Boris the Liar

DeeTillEhDeh

This entire referendum has nothing to do with the positives and negatives of being part of the EU, it is simply the vehicle for politicians in this country to try and further their own political careers or to put/keep themselves in powerful positions.

You can tell this by the lack of energy, time and resources being put into the campaigns. Neither side has even begun putting forward any decent arguments for or against being in the EU, they both prefer to go down the tried and tested fear route with exaggerated claims and downright lies which people can no longer separate from genuine warnings from people who genuinely are in a position to reasonably advise on these things.

There may very well be concerns about immigration or the laws the EU influences but we aren't seeing any debate about them, all we get are tropes about controlling borders and how EU laws make us do stuff, without any debate on exactly what it is that people are objecting to or how leaving the EU might solve it.

Likewise there are strong benefits to staying in the EU but have we heard any of them? It is completely wrong that many people do not have a better idea of how the EU works and how it affects our lives now, than before the supposed remain campaign started - it was upo to them to show people how it benefits us and why its important. They have done nothing to make this campaign successful.

Or is it Boris the Political Opportunist?

Before I start I would like to say that I have no issue with those who support Leave and have consistently done so. 

I have, however, been frustrated during this campaign at how little has been made of the cycnical Leave stance of Boris Johnson.

How can someone go from this . . . .

. . . to anti-EU in the matter of a few months?

Boris Johnson's anti-EU credentials are nothing more that a blatant piece of self-serving political opportunism.

Why the hell is he not being challenged on it?

I changed my stance dramatically during the Independence referendum.

Think you should change the title to Gove the liar given he's been found out a couple of times now with whoppers

Cameron and Osborne have been the biggest liars. They are panicking that their careers will be over after a Leave victory. Every week, there is a different scare story based on very dubious claims. The public saw through them and the Leave campaign over-turned Remain's significant lead.

Cameron is worse. Cameron has been at pains to set out the cost of leaving in terms of recession, pockets being hit etc.

He had the option to set all of this out in the last parliament or in the 2015 election campaign and on the back of it explain why he wouldn't allow a referendum given the economic risks to the country.

Of course that would have driven people to UKIP and he'd have lost the election.

But rather than do what he believed was right, he chose to line his own pockets and take the gamble on a referendum.

He has the crass nerve to accuse others of playing fast and loose with the economy and the future of our children etc.

If it happens and we leave the EU, he'll be finished and whether we do or not he should resign because of the risks he's known about but chosen to run with anyway.

No prime minister should create this environment to save his own miserable hide. He's much worse than Johnston for these reasons alone. And Johnston is a fuckin wart on the face of society.

Spot on, sir

I changed my stance dramatically during the Independence referendum.

Big difference - you are a voter - voters can and often do change their minds - politicians on fundamental issues like this should not be flip-flopping like he has.

• 3 months later...
On 21/06/2016 at 23:48, pandarilla said:

In one of those Boris vs Dave documentaries a while back it made it clear that call me dave couldn't give two fucks about the issue. He flirted with leave folk back when he began his career and has always pretty much stayed on the fence.

The man doesn't really believe in anything, other than maintaining the status quo (with regards privilege and wealth in Britain) and looking after his own career.

Confirmation this morning, if it was ever required, that Boris was completely on the fence, right up until 2 days before he jumped aboard the Brexit bandwaggon.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/721646/boris-johnson-brexit-remain-column-article-tim-shipman-single-market-free-trade-telegraph

On 21/06/2016 at 22:11, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Or is it Boris the Political Opportunist?

Before I start I would like to say that I have no issue with those who support Leave and have consistently done so. 

I have, however, been frustrated during this campaign at how little has been made of the cycnical Leave stance of Boris Johnson.

How can someone go from this . . . .

. . . to anti-EU in the matter of a few months?

Boris Johnson's anti-EU credentials are nothing more that a blatant piece of self-serving political opportunism.

Why the hell is he not being challenged on it?

ffs. A self serving political opportunist. Who would believe it eh.

1 hour ago, Peppino Impastato said:

Boris Johnson is a liar, well knock me down with a feather. 

Is he? What about the white paper. There's a difference between a liar and a politician articulating differing opinions. Far to profound and complicated for you to comment on.

7 hours ago, Antlion said:

Boris was hoping the vote would be narrowly for "Remain" and he could ride the ensuing wave of disaffection from Eurosceptic Tories and UKIP voters as a continuing pro-Brexiter.

Yes, exactly. He basically wanted to lose narrowly then do what Sturgeon did in Scotland. That's why him and Gove were practically greeting live on TV when they realised they were going to win.

Archived