Gordon Strachan

Elixir

2 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

If only we'd put 3 of our bang average defenders together - instead of 4.

I know that you're being sarcastic, but Bingo again!

Golly, you're on a roll.

Quit while you're ahead, though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did burley not start a new campaign fresh?

The timing of the managers appointment is a fairly minor issue compared to the lack of quality players.

Just checked.. yeah. 3 friendlies to prepare for the start of the campaign too, which started with a 1-0 defeat in Skopje. Roasting hot day where they scored a free kick and sure we had a good penalty claim turned down. Then we beat Iceland in his first game at home, Stevie Fletcher header and McCormack goal I think.

Remember being buzzing when he got it, said all the right things and promised attacking football...

13 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

I have no issue with the timing of appointing Strachan or even him being appointed btw.

I was happy with his appointment, but sore that it came, only after Levein had been given time to bugger two campaigns instead of just one.

24 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

Did burley not start a new campaign fresh?

The timing of the managers appointment is a fairly minor issue compared to the lack of quality players.

It is relatively minor when set against quality of available players, but it still matters.

The fact is that despite not having great players, we've done less well than comparably limited sides.

It is relatively minor when set against quality of available players, but it still matters.
The fact is that despite not having great players, we've done less well than comparably limited sides.

In comparison with some comparably limited sides. I agree.

I reckon the Dutch should be really shitting themselves about when they're appointing their next coach tho.

I believe there are a plethora of factors that have led to us not qualifying for a major tournament since bannockburn. But too much emphasis is put on managers. Sometimes things work out well for them, sometimes not so much. It's all about percentages.

I reckon we could've had Alex Ferguson and mourinho in the last 15 years and probably still not made it.

And next time we'll get someone like moyes (or someone even more hated by fans) and we'll we qualify. It's a funny old game.

Am I right in thinking that we can possibly afford to draw one of the next four games, but cannot afford to lose one?
If so, lets take every game on its own merits and treat it as do or die. As soon as we lose one or draw more than one, the campaign is over and we can punt Strachan.

Best case, clearly, is that we go on an unprecedented (in recent times) run of four wins, which would surely take us into a playoff believing we can beat anyone.

^^^FFS, when will I learn

3 hours ago, pandarilla said:

If only we'd put 3 of our bang average defenders together - instead of 4.

Yes. Let's play 2 of our bang average defenders together... that'll work.

And you (and everyone else who is still ridiculing my "three at the back" mantra) had better get to it, as I'll be banging the same drum come September and October. And hopefully it has the same results.

If we are looking for a new manager, Marcello Lipp will probably get the sack from China soon. He'd top my list. But then again, some people here have short memories and only judge a manager by their last job... so let's just forget about the 4 Serie A titles, the European Cup and World cup... who cares about that, as he's currently bottom of his World cup Asian group, with China. Because he's now a bad manager, apparently.  :P

Moaning about a lack of quality players only holds up so far when you look at how the likes of both Irelands and Iceland have done recently. 3 sides with equal or worse quality than Scotland have.

It also doesn't advance anything.  Yes, we have limited players.  We know that.  Yes, we don't "have a Bale".  We know that.  But we can either sit around regretting that, or we can do what we can with managerial appointments to make the best of what we have.   Sure, the timing of appointments wouldn't make much difference if we had a handful of superstars we could build the team around, but that's not the case so we need to get all the little things right. 

1 minute ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

It also doesn't advance anything.  Yes, we have limited players.  We know that.  Yes, we don't "have a Bale".  We know that.  But we can either sit around regretting that, or we can do what we can with managerial appointments to make the best of what we have.   Sure, the timing of appointments wouldn't make much difference if we had a handful of superstars we could build the team around, but that's not the case so we need to get all the little things right. 

Yep, the players can't be helped, Strachan, to his credit, on the whole picks the best ones.  He just can't do much good with them.  A different, better manager could.

Archived