Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We’ve been both of our main rivals at home this year and even took an utterly remarkable point against England. He’s doing well.

Those are just results. No point winning a couple of battles if you ultimately lose the war. It's all about qualification.

Although, to be honest, after the way the last 20 years have gone. Just reaching our first play-off since 2004 would be doing well.

Is anyone starting to warm to WGS again?

My problem is that I don't see any obvious candidates who would be better than him if he was to be replaced. People can point to someone like Alex McLeish, but the current squad has it's strengths going forward, is he really the man to do better than GS.......I'm not sure.

It's my opinion that GS got this campaign into this mess by being stubborn and loyal to guys like Steven Fletcher and Robert Snodgrass, rather than throwing in the players that have now made a success of this campaign, until it was almost too late.

For the above reason, I do think we should give him another campaign, along with the fact that the players do seem to be playing for him, but am I starting to warm to him.....hhmmmm, not sure, probably.

The danger is that if Scotland get to Russia the TA will suck his ginger boaby again and the SFA will throw a juicy two year contract at him to take us to the next Euros and we will be back to the same old crap under a pig headed manager who makes continous f**k ups.

If he qualifies us for our World Cup in 20 years then he definitely deserves a contract extension.

He is stubborn / loyal I'll say that about him, however, when the pressure really started mounting, he was willing to try something new- arguably far too late.
I'm in the camp that if he does manage to get the play-off spot, it's a remarkable turn around. That said, he does need to keep the squad fresh, for most of the last campaign & the start of this one, it felt like we were going through the motions, it's amazing what a few decent results & more importantly performances can do for a team. I just hope we are having this argument again after the play-offs and asking should he go if we don't progress from the group in Russia...........

I was firmly in the Strachan GTF camp after the draw against Lithuania and losses to Slovakia and England. However, to give credit where it's due, he's not lost anymore games during a time when we could not afford to lose anymore, and to still be in a position where qualification is in our hands is a good achievement.

My view on Strachan is simple - thanks but we need something new. People seem to really genuinely dislike the guy but I don't really have any issue with him. He's strong in his convictions (people love calling managers stubborn as an insult when the great ones all are) and someone that commands respect in his role unlike Levein and Burley who seemed to do whatever they could to alienate the core squad and were far too insecure in trying to stamp authority.

I appreciate what he's done and I don't think he's been our worst manager ever. I think the groups have been relatively tough (when you look at some others) and the wheels come off last time round because I think a lot of the players he was relying on had pretty poor summers and bad luck with little knocks so the group of players he had were not at their best for reasons outwith his control. That being said, tactical things have been issues at points and certainly, at the start of this campaign, not giving Griffiths a shot and being slow to react to certain changes are things where I think it'd be a struggle to not find fault with him.

If he gets us through, I'd maybe find it hard if I was the one to make the decision but I still think we've got to try something new and freshen up.  Being a Scotland fan maybe gives a bit of a skewed perspective when it comes to international football but I do always get the perception that shelf life is more limited these. Resentment sews over time and as the young batch are on the fringes and maybe struggling to pierce through, I feel that it's a pretty tough decision to make to enact change and build a new core of players when you've built up such a rapport with senior figures.

It's not really a popular view but I think Lambert or Moyes could be guys that suit international management and take us forward in the next few years. There are a few guys in the squad who tough decisions will need to be made about in the next campaign and a new style needs to be found long term to take account of our weaker defence. We've found a good attacking presence now with Griffiths to take the pressure off the backline and have real intensity up top but if he gets injured, I really don't know what the gameplan is.

The interesting thing with Strachan is I actually thought he should have been punted for finishing 4th in the last campaign with a fairly manageable group, and even more so after the first four results in this campaign, yet at this point now I think he’s the man for the job.

It's funny that many are now turning the corner on Strachan, but the bottom line is that if we don't win tonight, then every single Scotland fan will want his head on a pike. Becuase at the end of the day, we either succeed in our campaign, or we don't. I believe if we don't make the play-offs, he'll walk anyway.

The danger is that if Scotland get to Russia the TA will suck his ginger boaby again and the SFA will throw a juicy two year contract at him to take us to the next Euros and we will be back to the same old crap under a pig headed manager who makes continous f**k ups.

Or worse yet, we actually WIN the World Cup and he's given an even longer contract.

f**k off you absolute ***.

Imagine rewarding a manager for achieving his stated objectives. Outrageous.

1 hour ago, QwaarJet said:

It's funny that many are now turning the corner on Strachan, but the bottom line is that if we don't win tonight, then every single Scotland fan will want his head on a pike. Becuase at the end of the day, we either succeed in our campaign, or we don't. I believe if we don't make the play-offs, he'll walk anyway.

I think so.  And not making the playoffs from this group would be worse than finishing fourth in the last one.  

I almost think if we make the playoffs but fail to qualify, that will be the one outcome that sees him stay on.

Lose or draw tonight he probably lets someone else have a shot. If we actually qualify I think he’ll see that as the pinnacle of his career and retire after the tournament, but if we make the playoffs then get beaten then I think he will fancy his chances of getting us in to 2020

Archived