Gordon Strachan

Elixir

6 minutes ago, pandarilla said:

No-one could possibly disagree with that statement. It's very obvious.

The hard bit is deciding which managers are crap. You will think this is an easy thing because time after time you've shown yourself up to be a numpty.

Plenty of united fans at that time were convinced Ferguson was a crap manager. Absolutely convinced.

I've shown myself up, have i!! That's plenty out of you. You struggle to hold your knob, let alone a conversation. 

It's amazing you remember the strength of feeling from the Stretford End in 1990, you didn't seem to know much about events much later. Wikipedia is a terrific thing for dummies, eh?!

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Ferguson was famously one game away from the sack at man utd. I thought it was an fa cup replay (could be wrong). Mark robbins definitely scored to save the day.

I'm not suggesting unconditional support. I'm suggesting that going to the lengths of actually wanting the opposition to win is going too far.

I know folk say it fairly regularly but you stood by it. You'll be hoping we miss any early chance we create - and hope they stick one away.

Seriously? That's what you're saying.

Yeah, I'll see how it goes. I love football, but shankly was wrong, it's not life and death.

It wasn't a replay and it wasn't the 1980s.   Otherwise, spot on.

I'd like us to win at Wembley as it would keep qualification hopes alive, so I'm actually hoping that we bury those early chances and keep England at bay thereafter.  However, I'd prefer a heavy defeat to a draw or a narrow loss that keeps Strachan in his post, but still ends our hopes of going to the World Cup.

Of course football is not a question of life or death.  I've no idea why you're now pursuing this line that I somehow take it all too seriously, in comparison to you.  

I'd like us to win at Wembley as it would keep qualification hopes alive, so I'm actually hoping that we bury those early chances and keep England at bay thereafter.  However, I'd prefer a heavy defeat to a draw or a narrow loss that keeps Strachan in his post, but still ends our hopes of going to the World Cup.

Of course football is not a question of life or death.  I've no idea why you're now pursuing this line that I somehow take it all too seriously, in comparison to you.  

Have you any idea how you come across?

It turns out the tie was January 7th 1990. I said the late 80s. That's one full week out, and you think this is somehow meaningful. That I can't possibly have an opinion worthy of discussion. One week?

A few days ago it was because I couldn't remember the players who played in a game against Scotland when I was 12.

Are you that needy? So desperate to get one over on someone on a football forum that you jump all over something so ridiculous.

I thought there was a touch of belated respect (unlike your officer side-kick who is beyond all hope) in a few of these discussions recently. But don't worry, you console yourself on your superior knowledge of football - because I thought a goal that was scored one week into a new year took place in the previous year. What a moron I must be.

8 hours ago, pandarilla said:

It turns out the tie was January 7th 1990. I said the late 80s. That's one full week out, and you think this is somehow meaningful. That I can't possibly have an opinion worthy of discussion. One week?

A few days ago it was because I couldn't remember the players who played in a game against Scotland when I was 12.

Are you that needy? So desperate to get one over on someone on a football forum that you jump all over something so ridiculous.

I thought there was a touch of belated respect (unlike your officer side-kick who is beyond all hope) in a few of these discussions recently. But don't worry, you console yourself on your superior knowledge of football - because I thought a goal that was scored one week into a new year took place in the previous year. What a moron I must be.

It wasn't a replay either - you missed that bit and ignored the fact that I actually want us to beat England.

It's almost as if you're taking it all too seriously.

10 hours ago, pandarilla said:

You, and other clowns like you, need put in your place, especially when decrying every decision and result as being down to bad (or in everyone else's case, good) luck. 

When anyone corrects you (quite often, as it happens) you throw hissyfits and refuse to simply accept the fact that people with more knowledge than others are just better and more useful people than those without. You should be thanking MT for being so open-minded to converse with you, frankly. 

Beyond hope. Big lolz. 

11 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

It's simple. You're being perceived to be ruining his and Lhichtie1916's enjoyment of festering in their own urine*, metaphorically speaking of course. 

*For the clinically stupid......urine represents Scotland being shite, and the ignorance of investigating root causes of the shiteness. 

1 hour ago, Officer Barbrady said:

It's simple. You're being perceived to be ruining his and Lhichtie1916's enjoyment of festering in their own urine*, metaphorically speaking of course. 

*For the clinically stupid......urine represents Scotland being shite, and the ignorance of investigating root causes of the shiteness. 

You make good points regularly, Barbrady, and there is half of one in the quoted post too - no need to be a pretentious tw*t.

It wasn't a replay either - you missed that bit and ignored the fact that I actually want us to beat England.

It's almost as if you're taking it all too seriously.

Wasn't it the final against Palace where he was going to be sacked if they didn't win?

That went to a replay.

51 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Wasn't it the final against Palace where he was going to be sacked if they didn't win?

That went to a replay.

It did, as did the semi-final I think.

He's referring though to the 3rd round tie at Nottingham Forest.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

You make good points regularly, Barbrady, and there is half of one in the quoted post too - no need to be a pretentious tw*t.

Perhaps, but the thread has taken an even more ridiculous turn than usual (again) with people accusing others of wishing the team to lose, not for the first time either, simply because they have no wish to witness Scotland dying slowly on their arse, and at Wembley, of all places. Defeats to Eastern bloc diddies and embarrassing draws in the North Atlantic may be the norm these days, but going down south with the intention of keeping the score down is the most humiliating prospect in our entire history of the sport.

9-0 would, 100%, be a better long-term result than 1-0 or 2-1. 

13 hours ago, pandarilla said:

Anyway, lighten up you daft bugger. 

I only brought up questioning the details of when Ferguson was under pressure as a wee light hearted aside, due to our earlier discussion concerning when Portugal emerged as strong.

The main part of my post was to say that I want Scotland to beat England next month, despite you claiming I want us to lose.  I don't, but if we can't win, I'd opt for a defeat heavy enough to be likely to prompt a managerial change.

The precise date of when Man United scraped past Forest is not that important.  I'm not sure why you're giving it such focus.

I'd take Neil or Moyes ahead of Strachan right now.

I'd even consider someone like Steve Clarke.

That being said, my absolute first choice would be going down the foreign route. Get Bielsa in. Imagine the hilarity there.

Moyes 1 game from the sack and Alex Neil reportedly under huge pressure at Norwich. Would take Neil for Scotland in a heartbeat.

I could quite conceive of a situation whereby those two and Strachan swap jobs. Strachan to Norwich, Neil to Sunderland and Moyes to Scotland. I'd take that, to be honest.

Bit of a shame to see Neil doing so poorly, but it can't really be said his board haven't given him every chance to succeed. His handling by of the Naismith thing was highly suspect.

Moyes is an imbecile. Why people are desperate for a man that's failed at his past two jobs and is currently stinking the place out at his current one, f**k only knows. 

Likewise Neil. The man had one and a half very good seasons at Hamilton, along with a further good half season at Norwich. The past year and a half since that has been slowly downhill. Maybe in future but just now, nowhere near ready for the Scotland job.

Just now, eez-eh said:

Moyes is an imbecile. Why people are desperate for a man that's failed at his past two jobs and is currently stinking the place out at his current one, f**k only knows. 

Likewise Neil. The man had one and a half very good seasons at Hamilton, along with a further good half season at Norwich. The past year and a half since that has been slowly downhill. Maybe in future but just now, nowhere near ready for the Scotland job.

This.  It smacks of the usual cycle where we point to someone as the saviour, then spend the next two years growing to hate him.  If I was Neil, I'd be running as far away from this job as possible.  Moyes...well, you just don't know what you'll get.  But he's hardly going to give us free and expansive football, and his recent record doesn't make good reading as a replacement.

Which means that it'll probably be him.  I look forward to watching everyone saying Moyes out in a few years time.

Archived