Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strachan is an interesting manager, bit scatty, never sure exactly what he is thinking, never mind going to say. Perfect for the media. Always has been that way with him. They want him to remain in place for that reason, if it had been anyone else, they would have been hounded out by now.

I think it doesn't matter who we have in place for national manager, we're shit and we know we are. Changing the manager freshens the same crap for a while, then it all happens over again. We get a little boost of optimism for a wee while then bang, before we know it, we've missed the boat and the play off place is out of reach again.

Do we really want it to be this way?

20 minutes ago, They think its all over said:

Strachan is an interesting manager, bit scatty, never sure exactly what he is thinking, never mind going to say. Perfect for the media. Always has been that way with him. They want him to remain in place for that reason, if it had been anyone else, they would have been hounded out by now.

I think it doesn't matter who we have in place for national manager, we're shit and we know we are. Changing the manager freshens the same crap for a while, then it all happens over again. We get a little boost of optimism for a wee while then bang, before we know it, we've missed the boat and the play off place is out of reach again.

Do we really want it to be this way?

Such insight.

In fact, I'd suggest you go start a whole new thread with a similar post.

• 2 months later...

Bump.

He has been talking pish again this week claiming tomorrow is a 'must not lose'. Is he deluded or just stupid? Quite obviously 2nd place is not going to get a play off spot in this group, does he know this? does mark mcghee know this ?

Leaving aside the fact it is a home game against an historic rival, we are in fourth spot. say we do draw we would still be 6 points behind england and still in fourth spot with slovakia and slovenia likely to pull further away.

The man is a clown.

2 hours ago, F_T_Y said:

Bump.

He has been talking pish again this week claiming tomorrow is a 'must not lose'. Is he deluded or just stupid? Quite obviously 2nd place is not going to get a play off spot in this group, does he know this? does mark mcghee know this ?

Leaving aside the fact it is a home game against an historic rival, we are in fourth spot. say we do draw we would still be 6 points behind england and still in fourth spot with slovakia and slovenia likely to pull further away.

The man is a clown.

This.

But as long as the chumps in the Media keeping giving them a free ride and no real criticism nothing will ever change.

We wont qualify and I accepted this before a ball was even kicked a year ago so I can accept we will be stuck with him for the next 6 months however after that he simply needs to go.

Does Mark McGhee know his balls from his bellend?

I doubt it, considering the other day he said that beating England would mean we'd be only 4 points behind them - which suggests he hasn't even looked at the table for more than a few seconds. Dick.

I keep hearing a lot of criticism of WGS but little in the way of convincing arguments that sacking him/having him resign will somehow make things better. Who would you have in his place? Strachan's man-management is unparalleled and his players love him. He made some mistakes during his time and has arguably been too loyal to some players, but I think we have a habit of attaching too much responsibility for the failure of the national team to the manager. 

The last two games, particularly, have been very encouraging. 

I keep hearing a lot of criticism of WGS but little in the way of convincing arguments that sacking him/having him resign will somehow make things better. Who would you have in his place? Strachan's man-management is unparalleled and his players love him. He made some mistakes during his time and has arguably been too loyal to some players, but I think we have a habit of attaching too much responsibility for the failure of the national team to the manager. 

This x 1000.

I have been very critical of him, but last 2 games agreed much better I hope he goes out swinging in these last 4 games because if we do we will win all 4, if he goes with the cautious approach we will win 1 of them. 

21 minutes ago, velo army said:

Very well said. 

32 minutes ago, velo army said:

Realistically though, if we don't make the playoffs what actual chance of him continuing?

He would have presided over 3 consecutive failed qualification campaigns (admittedly having taken over part-way through the first) - I can't think of a manager who has survived even failing #1 and a bad start to #2... Vogts actually made the playoffs and went after a bad start to #2. Burley failed #1 and didn't make it to #2. Levein failed #1 and went after a bad start to #2.

Indeed at the moment we're comfortably 4th and many outside observers might be tipping us to finish there. We finished 4th last time something which never happened before... If we finish 3rd or 4th twice running, where is the progress?

Euro 2020 qualifying will be harder than last time with no playoffs for 3rd place, and only the outside hope of winning the Nations League section then 2 rounds of single-match playoffs.

We are as well leaving Strachan to see out this campaign but we should be using the time left to scour around for a replacement. Making a panic replacement when he balls up the first two or three games of the next campaign will just leave us in the same old rut. Of course that would require the sfa to have some long term vision......

The two goals from griffiths glossed over what was a pretty poor performance really.

For me strachan has made a bit of a mess of two campaigns and is extremely stubborn and pig headed which has a detrimental affect overall.

He has to go at the end of what will be his second failure in a campaign, the Euro campaign was a disaster.

As someone else has pointed out the SFA should be working hard at finding a suitable replacement and not going for Moyes (please no).

I don't imagine strachan is on a small salary so we should be able to attract a decent manager with the money we'd be willing to pay.

Archived