Gordon Strachan

Elixir

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Snodgrass out now for Wembley - letter sent out to Broonaldo?

I hope not. I love broony and don't get me wrong he couldn't do much worse than Darren Fletcher but it still wouldn't make much of a difference, whoever plays in there will get rings run around them. I'm just hoping McArthur has a fucking excellent game so that Darren Fletcher isn't embarrassed too much.

2 hours ago, lonewolfie said:

They're closing ranks. Old pals act here.No surprise.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37756240

By backing WGS and blaming the players, hopefully that's Souness admitting to himself that he's not getting the job.

"He's got us organised and difficult to play against"  :lol:

If I was a neutral I'd probably be absolutely delighted to see Scotland doing so badly. We're really giving the English a run for their money in the delusion and arrogance stakes with the pish our managers and pundits are coming out with.

2 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

If I was a neutral I'd probably be absolutely delighted to see Scotland doing so badly. We're really giving the English a run for their money in the delusion and arrogance stakes with the pish our managers and pundits are coming out with.

Not just the managers and pundits. Some of the fans are coming out with stuff that I've only heard from England fans until recently.

Especially depressing has been the "we need a manager who'll get them playing with more passion!" stuff, which used to be one of the things we'd rip the pish out of the English for saying.

All this play to your strengths is right, except people seem not to know what our strengths are. We actually produce technically good small players in abundance, but most people seem to think aggression and intensity etc are our strengths.  They're not, technique, gallus wee players with skill is what has always been our strengths and we need to embrace that.  At least we'd also be good to watch.  It's fucking criminal Ross McCormack doesn't have 40 caps for example.

All this play to your strengths is right, except people seem not to know what our strengths are. We actually produce technically good small players in abundance, but most people seem to think aggression and intensity etc are our strengths.  They're not, technique, gallus wee players with skill is what has always been our strengths and we need to embrace that.  At least we'd also be good to watch.  It's fucking criminal Ross McCormack doesn't have 40 caps for example.

Then why are we constantly coming away from defeats saying things like 'The were technically better than us'?

7 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

By backing WGS and blaming the players, hopefully that's Souness admitting to himself that he's not getting the job.

"He's got us organised and difficult to play against"  :lol:

Graeme 'Plastic Surgery' Souness churning out some of the old cliches there.

'He's got us organised and difficult to play against/We don't have the technical ability/Scotland is a backwater/We need to focus on the physical side of the game/We need a root and branch review of the national coaching setup/Rangers and Celtic are huge worldwide clubs/Relegating Rangers was a mistake/The Old Firm should be playing in England/There's too many teams in Scotland/Kids have smartphones and games consoles/Kids are too fat nowadays/The population is too small/We don't have a world class player like Gareth Bale.'

Delete as appropriate. 

I'd say it's both.

Our greatest teams had a load of players who wouldn't give you a second on the ball and then kick f**k out of you if you showed any ability.

Then we add 1 or 2 wee gallus b*****ds who walked about hands on hips until they got the ball. This was McFadden in recent years.

I think that's the balance we need. The problem is we don't seem to have many strong, nasty fuckers - and even fewer Jimmy johnstones.

Ross mcormack is an enigma. Is he a bit of a dick as an individual? Too many managers have ignored him which suggests there's something about him that's not right. I'd have thought we needed to suck it up and give him a run in the team.

Yes.

The other possibility is that we lose fairly narrowly, but can point to some fictional bad luck, enabling the limpalong to happen anyway.

I would honestly prefer us to lose this 6-0 than see us scrape a 0-0.

The one comfort from all of this is there's no chance in hell we're keeping a clean sheet at Wembley with that defence.

The inevitable defeat may force the SFA's hand.

This always seems to come up.

Do you guys honestly want us to lose in this match? How far will you be taking that mentality?

Then why are we constantly coming away from defeats saying things like 'The were technically better than us'?

They are but we always seemed to produce a couple of wee belters and enough big scary fuckers to sort out the opposition.

Needless to say the tightening up on fouls, yellow and red cards (since the early 90s) has not been to our advantage.

Gordopolis because we don't pick our technically best players.  And it doesn't matter if other side's are technically better anyway as we should simply be picking our best players and in most cases they are good technically but lacking in other area's.  We can only be as good as we are but hindering our chances by not even playing to our strengths isn't helping.

We stuck with Kenny miller for years and years even though he basically couldn't score in a bucketful of Fannie's and was incapable of trapping a bag of cement.  Not just once did we do this we did it over and over for years, sticking to the same formula that had failed several times already.  Kris Boyd was scoring 45 goals a season and Scotland couldn't score he still basically never got a look in as this failed dinosaur attitude of we can't accommodate guys like that was stuck to.

Now we're picking a lump of shit who hadn't scored since April till two weeks and is the slowest least mobile player in the history of fooball over Scotland's player of the year who scored 40 goals last season.  It's madness.

Martin also offers no threat at all running in behind doesn't stretch teams at all very easy player to mark and play against as he can't move and will always be right in front of a CB.  But Griffith's apparently is no use cause he's too small to defend corners I mean holy f**k it's a bad joke.  What

team that plays one up front picks that one on their ability to defend corners?  Fucking mental, and as ever we struggle to score goals and we have a goalscorer on the form of his life last season and we ignore him in favour of a lump.  

Same thing before with Rhodes and miller, pick a whippet instead of a natural goalscorer cause the dinosaur in chargE thinks we can't affordto play some like that well I think we can't afford not to play somebody like that we have available, the three most natural goalscorers Scotland has had since mccoist all been overlooked constantly in favour of a lump and a whippet and we don't score enough goals.  Utter madness.

I think you might be right.

But at the danger of an actual football conversation breaking out - has it not been shown at international/European level that if you play with an out and out striker you never really get enough of the ball in dangerous areas to make it work? That's why the obsession with possession-based football came about. Do you not need your striker to either press, link the play, or offer pace in behind?

(Like I say I'm not convinced by my own argument here and partly playing devil's advocate)

I'm not sure about that the same formula works in I finite different ways with different players and little tweaks.  I would say Griffith's is easily capable of pressing, he is quick and mobile enough for that, definitely can run in behind and definitely can link play as his touch is very good.  What Strachan wants is a big strong guy who we can thump it long to when defending who is big and strong enough to win headers, play with his back to goal take it on his chest and hold defenders off long enough for the midfield to get out and catch up.  It's a 1980s attitude whichjust isn't working.  And he talks often of Griffith's and Rhodes weaknesses but never Martin's of which there are fucking loads.

Guest DAVIDB69

Ross McCormack isn't very good he would make no,difference to our side, he is 30 years old.

He also now been dropped to the bench by villa

I'm not sure about that the same formula works in I finite different ways with different players and little tweaks.  I would say Griffith's is easily capable of pressing, he is quick and mobile enough for that, definitely can run in behind and definitely can link play as his touch is very good.  What Strachan wants is a big strong guy who we can thump it long to when defending who is big and strong enough to win headers, play with his back to goal take it on his chest and hold defenders off long enough for the midfield to get out and catch up.  It's a 1980s attitude whichjust isn't working.  And he talks often of Griffith's and Rhodes weaknesses but never Martin's of which there are fucking loads.

Yeah I don't know why he's not went with Griffiths more often. It'll be interesting to see how his career develops at Celtic. Will he be trusted in the champions league or become a striker solely to beat the dundees and kilmarnocks of this world? (No offence to dundee)

Martin did link the play quite well recently and had some nice touched but he added next to nothing else as far as I could see. I've yet to see him dominate in the air and obviously there's no pace there.

1 hour ago, pandarilla said:

Yeah I don't know why he's not went with Griffiths more often. It'll be interesting to see how his career develops at Celtic. Will he be trusted in the champions league or become a striker solely to beat the dundees and kilmarnocks of this world? (No offence to dundee)

Martin did link the play quite well recently and had some nice touched but he added next to nothing else as far as I could see. I've yet to see him dominate in the air and obviously there's no pace there.

But offence to Killie, you cretin.

Archived