Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We finished 3rd, did we not?

I just mean that there seems a better team spirit about the place with Strachan in charge than with, say, Levein or Burley. That's just my perception which is obviously heavily affected by how the media portrays it.

I was meaning in the previous campaign. That should have been the end of him in my opinion.

Maybe better spirit but how the players feel not a huge factor for me. Players often sing the praises of a manager right up until the moment he is sacked. Self preservation instinct.

He’s a wee fanny & that can get you by if you deliver but if not then it just leaves you being a wee fanny that failed. Too loyal to players that didn’t deserve it and too rigid to a style of play that didn’t work.

Unbelievable to me that the decision if he stays or not will be left to him. Although given that the SFA involved I shouldn’t be surprised.

I’d give Jim Duffy the job [emoji847]

doesn't matter if we qualified or didn't, can we get a manager who isn't thick? the genetic talk was just utter stupidity, he says we're not tall or strong enough but then goes onto say the only team smaller than us in the last 2 campaigns are Spain, how have Spain done in the last 20 years or so you slavering idiot?? he should get booted for his whole "if you haven't played the game, you can't understand it" patronising attitude towards the media and fans, his teams not having qualified while other genetically similar nations have is just another reason for him to go.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Easy to say, but if they're that good, they'd be playing instead.  There isn't this vandetta against Scottish-based players that people make out, beyond the fact that he believes the other options are better.  And for the most part they are.

Where are all these Scottish based players that the English sides are clamouring to sign?  Morrison has made a fair few appearances for West Brom, so why haven't they signed someone that's better than him?

The extension, I think, is that McGregor and/or McGinn are better players than Morrison.  They clearly aren't.  Not at this point.  Also worth noting the midfield was significantly weaker last night without him.

There aren't very many players - the Thumb is probably the one, and we all know why he wasn't selected - who have a serious case about being overlooked.

Also:  you say vandetta, I say vandetta.

13 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

The extension, I think, is that McGregor and/or McGinn are better players than Morrison.  They clearly aren't.  Not at this point.  Also worth noting the midfield was significantly weaker last night without him.

There aren't very many players - the Thumb is probably the one, and we all know why he wasn't selected - who have a serious case about being overlooked.

Also:  you say vandetta, I say vandetta.

I've only just noticed that I put vandetta...jesus:shutup  Of course, it's a vandetta.  Although vandetta may get a game for the Netherlands soon.

The bolded part is key in your post though - I'd definitely get players like that involved in the lower pressure games, and I expect that's what will happen if Strachan stays or if he goes.  Right now they're not quite ready.  Leigh Griffiths wasn't, now he is.

1 hour ago, forameus said:

Easy to say, but if they're that good, they'd be playing instead.  There isn't this vandetta against Scottish-based players that people make out, beyond the fact that he believes the other options are better.  And for the most part they are.

Except that he took far too long to select Armstrong and Griffiths when they were playing well. I can't think of any other reason for that other than they played in what Strachan has been at pains to point out is an inferior league. McGregor too - on form, but you always sensed Strachan would rather stick to players he knows, even when they're not playing well.

But I'd challenge anyone who maintains Strachan picks players purely on the basis of quality to explain Matt Phillips.

26 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

Except that he took far too long to select Armstrong and Griffiths when they were playing well. I can't think of any other reason for that other than they played in what Strachan has been at pains to point out is an inferior league. McGregor too - on form, but you always sensed Strachan would rather stick to players he knows, even when they're not playing well.

But I'd challenge anyone who maintains Strachan picks players purely on the basis of quality to explain Matt Phillips.

Armstrong I concur.

Griffiths - has had well documented off the field issues, and looked miles out of his depth in his early games.  Now it looks like he's our most reliable goalscorer.  I partly agree with you.

McGregor has never really been a regular at Celtic, and isn't any better than the players ahead of him.

Phillips has looked excellent for West Brom.  If his form isn't replicated at international level, so be it, but you can't on one hand knock Strachan for not picking the form players and then for picking Phillips.

As long as Strachan stays he will remain loyal to the likes of D Fletcher, S Fletcher, Snodgrass, Morrison, McArthur,  etc, etc.   Players who should no longer be considered for national selection.  These players have failed us over and over again now.  Now is the time for bold changes at both management and the playing squad level. 

Unfortunately I have zero faith in the SFA being able to deliver the verdict I want.  The clown will remain in charge for years to come.

Gordon
Paterson ??(Lindsay) Tierney Robertson
Forrest McGinn Armstrong McGregor
Burke Griffiths

Next campaign has to be along those lines, get the old jobbers and championship fodder to f**k

That looks fucking awful

20 minutes ago, tintax said:

As long as Strachan stays he will remain loyal to the likes of D Fletcher, S Fletcher, Snodgrass, Morrison, McArthur,  etc, etc.   Players who should no longer be considered for national selection.  These players have failed us over and over again now.  Now is the time for bold changes at both management and the playing squad level. 

Unfortunately I have zero faith in the SFA being able to deliver the verdict I want.  The clown will remain in charge for years to come.

If we're being honest, whoever replaces Strachan will still pick most if not all of the players you mention - just as Berti continued to pick Lambert, Cameron, Hutchison, Douglas etc during his frenzied refresh of the squad. There needs to be a few guys who are not overawed at playing for their country and aid the transition of the younger players into the setup.

Plus Darren Fletcher likely only played because Brown wasn't available (questionable, I admit), Steven Fletcher gained his first cap in a year last night (and only because the other options are even worse).  Snodgrass was dropped and probably wouldn't have appeared last night if Armstrong was fit, McArthur is by no means a regular...in fact, it's probably only Morrison that plays regularly out of that lot.

This whole "they've failed us over and over again" pish is just that.  Iceland qualified for the Euros having continually failed.  Wales did the same.  Now Iceland have most likely qualified as group winners, and Wales could make it through the playoffs.  Amongst nations like that, they're all failures until they're not.  It's another lazy soundbite that means f**k all beyond completely wrecking our chances of future qualification.

As always, the solution is to do roughly what we've always done - have the same core of players that are the best we have available, supplemented by those that are just about ready for first team international football.  None of this rip it up and start again rubbish that will lead to nothing but the same conversations in 2 years time.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Phillips has looked excellent for West Brom.  If his form isn't replicated at international level, so be it, but you can't on one hand knock Strachan for not picking the form players and then for picking Phillips.

I'll take your word re Phillips - I probably watch less English football than Gordon Strachan watches Scottish - but I did think there was something wrong with him that couldn't be explained by being played out of position (ie dreadful first touch, he looked awfully slow and he was nutmegged in the last five minutes and didn't even give chase).

Think we can be too quick to get rid of older players.  Playing careers don't end at 30 any more. For example, I know he made the decision, but Kenny Miller could have still played a role for us in this qualifying campaign. Snodgrass has done well for us in the past and might well do again, but it's picking players like him when they're not playing well that's been the problem.

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

Hmm. maybe english football is not such a high level as people think it is. 

2 hours ago, Malcolm Malcolm said:

If I was getting paid several hundred thousand pounds to carry out a high profile leadership position then I would.

That was my point.

Archived