change, or he decides he's had enough.  Not sure which one has a longer shelf-life at this stage.  

I'm happy for them to take their time over this, as given we're unlikely to be playing in November anyway, they absolutely have to make the correct decision here.  The next 2 years is going to be stupidly crucial for us.  If we stumble and either keep him and he's shite, or appoint someone who is just as bad or worse, then f**k the Euros campaign, we're going to be in deep trouble.

As many as it takes!
But seriously, until either the SFA decide they need to make a change, or he decides he's had enough.  Not sure which one has a longer shelf-life at this stage.  
I'm happy for them to take their time over this, as given we're unlikely to be playing in November anyway, they absolutely have to make the correct decision here.  The next 2 years is going to be stupidly crucial for us.  If we stumble and either keep him and he's shite, or appoint someone who is just as bad or worse, then f**k the Euros campaign, we're going to be in deep trouble.

The likeliest outcome is for the SFA to make the wrong decision.

Deep trouble? Hardly. It would just be the new norm of not qualifying.

The Euros seem a lot easier to qualify for, so I won't get that worked up if Strachan is still in charge. However, I don't like his style of management. I feel he is typically Scottish in being too cautious and when he does try to take a gamble, it still reeks of 'cautious' and he makes an arse of it. The only positive I can put forward for him is the players seem to like him. However, that could just be the way the media portray it.

11 hours ago, Caley Shaun said:

Other sources saying it'll be decided before the end of this week. The sooner the better.

10 hours ago, tamthebam said:

All we have to do is to get sporting ladies from the tallest nations in Europe such as the Netherlands:

netherlands-volleyball-team.jpg.eacc8911735ed7a456982b190099fd83.jpg

and Denmark (3rd tallest people in Europe)

danes.jpg.bf80e5d70d820fe9f3ef046ff31d4028.jpg

and introduce them to some tall Scots and let nature take it's course. I am 6 foot and am happy to take this task on for the good of the nation to produce a tall football team in 20-25 years time...

A martyr for the cause.

Just now, Scary Bear said:

The likeliest outcome is for the SFA to make the wrong decision.

Deep trouble? Hardly. It would just be the new norm of not qualifying.

The Euros seem a lot easier to qualify for, so I won't get that worked up if Strachan is still in charge. However, I don't like his style of management. I feel he is typically Scottish in being too cautious and when he does try to take a gamble, it still reeks of 'cautious' and he makes an arse of it. The only positive I can put forward for him is the players seem to like him. However, that could just be the way the media portray it.

We have a Nations League campaign coming up that will determine our seeding for the European Qualifying.  If we don't take it seriously - which I worry we won't - then we'll be pot 4 for the Euros.  If we then do our usual and start slowly, eventually leaving it too late and don't qualify for another 24 team Euros, then we're likely going to be pot 4 or worse for the World Cup.  That could start us on a spiral that would take years to get out of.

It's still such an important few years.  We now have two chances to qualify, and without a markedly improved performance, we can already forget about being in the running for World Cup 2022 qualifying.  Not qualifying for 2016 was bad, but missing out on 2020, which is still 24 teams and now has two routes, would be much, much worse.

To be fair, Craig Brown was exactly the same and he had us qualifying. He was too loyal. When he deviated from typical formation as a 'gamble' it didn't always go well. He often overlooked in form players and then selected them a few months later when then were no longer on form.

Maybe Strachan will come good. Stranger things have happened.

We have a Nations League campaign coming up that will determine our seeding for the European Qualifying.  If we don't take it seriously - which I worry we won't - then we'll be pot 4 for the Euros.  If we then do our usual and start slowly, eventually leaving it too late and don't qualify for another 24 team Euros, then we're likely going to be pot 4 or worse for the World Cup.  That could start us on a spiral that would take years to get out of.
It's still such an important few years.  We now have two chances to qualify, and without a markedly improved performance, we can already forget about being in the running for World Cup 2022 qualifying.  Not qualifying for 2016 was bad, but missing out on 2020, which is still 24 teams and now has two routes, would be much, much worse.

What is the Nations League? I've heard it mentioned on here but it's totally passed me by and I follow the SFA on Facebook.

I saw HJ saying that the tournament would decide rankings for Euro qualification.

7 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

What is the Nations League? I've heard it mentioned on here but it's totally passed me by and I follow the SFA on Facebook.

I saw HJ saying that the tournament would decide rankings for Euro qualification.

Without going into too much detail (I'll leave that to the 89 page document UEFA produced), it'll involve us playing teams around "our level" between August and November next year.  Group winners will be involved in playoffs in March 2020 to decide one more spot in the Euros.  Essentially we'll need to beat sides like Slovenia (how topical), Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Norway, Montenegro etc to get a shot at that.  It'll also double as seedings for Euro qualification, like you say.  If we don't take it seriously, worst case is that we get relegated to Division D, in the 4th pot for Euros qualifying, which would probably bomb our rankings to leave us in at least pot 4 for World Cup Qualifying 2 years later.  

EDIT: And I should add, this is the problem with the SFA and the Nations League in general.  I know it's a year away, but there has been very little said about it from our side, despite UEFA seemingly upping the stakes every time they meet.  You're by no means alone in not really knowing what it is, and that's far from your fault given how all over the place it has seemed to be.  I just fear that the SFA are going to treat it with disdain despite all this, like some kind of sideshow rather than a very important competition.  I expect we'll get it announced once it's drawn and the media will chuckle away, reveling in how much they don't understand it, and the SFA will do nothing to make the average fan believe that this really, really matters.  

Archived