Europa League 2016/17

lichtie23

• Replies 841
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not sure that the commentators aren't overreacting a bit, West Ham getting horsed out of the Europa League is not quite the end of the world as they are making out. They make it sound as though they are on the verge of relegation which would see them go bust or something!

Just now, Jambomo said:

I'm not sure that the commentators aren't overreacting a bit, West Ham getting horsed out of the Europa League is not quite the end of the world as they are making out. They make it sound as though they are on the verge of relegation which would see them go bust or something!

It's been ridiculously biased. Pray for the commentary team.

No surprise to see WHU papped out. Don't see it as an upset at all, the way the BT pundits are going on its some fecking giant killing.

Astra have been consistent performers in Europe for 4 or 5 seasons. Not exactly a nightmare scenario.

I thought the Olympic stadium would've been a great move for West Ham. However based on the 3 games I've watched, the photos of the scaffolding, the view I can't help but think they'll regret Sullivan and Gold taking them out of Upton Park.

Astra knocked them out last season too yet BT were treating it as if all West Ham had to do was to turn up to beat this bunch of backwater nobodies. Disrespectful doesn't come into it.

I said the Olympic Stadium would be a disaster the minute the bid was submitted. I've seen little to change my mind so far.

West Ham are slowly being ripped apart and turned into a soulless, corporate play thing.

Sad.

Astra knocked them out last season too yet BT were treating it as if all West Ham had to do was to turn up to beat this bunch of backwater nobodies. Disrespectful doesn't come into it.

Astra are a bunch of backwater nobodies though. West Ham have easily 10-20x their first team budget and still failed to progress.

It's a Hearts v Birkikara level of utter fail.

Good to see Sparta Prague going through after going 0-2 down at home to some gubbins outfit: winning 3-2 in the end. Liberec also comfortably progressed thanks to an easy tie against Lanaca.

I probably prefer the Europa League these days to the Champions League.  The variation in the teams and the groups makes it a bit more interesting for me.

Group A: Man Utd, Fenerbahce, Feyenoord, Zorya Luhansk

Group B: Olympiacos, Apoel Nicosia, Young Boys, Astana

Group C: Anderlecht, St Etienne, Mainz, Qabala

Group D: Zenit St Petersburg, AZ Alkmaar, Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Dundalk

Group E: Plzen, Roma, Austria Vienna, FC Astra Giurgiu

Group F: Athletic Bilbao, Genk, Rapid Vienna, Sassuolo

Group G: Ajax, Standard Liege, Celta Vigo, Panathinaikos

Group H: Shakhtar Donetsk, Braga, Gent, Konyaspor

Group I: Schalke 04, FC Red Bull Salzburg, Krasnodar, Nice

Group J: Fiorentina, PAOK Salonika, Liberec, Qarabag

Group K: Inter Milan, Sparta Prague, Southampton, Hapoel Beer Sheva

Group L: Villarreal, Steaua Bucharest, FC Zurich, Osmanlispor

It will be interesting to see how Dundalk get on.

Only previous instance of an Irish club reaching a groupstage was EL 2011-12. Shamrock Rovers got Rubin Kazan, Spurs and PAOK of Greece and lost all 6 games with GD of -15.

Terrible showing from Scandinavia. They should look at winter football, IMO.

For the second year running Azerbaijan have 2 clubs into EL groups. Kazakhstan also had a club in for the second time (previous was 2013-14 plus club in CL groups last season).

I've started to like the Europa League simply because I don't have BT so can avoid the scores and watch the highlights. Champions League doesn't have a highlights show on Tuesday so only half as many matches to take an interest in.

I wish they would make the EL highlights a bit longer and, at least, show all the goals.

Perhaps Chris_DK knows more, but  Zorya Luhansk aren't playing in Luhansk due to the Issues in Eastern Ukraine, Looks like Their games will probably be played at something like Kiev's ground.

• 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

That's a pretty strong United team Mourinho has named

You think? Attack looks decent as they have plenty depth there, but they've changed 3 of the back 4 and both the holding midfielders from the City game. Also, a few players getting their first competitive action this season.

Archived