Gordon Strachan

Elixir

Also important to note that although Euro 2016 used head-to-head for a decider, with the WC it's purely GD.  Slovenia currently have +7, Slovenia +1, us -1.  I think the Malta games count into that (but not into the 2nd placed table) so we need to be absolutely scudding Lithuania and Malta to try and redress the balance.  We don't want to be going to Slovenia with the knowledge that we could still get beaten to 2nd on goal difference.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, forameus said:

For those that fancy torturing themselves, the people that brought you the interactive Euro 2016 qualifying website have one for this campaign too.

http://ultra.zone/2018-FIFA-World-Cup-qualification-UEFA#group=f

It's given me a little more hope to be honest.  If results go the way we're expecting (Lithuania and Malta to largely job to everyone) then it comes down to a few key games with the three sides outside England.  With 11 points and then 12 points good enough to make it into the playoff spots in 2014 and 2010 respectively, it's not outwith the realms of possibility yet.

Lose to England and we likely need 4 wins.  2 should take care of themselves, so Slovakia at home becomes huge.  Then Slovenia away on the final day...lol.

It's amazing what that goal and win did in terms of making the impossible seem a bit less so. You start looking at the remaining games vs Malta, Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia  as should win, could win * 2 and crunch clash, instead of who cares, we're out, we can't win games or keep a clean sheet * 4

ETA: took 10 'autos' on that site before we made it into second :unsure:

Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia and ourselves are all very shite and will all drop points to each other. I can't see any other outcome other than our group playing host to the worst runner-up.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

It's amazing what that goal and win did in terms of making the impossible seem a bit less so. You start looking at the remaining games vs Malta, Lithuania, Slovenia and Slovakia  as should win, could win * 2 and crunch clash, instead of who cares, we're out, we can't win games or keep a clean sheet * 4

ETA: took 10 'autos' on that site before we made it into second :unsure:

England 25981017017

Slovakia16105141798

Scotland151043315132

Slovenia1510433981

Lithuania1010244914-5

Malta09009225-23

Miss out by a point

I managed to get us into 2nd, even with a draw against Slovenia in the final game.  Think I needed a draw between the two Slovs and us getting a point against England for that though.  A draw in that Slov derby would be brilliant for us providing we don't f**k things up for ourselves.

Lithuania, Slovakia, Slovenia and ourselves are all very shite and will all drop points to each other. I can't see any other outcome other than our group playing host to the worst runner-up.

Failing to finish second in this group would be pretty shameful.

Will probably end up getting something against England then losing in Lithuania.

We are 4th after 5 games and that's probably where most people expected us to be, and that's where we'll likely finish.

I loved Gordon's response to Luke Shanley last night when he mentioned the pressure, it shows he has a sense of humour lol.

Luke: That must feel good personally because you were under severe pressure?  Not the exact wording lol.

Gordon: Really!!? (Pauses): Jesus!! You sure know how to cheer someone up s now I'll go home and have a cry to myself".

I loved Gordon's response to Luke Shanley last night when he mentioned the pressure, it shows he has a sense of humour lol.

Luke: That must feel good personally because you were under severe pressure?  Not the exact wording lol.
Gordon: Really!!? (Pauses): Jesus!! You sure know how to cheer someone up s now I'll go home and have a cry to myself".

That doesn't look particularly funny when written down. Must have been funnier in audio.

7 hours ago, kenny131 said:

I think we will pick up all 9 points at home then f**k it up in lithunia and Slovenia to finish 3rd

Didn't yoou say that we wouldn't beat anyone except Malta not so long ago?

Got 2nd in my first and second auto. I'll take the job.

Looking at the other groups, Twelve points is the realistic minimum. Ten points would give you a good chance at second in our group but likely mean being the worst second placed team if you did scrape it. A draw against England to get you to eleven I reckon would leave you somewhere around 50% chance of playoffs. 

None of the four 'must wins' are particularly difficult games, as noted Slovakia are no great shakes. The chances of Scotland winning four winnable games out of four though? 

ETA in my sim Malta went on a storming run with victories away to Slovenia and at home to Lithuania to take them to second bottom, thus discounting the Lithuania result. That would certainly be a bonus but throws the credibility of the simulations into doubt! 

Archived