Football Nation EoS Qualifying Cup 2016-17

Rab B Nesbit

22 hours ago, tamthebam said:

There used to be a decent East of Scotland League trophy- you can see it in old photos of title winning teams up to the 1970s. I think I saw such a team photo at Selkirk one day and asked Keith Anderson, who of course won the title with Selkirk, what happened to the trophy. Apparently in the late 1970s the League Secretary moved house and the trophy was lost in the flitting.

so we ended up with what Monty called, when City won it, the "bollock on a stick"!  

It was beyond embarrassing when the Scottish Qualifying Cup  and league trophy were ever together...( tbf it never happened for many teams) 8)8)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 27/02/2017 at 14:10, HibeeJibee said:

Spartans v LTHV in the EOS Qualifying Cup Final confirmed for the new 500-seater indoor stadium at Oriam, Riccarton at 3:30pm on Sunday 19th March:

http://www.spartansfc.com/2017/02/27/football-nation-cup-oriam-to-stage-all-edinburgh-cup-final/

The Final of the 2017 Football Nation Qualifying Cup will take place under the roof at the Oriam sports complex at Heriot Watt’s Riccarton site.

Spartans face East of Scotland title challengers Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale on the indoor synthetic surface on Sunday 19th March with a 3.30pm kick-off.

I believe this will be the first-ever competitive senior game - as opposed to friendlies, U20s, Juniors etc. - played indoors in Scotland. Certainly the first senior cup final.

Bump. Good luck to both Spartans and Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale today in the Final of the EOS Qualifying Cup at The Oriam. I'll be popping along to this one as it's practically on my doorstep. The nearest colours I've got to Hutchie Vale is my old Meadowbank Thistle scarf, so I'll be on their side today cheering on the underdogs. Full  match report will be in next week's Edinburgh City fanzine.

Go Tell The Spartans FC Back Page and Front Cover Year One Issue Seventeen.jpg

Spartans 2-1 LTHV

Took in this final today. Felt LTHV were deserved leaders at HT despite Spartans having hit the bar twice... they looked energetic and composed; goal came from what looked like an overhit cross that fooled the 'keeper although I suppose the winger might claim he saw him off his line. Second half Spartans took a grip upon the game and got 2 goals in reasonably quick succession and although both goalies were called into action in several occasions there was no more scoring. That said LTHV had a couple of excruciating misses and over the 90mins I think extra-time would have been fair. LTHV leave disappointed while Spartans lift only their second cup in half a decade.

Novelty of the first senior indoor game and cup final perhaps encouraged some neutrals along. Certainly excellent crowd with most of the seating well-filled and a line of people along most of the balcony behind. Not having been to an indoor game before I was unsure, but facility is excellent - and massive - and certainly no sense of it being second-best to outdoor.

14 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Spartans 2-1 LTHV

certainly no sense of it being second-best to outdoor.

And if your bollocks are in danger of dropping off you can always go in the cafe for a heat.

57 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Spartans 2-1 LTHV

Took in this final today. Felt LTHV were deserved leaders at HT despite Spartans having hit the bar twice... they looked energetic and composed; goal came from what looked like an overhit cross that fooled the 'keeper although I suppose the winger might claim he saw him off his line. Second half Spartans took a grip upon the game and got 2 goals in reasonably quick succession and although both goalies were called into action in several occasions there was no more scoring. That said LTHV had a couple of excruciating misses and over the 90mins I think extra-time would have been fair. LTHV leave disappointed while Spartans lift only their second cup in half a decade.

Novelty of the first senior indoor game and cup final perhaps encouraged some neutrals along. Certainly excellent crowd with most of the seating well-filled and a line of people along most of the balcony behind. Not having been to an indoor game before I was unsure, but facility is excellent - and massive - and certainly no sense of it being second-best to outdoor.

Well summed up HJ I seen you today but didn't have time to introduce myself. Any idea what the crowd was a few empty seats at the end.

1st time also for me seeing a game there quite liked it I would go back. Excellent programme produced by Football Nation probably one of the best non league ones i've seen in Scotland.

42 minutes ago, The Mantis said:

And if your bollocks are in danger of dropping off you can always go in the cafe for a heat.

The cafe closed at 2.30 good planning by the Oriam folk with the football crowd and some basket ball thing going on at the other side. Could have made a few quid.

21 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Well summed up HJ I seen you today but didn't have time to introduce myself. Any idea what the crowd was a few empty seats at the end.

1st time also for me seeing a game there quite liked it I would go back. Excellent programme produced by Football Nation probably one of the best non league ones i've seen in Scotland.

The cafe closed at 2.30 good planning by the Oriam folk with the football crowd and some basket ball thing going on at the other side. Could have made a few quid.

While we have met (I can't recall the exact circumstances beyond it being Lok v Dalry??) how do you positively ID a neutral at a cup final without saying hello?? Does HJ have a Berwick/Hibs half n' half kit?! 

2 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

While we have met (I can't recall the exact circumstances beyond it being Lok v Dalry??) how do you positively ID a neutral at a cup final without saying hello?? Does HJ have a Berwick/Hibs half n' half kit?! 

Someone I was with mentioned it was him. It was Lok v Dalry I met you at we both know Mick from Ashington.

10 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

aha! And my memory being a bit limited at this stage of the day, did Mick introduce us? 

Aye he was reporting for the Sunday Mail that day and as you say he introduced us, thinking back that was 2009 1st time I was at your ground!

1 hour ago, cowdenbeath said:

Aye he was reporting for the Sunday Mail that day and as you say he introduced us, thinking back that was 2009 1st time I was at your ground!

8-1 iirc? And yeah would have been around then as I moved away 6 mths later.

3 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

Does HJ have a Berwick/Hibs half n' half kit?! 

No idea, but it's safe to say 99% of Junior fans are more likely to have paraphernalia of their preferred half of the Weegie arsecheeks than they are to have anything from "their" club. :whistle

8 hours ago, WaffenThinMint said:

No idea, but it's safe to say 99% of Junior fans are more likely to have paraphernalia of their preferred half of the Weegie arsecheeks than they are to have anything from "their" club. :whistle

Not sure how true that is, in the upper levels anyway. You're basically saying that in a crowd of 100, only 1 person will have a shirt or scarf on? Or at Pollok, 5 or 6 people? 

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Not sure how true that is, in the upper levels anyway. You're basically saying that in a crowd of 100, only 1 person will have a shirt or scarf on? Or at Pollok, 5 or 6 people? 

Having had personal experience of attempting to buy Pollok merchandise in the past from the rat faced spiv with the suitcase, I'm amazed there's that many.

Let's just say on the day the two arsecheeks will be holding their latest mini Battle of the Boyne rematch in the League/Cup/whatever, the Juniors section of P&B will be utterly dead - just as on every other occasion. In other words, those in sugar glass houses shouldn't throw stones. At least HJ's choices don't include Scotland's Shame.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived