Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think I've ever been do disinterested in a Scottish team. I'll probably be pished and up for it during the game but it's getting harder when we just seem to be going backwards under Strachan.

I don't think I've ever been do disinterested in a Scottish team. I'll probably be pished and up for it during the game but it's getting harder when we just seem to be going backwards under Strachan.

Course you have. We were utter shite for large spells under Vogts and Levein too.

23 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Course you have. We were utter shite for large spells under Vogts and Levein too.

I think it's the strange thought that I thought under Strachan we might get better but as usual, no we are just utter gash. You'd watch a Vogts team for a laugh and see what hilarious formation and team he'd put out.

The thing that pisses me off most about Strachan is that he talks down our game and seems generally pessimistic about our playing talent. He might be being realistic but his main job is to inspire players and I think his negativity feeds off to the players. He was a very good player and his previous managerial record isn't terrible, he did well at Celtic and Southampton but there are notable flops which outweigh those. Scotland should be better with the players available and a better manager could do more.

We can speculate all we want but the depressing truth is that mackay will almost certainly be the replacement. He is currently in a role that he has virtually no background or qualifications in and there won't be any need for compensation. The sfa is wholly rotten

We can speculate all we want but the depressing truth is that mackay will almost certainly be the replacement. He is currently in a role that he has virtually no background or qualifications in and there won't be any need for compensation. The sfa is wholly rotten

Even the monkeys running the SFA will know that the next appointment has to be a good one.

As a fellow monkey, I imagine they will be looking for someone with a good track record in international management and particularly in managing to regularly get smaller teams to qualify for tournaments. If not they should deservedly get slaughtered by the press and the fans.

Strachan, Levein, and Burley had no international management experience and we rarely looked like qualifying with them. McLeish and Smith did have us looking like we might qualify, but we didn't. Vogts was poor, but he was the last manager to even get us to a play-off and he had international management experience, albeit he was the kind of unadventurous, boring appointment you'd expect from the SFA blazers.

Even the monkeys running the SFA will know that the next appointment has to be a good one.

As a fellow monkey, I imagine they will be looking for someone with a good track record in international management and particularly in managing to regularly get smaller teams to qualify for tournaments. If not they should deservedly get slaughtered by the press and the fans.

Strachan, Levein, and Burley had no international management experience and we rarely looked like qualifying with them. McLeish and Smith did have us looking like we might qualify, but we didn't. Vogts was poor, but he was the last manager to even get us to a play-off and he had international management experience, albeit he was the kind of unadventurous, boring appointment you'd expect from the SFA blazers.

I don't disagree with much of that but the sheer complacency of the people running the sfa shouldn't be underestimated. As long as there's a profit being made they are happy. Hence not binning Strachan at the end of his contract after Gibraltar.

Problem is if Fergie actually took the job the expectations would go through the roof, everyone would expect us to turn into the class of 92. Don't think he needs the hassle, if anything we'd probably kill him off.

Pretty sure the wage mentioned on here before is about 500k? Which we'd all be happy with but roughly 10k a week? Most of the players will be on double that. Don't think you'd be able to attract the sort of talent we need, when they can earn much bigger money managing in the English Premiership and even Championship.

Apropos of nothing here's a list of the salaries of managers at Euro 16.

IMG_1490432248.786540.jpg

Find it remarkable that anyone would kid themselves on about Ferguson tbh. Trying to get anything out the jobbers that constitute this current squad is no way to bookend the career he's had.

Oliver Burke on Football Focus there, saying when asked that Strachan hasn't had a specific discussion with him about his role in the Scotland team.  Burke says he just tries his best.

None of it sounds terribly impressive or inspiring.

Apropos of nothing here's a list of the salaries of managers at Euro 16.

IMG_1490432248.786540.jpg.6efc9b884567cd442ab739ae68831f95.jpg

Find it remarkable that anyone would kid themselves on about Ferguson tbh. Trying to get anything out the jobbers that constitute this current squad is no way to bookend the career he's had.

Let's get the Romanian boy in.

Michael O'Neill on more than Coleman? I'd have thought Norn Iron would have been a low paying gig given their low capacity ground and relatively poor TV deal?

Did he not got a pay rise before the Euros?

Archived