Pointless Speculation: How Would Scotland Do?

We'd be bottom of any group, our defence is far too weak. There are some poor sides in this tournament but they are all able to at least make it hard for the other team to score, we can't do that.

You hear this a lot, but we've kept 11 clean sheets in our last 22 games.  The only teams who have scored 3 goals against us in that period have been England, Germany and France.

Our defence clearly isn't good, but it's not the omnishambles people make it out to be.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this tournament was 28 teams strong, we still wouldn't be there. We weren't even one of the losing playoff sides.

So yeah... I think we would be bottom of every group. Not because we have a worse group of players than a lot of countries there, but because we have a hopeless management team.

I was actually happy with four points from Ireland. Wasn't impressed with the performances in either game, but it's about what I'd be expecting to take from them.

A great 4 points, 2 'derbies' that could've went either way. If we'd managed to take 4 points off Poland it would've been an absolutely excellent campaign minus Georgia away.

You hear this a lot, but we've kept 11 clean sheets in our last 22 games. The only teams who have scored 3 goals against us in that period have been England, Germany and France.

Our defence clearly isn't good, but it's not the omnishambles people make it out to be.

We couldn't keep a clean sheet at home to Gibraltar. East Stirlingshire would be disappointed to concede to that gang.

If this tournament was 28 teams strong, we still wouldn't be there. We weren't even one of the losing playoff sides.

So yeah... I think we would be bottom of every group. Not because we have a worse group of players than a lot of countries there, but because we have a hopeless management team.

Sadly totally correct

We couldn't keep a clean sheet at home to Gibraltar. East Stirlingshire would be disappointed to concede to that gang.

Gibraltar should have scored a few goals against Germany if it wasn't for some wonder saves from their keepers in the 2 games.

Losing a goal to a team we thumped twice doesn't have anything to do with the fact we failed to qualify.

Fact is if we beat Georgia away, Ireland would have had too much to do to catch us but we bottled it. There were probably teams in other qualifying groups that could afford a slip up and got away with it but we didn't. 

The fact that Scotland at major tournaments have never had more than 5 points from the 3 group games says we would struggle in most of the groups at the euros. ( in fact no more than 4 points coz in 74 it was 2 points for a win)

I don't think results from 50, 40 or even 20 years ago are hugely relevant to how we'd do now.

I really don't think Northern Ireland achieved much Scotland couldn't in that group.

This tournament has done nothing to convince me that Strachan failed to get them out of a very generous group. On one hand it's quite depressing, but on the other I think our World Cup group is put into perspective.

I really don't think Northern Ireland achieved much Scotland couldn't in that group.

This tournament has done nothing to convince me that Strachan failed to get them out of a very generous group. On one hand it's quite depressing, but on the other I think our World Cup group is put into perspective.

He did fail though. It was a doable task and he failed at it.

Just wondering now it's confirmed that all 3 home nations are in the last 16, does this make it worse, the fact that you're not their

Doesn't really matter to me. Their success shouldn't be discussed unless they played an actual part in our place.

Just wondering now it's confirmed that all 3 home nations are in the last 16, does this make it worse, the fact that you're not their

Yes, only because the sane logical people have to put up with even more horrendous knicker wetting over Strachan.

At this point, I can't imagine anyone seething over Scotland not being at a major tournament; it's standard, like it must have been for the Welsh and Irish for so long. It's nice to see them getting some time in the sun after such a long spell in the shade, and our position doesn't change that, for me at least.

I'll probably die of fright if we ever get past the group stage of a tournament TBH. Surely one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Archived