Scottish Championship Winners/Playoffs/Relegated 16/17

Winners, playoffs, relegated.  

369 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Should be a cakewalk for Hibs, can't see Dumbarton surviving in this league.

Hibs

Falkirk

Dunfermline

Dundee United

St. Mirren

Morton

Queen of the South

Raith Rovers

Ayr United

Dumbarton

Dumbarton have survived in this league for the past 5 years

• Replies 326
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Skelton was manager of Workington in the Northern Premier League for the year before he joined us as Fowler's assistant. He took them to 2nd in their League, 2 points behind FC United of Manchester, but they lost to Ilkeston in the playoffs.

Still tells us virtually nothing about him or how he'll fair as Queens manager.

Still tells us virtually nothing about him or how he'll fair as Queens manager.

True. But he has been a manager before. On the same basis Lennon's spells at Bolton and Celtic tell us virtually nothing about how he'll fair at Hibs and McKinnon's spells at Raith Rovers and Brechin tell us virtually nothing about how he'll fair at Dundee United.

True. But he has been a manager before. On the same basis Lennon's spells at Bolton and Celtic tell us virtually nothing about how he'll fair at Hibs and McKinnon's spells at Raith Rovers and Brechin tell us virtually nothing about how he'll fair at Dundee United.

Well, no. We've all got a fairly good idea of what Lennon is like as a manager, likewise with McKinnon.  Skelton, having managed 1 year a Mickey Mouse Pub League team, is unknown in that respect by fans up here. Nobody knows what style he likes to play and he appears to have had Workington challenging where they should be. Of course, things can pan out in any number of ways at a club, my point was that there is no real measuring post for Skelton and stating FACT that Locke is the worst manager in the league can't really be proven.

On budget alone you'd expect Hibs to stroll it, Falkirk and Dundee United to battle for 2nd/3rd and St Mirren to finish a comfortable 4th without troubling the teams above.

From there, I don't think there's much between Raith, Dunfermline, Queens and Morton. Much of a muchness and a run like we had last year could even see one of these sides beat St Mirren to 4th.

Ayr will be relegated, be it via the play offs or automatically. That's just the way it is, although they'll probably beat us 3 times on the way.

Dumbarton? Underrated. Could easily put one of the mid-tier into the bottom two. Current favourites for me would be QoS but teams don't even have squads finished so impossible to say. Morton may struggle a bit more without McManus. If I had to predict:

Hibs

Dundee United

Falkirk

St Mirren

Raith

Dunfermline

Queen of the South

Dumbarton

Morton

Ayr

Dumbarton? Underrated. Could easily put one of the mid-tier into the bottom two. Current favourites for me would be QoS but teams don't even have squads finished so impossible to say. Morton may struggle a bit more without McManus. If I had to predict:

I'll be perfectly happy if fans, and even better, teams continue to underrate us.  That said, I can't see how any team that's shared the league with us over the last 5 years WILL underrate us, unfortunately.  The only teams that don't know us are Ayr, Dunfermline and Dundee Utd, so I hope they underrate us, big time.

That said, thinking about it with the head, I can't see us being any better than 9th.  Hope springs eternal, though!

Hibs
United (will be settled on final day)

Falkirk (10pts behind United, 10pts ahead St Mirren)

St Mirren
Dunfermline Athletic (will be very close)

Raith 

Queens

Morton

Ayr - to win playoffs

Dumbarton ®

I'll be perfectly happy if fans, and even better, teams continue to underrate us.  That said, I can't see how any team that's shared the league with us over the last 5 years WILL underrate us, unfortunately.  The only teams that don't know us are Ayr, Dunfermline and Dundee Utd, so I hope they underrate us, big time.

That said, thinking about it with the head, I can't see us being any better than 9th.  Hope springs eternal, though!

We didn't in 1995-96

On budget alone you'd expect Hibs to stroll it, Falkirk and Dundee United to battle for 2nd/3rd and St Mirren to finish a comfortable 4th without troubling the teams above.

From there, I don't think there's much between Raith, Dunfermline, Queens and Morton. Much of a muchness and a run like we had last year could even see one of these sides beat St Mirren to 4th.

Ayr will be relegated, be it via the play offs or automatically. That's just the way it is, although they'll probably beat us 3 times on the way.

Hibs

Dundee United

Falkirk

St Mirren

Raith

Dunfermline

Queen of the South

Dumbarton

Morton

Ayr

McManus barely made an impact for us so I don't see why not having him will mean we'll struggle. 

Well, no. We've all got a fairly good idea of what Lennon is like as a manager, likewise with McKinnon.  Skelton, having managed 1 year a Mickey Mouse Pub League team, is unknown in that respect by fans up here. Nobody knows what style he likes to play and he appears to have had Workington challenging where they should be. Of course, things can pan out in any number of ways at a club, my point was that there is no real measuring post for Skelton and stating FACT that Locke is the worst manager in the league can't really be proven.

That "Mickey Mouse Pub League Team" are probably working off a bigger budget than Dumbarton, certainly at least similar.

Skelton has much to prove in a new environment but he's not new to the Scottish game having played almost his whole career up here and, contrary to what you actually said, which is what I picked you up on, he HAS managed a football club before. I don't actually disagree with your point. Dismissing Locke as the worst manager before a ball is kicked is nonsense.

Hibs

Dundee United (optimistically)

Falkirk

Dunfermline

St Mirren

Morton

Raith Rovers

Queen of the South

Ayr

Dumbarton

A lot depends on who we sign - I think we have the right manager in place, but we haven't got any players yet. Hibs should win the league fairly easily unless we pull a few rabbits out of the hat. Wouldn't be hugely shocked if we finish behind Falkirk either.

That "Mickey Mouse Pub League Team" are probably working off a bigger budget than Dumbarton, certainly at least similar.

Skelton has much to prove in a new environment but he's not new to the Scottish game having played almost his whole career up here and, contrary to what you actually said, which is what I picked you up on, he HAS managed a football club before. I don't actually disagree with your point. Dismissing Locke as the worst manager before a ball is kicked is nonsense.

I'm happy to admit that Dumbarton will be (are) filed under the Mickey Mouse Pub League Team banner by many as well.  If Skelton had managed Dumbarton before moving to Workington you'd probably see Workington fans saying similar to me.

I never said he was new to the game - Skelton's playing career up here tells us nothing about his management style though. I was making the point he was new to the management game and we knew very little about him, which clearly you've understood as the point I was trying to make and gone on to be pedantic about it anyway.

Archived