Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd imagine the SFA pay pretty decent money which would give us a chance to go for a "glamour" appointment. I firmly believe we must go foreign again as we need fresh ideas and a different style of play rather than this boring tippy tappy nothing football that we're currently playing. Our Central defence is an absolute abysmal so we must try to play to our strengths and attack teams as we do actually have decent options in midfield and on the wings. Someone like a Ranieri would certainly instill a bit of excitement as opposed to the typical SFA appointment of a Moyes / McLeish / Levein / Burley / Strachan / McGhee / Black type of appointment.

They really need to get this one right as the fans patience is running very, very thin at the moment.

23 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

I'd imagine the SFA pay pretty decent money which would give us a chance to go for a "glamour" appointment. I firmly believe we must go foreign again as we need fresh ideas and a different style of play rather than this boring tippy tappy nothing football that we're currently playing. Our Central defence is an absolute abysmal so we must try to play to our strengths and attack teams as we do actually have decent options in midfield and on the wings. Someone like a Ranieri would certainly instill a bit of excitement as opposed to the typical SFA appointment of a Moyes / McLeish / Levein / Burley / Strachan / McGhee / Black type of appointment.

They really need to get this one right as the fans patience is running very, very thin at the moment.

Yes.  The guy who managed to get Greece to arguably their worst position for decades, having been pumped by the Faroe Islands twice, and made it pretty clear that he isn't very good at international management, that's the "exciting" appointment we want.

4 minutes ago, forameus said:

Yes.  The guy who managed to get Greece to arguably their worst position for decades, having been pumped by the Faroe Islands twice, and made it pretty clear that he isn't very good at international management, that's the "exciting" appointment we want.

Yes, Ranieri has a mixed record like most Managers, however at Scotland we need something "different", our current style is horrific and boring beyond belief, we don't shoot, we don't cross the ball, we don't actually do anything apart from 5 yard sideways passes and then lose possession and concede a goal. It's just pathetic.

Just now, WATTOO said:

Yes, Ranieri has a mixed record like most Managers, however at Scotland we need something "different", our current style is horrific and boring beyond belief, we don't shoot, we don't cross the ball, we don't actually do anything apart from 5 yard sideways passes and then lose possession and concede a goal. It's just pathetic.

He doesn't have a mixed record at international level, he has an absolutely abysmal one.  Played 4, won 0, drawn 1, lost 3.  Only one goal scored.

International management is not club management.  It would be a terrible apointment.  If we're going to go foreign, we could do much, much better.

36 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

What makes you think they SFA pay decent money?? 

2 minutes ago, forameus said:

He doesn't have a mixed record at international level, he has an absolutely abysmal one.  Played 4, won 0, drawn 1, lost 3.  Only one goal scored.

International management is not club management.  It would be a terrible apointment.  If we're going to go foreign, we could do much, much better.

Holy Christ, I was only using Ranieri as an example and I don't think you can seriously point to a conclusive record when you only have 1 appointment with 4 matches played.

Don't tell me, you're one of these people who thinks a poll of 1,000 people is reflective of the views of 5 million..............

5 minutes ago, spacekid84 said:

What makes you think they SFA pay decent money?? 

Going by the amount they charge us to watch games and all their SSC memberships, then I'd think they can't be short of a bob or two......

2 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Holy Christ, I was only using Ranieri as an example and I don't think you can seriously point to a conclusive record when you only have 1 appointment with 4 matches played.

Don't tell me, you're one of these people who thinks a poll of 1,000 people is reflective of the views of 5 million..............

No, but I can probably point to what the man himself said.  

I made a mistake when I was manager of Greece. I wanted to look because it is a different job at a club to a national team. I had four matches and for each game I trained the players for just three days. That is 12 days of training. What can I do in just 12 days? I had to rebuild a national team in just 12 days. What could I do? I am not a magician.

Doesn't sound like he's desperate to get back into that, or even that he'd have any interest.

You said Ranieri would be an exciting appointment, and I think he'd be a dreadful one given his track record.  Nothing to get upset about.

Dreadful can be exciting in it's own way.

I remember when we had Simon "the hat" Stainrod, that was exciting, but not in a good way......

I don't understand why people wouldn't want Lambert in as manager. I think he'd be a great appointment. I think people seriously underestimate what he has achieved as a manager

Probably because he made an absolute c**t of it at Villa.

Probably because he made an absolute c**t of it at Villa.

Villa were a sinking ship when he took over and he kept them up with the youngest team in the league. They were being run poorly and relegation was inevitable for them. To say he made a c**t of it is very harsh. I think he done a good job there considering the circumstances.

Only bad spells for him in my opinion were Livi and Blackburn, however, both clubs were a joke when he was in charge and I doubt any manager would've done any better at the time.

Lambert would be very high on my list to take over from WGS

Archived